IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS250 Burning Oil Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 09:59 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 IS250 Burning Oil Part 3

So on my last oil change, im picking up the car and as Valet is bring the car up, the guy gets out of the car and tells me the VCS light is on. Right away, he goes and informs the Advisor of this and she comes and checks it out. She tells me to go ahead and continue using the loaner until she can get a diagosis.

Anyway, she comes back and tells me that they ran it through the machine to find that the car was running all types of codes relating to the oil consumption issue i was having last year. She looks up to see if there is any new bulletins on my car about oil consumption and BAM, there is!! It is now considered "NOT NORMAL" to consume oil even though it list that in the manual.

She then contacts the warranty company and funishes this new material to them in hopes of getting handled. They send out and tech (as usual) to come inspect the findings, and Wallaaahhhhh, They go ahead and approve me to have my pistons and rings replaced. Im not sure of the cost involved in this but all i know is that i should have somewhat of a new motor, right?? According the advisor, this is a great thing for me aside from not having to deal wtih this oil biz crap.

Anyway, im sporting in a new lexus (loaner) for the meantime until the work is done. So for anyone that has to go through the same rigamaroe, have the advisor check Lexus Bulletines to see if they can help with any repairs needing to be done to your car...

Ill keep you posted on the outcomes of this repair.
Old 03-20-12, 02:59 PM
azncaboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I totally understand your frustration. I too have went thru this headache. I purchased a used 2008 is 250 not too long ago. After 2000 miles, the Low Oil Engine Level indicator lit up. Went to dealership and they advised that they might of not topped off the oil previously so they filled it up. Another 2000 miles comes by, the indicator lit up again and I went to the dealership for another check. They said it was okay to lose that much oil based on the manual. Then, went in again to see the 3rd advisor and he was helpful in that he opened a claim to Lexus and will be replacing the pistons and pistons rings. Hopefully this headache will end. Crossing my fingers. I just recently purchased the car too. Keep in touch and let me know your story. Good luck!
Old 03-20-12, 03:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This problem has come up a few times and I have noticed that each time it only seems be happening to the 250s. Just to confirm, has anyone with a 350 experience this yet?
Old 03-20-12, 03:51 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

A somewhat new motor? Well, you'll have new pistons and rings. But those pistons aren't original to that motor, so they'll wear differently. Probably causing minor oil consumption and possible "piston slap" issues later down the road.

GL!
Old 03-27-12, 08:56 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Car is back and it is running like a champ. I have not had any issues thus far since i got the car back last week. I ran around town all weekend without any problems. I will keep yuou posted if there is any issues. I am thinking about doign the plugs since they are long overdue. Anybody got any pointers on how to do this smoothly without any problems.

Eddie
Old 03-29-12, 10:50 AM
azncaboy
Driver School Candidate

Hey Eddie. I am glad your car is working fine now. What exactly did they fixed and replaced? Did they tell you what the issue or cause was?
Old 03-29-12, 12:41 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Got a pic of the service printout of all that was replaced?
Old 04-04-12, 01:55 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Default burning oil??

Originally Posted by azncaboy
Hey Eddie. I am glad your car is working fine now. What exactly did they fixed and replaced? Did they tell you what the issue or cause was?
They replaced the pistons and rings on the car in addtion to removing all the carbon buildup in the intake and ports. I just ended up with what i call a"lemon" and my extended warranty picked up the tab for the repairs.

In all honesty, the car was running like crap when i had it. There were times i would be at a stop light and the car woudl idle like it was going to choke. I was told that the idle issue was based on the carbon build up. Still awaiting new bulletin from lexus that sealed the deal for me to get the repairs.
Old 04-04-12, 01:57 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Got a pic of the service printout of all that was replaced?
i have it somwhere. as soon as i find it, i will upload it so you can see it. Total came out to like $6400 with my banging $100 deductible. Glad i bought that warranty!
Old 04-04-12, 02:32 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Bulletin Released for IS250

Here is the bulletin that was released regarding oil consumption. HOpe this helps anyone that is having to deal with this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus bulletin.pdf (475.6 KB, 4082 views)
Old 04-04-12, 02:39 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Default Receipt of repair

gville, here is the receipt i got. IM assuming the super long life cool is the engine flush since they technically had to take the motor out and disconnect the hoses?? Thoughts
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
receipt.pdf (167.1 KB, 747 views)
Old 04-05-12, 09:09 PM
carlosL250
Rookie

I have a very fimiliar error, will my drivetrain warranty cover that?
Old 04-05-12, 09:18 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosL250
I have a very fimiliar error, will my drivetrain warranty cover that?
Yes, check the bulletin from the previous post.
Old 04-06-12, 09:15 PM
dutchboy72
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty will cover me?

I just bought a 2008 IS250 AWD and the oil light came on after 3 days. I brought it to Lexus, and they said it's likely someone put too little in last oil change.

Since then I drove it 2000 miles and now it is down a full quart (half way between the two dots on the dip stick). Will Lexus cover me under the warranty? Is this enough oil usage to get the fix? I notice on the bulletin you posted (thanks) it says 1 quart in 1,200 miles.

I have 65000 miles on it, so I don't have long to get this work done as I believe the powertrain warranty is done at 70000. Thanks so much ...

I've had an RX for 5 years, and not one issue, and now this ... aaagh ...

Last edited by dutchboy72; 04-06-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 09:21 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

I went into the dealer yesterday, they'll change your oil and tell you to come back in 1200 miles to see if the comsumption level is normal. Then they will go on from there. Get on it quick!

Quick Reply: 2008 IS250 Burning Oil Part 3