IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of Acquiring a High-Mileage IS250. . . Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 07:35 AM
JadeRaven
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Acquiring a High-Mileage IS250. . . Thoughts?

Hey guys, here's my first noob post. . .

I have a job coming up where I will likely be commuting 150 miles a day, something like 40,000 miles a year, vast majority highway miles. That leaves me with the conundrum of two major costs: 1) gas 2) maintenance and depreciation by putting that many miles on a car.

I've always liked the Lexus IS, and I was surprised to learn that the car gets such great mileage on the highway (the auto 250 2wd, at least). For mileage I was thinking I would simply buy an already high-mileage car (80k, 120k, ??) and put a lot more miles on it, as opposed to buying a lower mileage car which would face a lot more depreciation if I dumped 60-80k more miles on in a short timespan.

Does this sound like a good idea?

I'm coming out of a G35 coupe so I can't really bring myself to get something more sensible like a Civic. It seems like I could pick up an IS250 for a reasonable price and from what I've recently gathered, it should be able to run quite awhile.

Thanks guys
Old 03-19-12, 08:12 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

There are a few guys on here with well over 100K and no major issues. I would say that if the previous owner maintained it well (ask for records) and its in good shape picking up a higher mileage one at a lower price would be a smart move.
Old 03-19-12, 08:17 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was commuting 40,000 miles a year I'd get a high mileage car as well to avoid getting hit hard with depreciation. The IS is very reliable. The most common nuisance is probably the carbon build-up TSB.
Old 03-19-12, 09:21 AM
JadeRaven
Driver School Candidate

In y'all's knowledge, are there any big dollar items that come due?

And how much could carbon buildup set me back? I've been trying to read through that 50+ page thread in the FAQ.

Seems like the IS benefits from a timing chain and sealed transmission. Maintenance guides all say "inspect" and not "replace" for just about everything. I think "replace" is brake fluid, oil, and spark plugs every so often. And then of course pads and tires like normal wear I presume.

Refreshing.
Old 03-19-12, 09:33 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The IS250 RWD does sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure about the 243 km/day since it would rack up kms quite fast per year unless you're planning to keeping it as long as you can.

You may consider a lower class car for your daily beater car and use the IS as more of your leisure/casual. I am sort of thinking like that myself, as a used Corolla, Yaris, Prius, or CT.
Old 03-19-12, 09:37 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Why not an IS350? doesnt the 250 have belts, as well as the carbon build up
Old 03-19-12, 09:41 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

the 250 has a chain. the only belt you may have to maintain is the serpentine (drive) belt. The carbon build up is an issue but it's not as dramatic as everyone puts it to be.

I've met people with 150k miles on their IS250's (AWD too) and they had no problems.
Old 03-19-12, 09:41 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
The IS250 RWD does sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure about the 243 km/day since it would rack up kms quite fast per year unless you're planning to keeping it as long as you can.

You may consider a lower class car for your daily beater car and use the IS as more of your leisure/casual. I am sort of thinking like that myself, as a used Corolla, Yaris, Prius, or CT.
He Wants the high mileage car to run into the ground it sounds like because he had a G35. He doesn't want a little cheap car.

I'd say do it. You know you like the car and maintenance is basically what you listed along with air and cabin filters which you can do. Good luck and welcome to CL.
Old 03-19-12, 09:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JadeRaven
In y'all's knowledge, are there any big dollar items that come due?

And how much could carbon buildup set me back? I've been trying to read through that 50+ page thread in the FAQ.
depends.

Just doing the top engine clean, which is the old "fix" is like 300-400 bucks I think having a shop do it... at least one guy on here did it himself for a lot less... This doesn't fix the problem, it just cleans up the carbon until it builds up again.

If you want the "new fix" that involves new pistons and rings... that's gonna be well north of a grand... this also doesn't actually fix the problem but is presumed to make it so it's a lot more miles before it reoccurs

Either is covered under the 6 yr/70k mile powertrain warranty... but probably 1/2-2/3rd of 2006 models are beyond this on time alone by now, all 07s are still under it (though mileage will still cut this off of course)

Originally Posted by JadeRaven
Seems like the IS benefits from a timing chain and sealed transmission. Maintenance guides all say "inspect" and not "replace" for just about everything. I think "replace" is brake fluid, oil, and spark plugs every so often. And then of course pads and tires like normal wear I presume.

Refreshing.
Yup.. only scheduled service items are oil (every 5k), brake fluid and air/cabin filters every 30k, spark plugs every 60k, and coolant at 100k.

routine wear items (ie replace when worn out) would be tires, brake pads (and eventually rotors), windshield wipers, and the serpentine belt.
Old 03-19-12, 10:06 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
He Wants the high mileage car to run into the ground it sounds like because he had a G35. He doesn't want a little cheap car.
Ahh in that case, yes a high mileage IS will do then. Drive it until the frame comes off as my co-worker phrases it.

More like when I had the 99 Toyota Solara Camry; drove it for over 370K+ KM before it was on its last legs over a 10 year span.
Old 03-19-12, 10:43 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

since you gonna drive so many miles, it would be smarter to get the is350. no carbon build-up issues and easier to replace the spk plugs. worth the extra $$
Old 03-19-12, 11:20 AM
JadeRaven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carlos3366
since you gonna drive so many miles, it would be smarter to get the is350. no carbon build-up issues and easier to replace the spk plugs. worth the extra $$
Based on my rough calculations the 350 would cost approx 17% more fuel than the 250, or about $1,000 to $1,100 in the first year, assuming gas prices remain constant (ha!).

However if those items are costly enough it might be worthwhile to go for the 350. But then the IS loses a little of its appeal MPG-wise vs my current car and other options.
Old 03-19-12, 11:22 AM
JadeRaven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
Yeah I know in my head I should go that route, even thought of a first-gen honda insight, but I don't think I could subject myself to being in a tiny spartan box for a couple hours every day.
Old 03-19-12, 05:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos3366
But don't forget then you face higher insurance costs and get less gas mileage too. Not saying don't get a 350, just saying the 350 has its downsides too for someone that is going to be putting a lot of miles on one.

I think the IS250 would be a great car for what OP needs, gets good gas mileage and its enough for someone who is doing mostly commuting. IS350 has more power, and still gets pretty good gas mileage....but there'll be a slight increase in gas costs and insurance.

For what its worth, that's what I used my IS250 for all of last year, I put on 30k miles in a year using the car for work. Averaged above 30-32 mpg (~450 miles a tank) and service wise, I only did oil changes (Synthetic) and one Carbon Build-Up TSIB. I couldn't really have asked for a less worry free 30k miles. Highway miles are the best miles, much easier on the car then stop and go mileage....you shouldn't have any problems as long as you buy one that been has been taken care of well before you.
Old 03-19-12, 06:39 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm usually never one to discourage buying Lexus or a 2IS, but in this situation I'd think on it a bit - and keep in mind you're posting on a 2IS owner's forum, so of course you're going to hear that you should get one.

I'm just not sure the IS250 is the best choice here. The first thing that struck me is that you said you're coming from a G35 and so you can't go to something "sensible" like the Civic. Have you driven an IS250? The IS250 will do a 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds. A 4-cylinder Civic or 4-cylinder Accord will do it in the same time, and a V-6 Camry or Accord will do between 6 and 6.5.

Now, I'm not saying 0-60 is everything. But with your statement you seem to be discounting the Civic and other "sensible" cars (I take you to mean cars like the Accord, Civic, Camry, etc) because of the performance aspect. If that's the case, then I feel you're going to be disappointed with the performance of the 250 (I sure was, which is why I went with the 350). Particularly coming from a G35 with 100 more HP and a 0-60 time of closer to 5.8.

So if you're thinking the IS250 because it will offer better performance than those "sensible" cars, I think you'll be disappointed.

The other main concern of yours seems to be cost and fuel economy. All of the aforementioned cars, even the V6 Accords/Camrys, will get as good if not better gas mileage than the IS250. AND they'll all take regular gas instead of premium (yes, the IS250 will take regular, but premium's recommended and I personally wouldn't buy a car under the assumption I'll operate it on gas not recommended by the manufacturer).

Furthermore, those "sensible" cars will be less costly to repair and maintain on average. Yes, the IS250 is an extremely reliable car relative to its competitors. However, there are known issues on the car that are extremely common and extremely expensive (many CL members have had the carbon build-up issue or cam gear issue multiple times, both in and out of warranty, and many have had nav screens fail out of warranty - all of these three issues are $1600-2000 each to repair). Water pumps also appear to be a relative weak point on this car. And those are only the common problems. The car you'll be purchasing will be out of all warranties, so any problem with this car will be out of pocket.

On the whole those "sensible" cars will be at least as if not more reliable than the IS250, and when things go wrong they'll on average be less expensive to repair. With how ridiculously expensive Lexus parts are, and how packed with electronic gadgetry and sensors they are, even one failure can be hugely expensive in the Lexus.

So, these sensible cars will offer the same or better performance (as measured by acceleration - I know that's not all there is to performance, but that's the most commonly used benchmark and the 2IS isn't exactly a track star in terms of handling/steering response/etc), at the same or better gas mileage, at a lower initial cost to purchase AND almost certainly a lower cost to repair/maintain.

I'm not discouraging you from the IS250, I just wouldn't dismiss the above "sensible" cars. I love my IS350 and chose it over those "sensible" cars, but that's because my situation was quite different. If I were looking at a 150 mile daily commute where I'm just going to put it in cruise control and rack up 40,000 miles a year, I guarantee you I would have purchased an Accord or Camry. And even though I went with the IS, I still got it CPO to hedge against expensive potential repairs.

If you do go with the 2IS, here's a guide I compiled for potential buyers: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Last edited by calvin2376; 03-19-12 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Acquiring a High-Mileage IS250. . . Thoughts?