IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS VS 2012 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS - Differences Exposed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 05:11 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IamNate
Alright so after further review they are painted gloss black on the bottom, I missed the paint towards the projector. The LED lights on these are the whiter match 6000k pretty close. I just think they moved the lens further in so there is less of a chance that bubbling happens not sure. Here is about the best pic I got so far. Just found out they installed/ordered the wrong lights... Will get a new set within the next few weeks. This is such B.S. :\

I've been dealing with this for over a month now. I took my car to one of the dealers here in south florida and they installed those same lights as above. After taking my car back once more and them holding my car for eight hours and nothing done to my car I had no other choice but to call Lexus corporate and have them look into it. I'm not sure what's going to happen now but Lexus mentioned to me that a case manager would be in contact with me within two business days. I've personaly have come to the conlusion that this dealer has these old headlights in their stock and thinking that I would not know the wiser they would unload them on my car and have Lexus pay for old outdated parts sitting on their shelves.
Old 04-23-13, 05:24 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
I've been dealing with this for over a month now. I took my car to one of the dealers here in south florida and they installed those same lights as above. After taking my car back once more and them holding my car for eight hours and nothing done to my car I had no other choice but to call Lexus corporate and have them look into it. I'm not sure what's going to happen now but Lexus mentioned to me that a case manager would be in contact with me within two business days. I've personaly have come to the conlusion that this dealer has these old headlights in their stock and thinking that I would not know the wiser they would unload them on my car and have Lexus pay for old outdated parts sitting on their shelves.
What dealer did you go to?
Old 04-23-13, 05:49 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
What dealer did you go to?
Lexus of North Miami

Also these lights have only been on my car a little over a month now and the driver side headlamp is already starting to bubble.
Old 04-29-13, 01:38 PM
andcas7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Lexus of North Miami

Also these lights have only been on my car a little over a month now and the driver side headlamp is already starting to bubble.
Who was/is your advisor there?
Old 08-20-13, 02:22 PM
bajong
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got my headlights replaced under warranty. I can attest that the bottom portion (where the bubbling occurred) is now a shiny black and I can see the "eyelashes" spoken about earlier in this thread. I haven't seen the lights at night yet as I just picked up the car from the shop this morning. Hope it's nicer than the old lights.

Also, I got my F- sport cold air intake and shift know installed a couple of months ago. I can really hear the difference in the intake when I open up on the highway. I've had the car for 5 moths and love it!
Attached Thumbnails 2011 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS VS 2012 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS - Differences Exposed-image.jpg  
Old 10-09-13, 09:19 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Hi guys,

I just noticed this for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111175568444...84.m1423.l2648

It has the eyebrows and the clear bar at the bottom which is specific for the 2012 version, however upon asking the seller he has confirmed that the paint is matte, not glossy like previous 2012 versions which he has sold in the past.

Is this a transitional headlight going from 2011 ---> 2012 make. I've never seen a hybrid light like this?
Old 10-10-13, 08:10 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IamNate
Yep so my bad, I will wait a few before I get these new lights. Just very annoying. From what I was told by the parts department. These lights they put on the car are the lights right before Lexus came out with the eye lashes. :\
Just had my lights replaced last month and got the old lights without the eyelashes too. My 12 came with the eyelashes but they bubbled. I will wait a little while and see if they bubble again.
Old 10-11-13, 12:53 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgr7

Just had my lights replaced last month and got the old lights without the eyelashes too. My 12 came with the eyelashes but they bubbled. I will wait a little while and see if they bubble again.
Do they have the gloss black strip at the bottom? I have the '12 model with eyelashes and the gloss black strip and no bubbling 10k miles in.

I know people have been stating their '12s have been bubbling, maybe it depends which strip is at the bottom...?
Old 10-18-13, 09:25 AM
lexusAU
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
So thanks to Darrel at Sewell,

I managed to have my 2011 ISx50 Headlights replaced due to the paint bubbling problem.

There were rumors that the revised 2012 Headlights had a different color light output for the LED DRL.

Today, I would like to confirm that the rumors are in fact true to my astonishment (was a non believer lol),

Below are pictures showing the comparison between the 2011 and 2012 headlight.

Can you guess which headlight belongs to which year?

Please note that these images are unedited and straight from my crappy droid camera phone.

Confirmed color / light changes between the headlights are:

MY2011
- Flat Black Inner Paint
- No eye lashes
- Warm White DRL

MY2012 (older)
- Gloss Black Paint
- Eye lashes above the DRL / Projector
- Cool White DRL

MY2012 TSB Version - Present
- Gloss Black Paint (including behind / near the led strip / projector)
- Eye lashes above the DRL / Projector
- Cool White DRL

For Reference the Eye Lashes

... I will be adding more pictures and possibly a video once I get off of work.

- J
Heres a Picture i took using an SLR, which exposes the colour difference from 2011, to 2012 for the 2IS DRL;

Old 02-13-14, 09:06 PM
tbox302
Driver School Candidate

New to the forums but wanted to post my thanks - local dealer here hadn't heard of this TSB and I was supposedly the first they'd done. Got in just under the wire too as I guess it's not covered after 50k miles. They acted like this was a very new bulletin when I told them how I'd heard about it, but I see now this was as far back as 2012... Anyway new lights look great and are covered for another year if the bubbling comes back.
Old 04-10-14, 08:16 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the left headlight on my 2012 IS350 replaced today because of the bubbling issue. To my surprise, I noticed that the color of the replaced headlight was much warmer and less brighter than the original one. They look almost identical otherwise in terms of having the eyelash and the glossy black paint etc.

This thread has me confused about which ones are older and which ones are newer (without the bubbling issue). Could someone please advise if I should bring it up with the dealer and have it replaced? Or do all the newer headlights have the warmer color, so there's no point in making a fuss over this?

The part # they replaced on the invoice is 81185-53543. Is this the correct one?
Attached Thumbnails 2011 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS VS 2012 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS - Differences Exposed-img_1336.jpg  

Last edited by babaliont; 04-10-14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 12:41 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Jus copped lights from ebay and went through the 76 threads on LEDs and almost a full day to install only realize that they are 2011 lights :/

I have 6000k lo beams and fogs. Looks way better but not blue at all.
Old 09-12-14, 11:14 PM
KidKihei
4th Gear

Howzit! I bought the Sewell headlamp retro-fit kit for my 2006 IS350. I was so excited to receive them! Took them over to the Servco Lexus Maui dealer for installation. Already there's a problem! Apparrently the bumper cannot be replaced due to protruding headlight brackets and they can't get the DRL to work! Can someone please answer a simple question that Sewell did not....Will the LED lights function as DRL? Or, is it still the High Beam? If the LED are not DRL then I can wire them into the ignition so they act like DRL and just turn off my AUTO switch. I never use the High Beams anyway! The HID are bright enough at 8000K! I'd really appreciate the help. Plenty Mahalos!
Old 09-13-14, 12:28 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KidKihei
Howzit! I bought the Sewell headlamp retro-fit kit for my 2006 IS350. I was so excited to receive them! Took them over to the Servco Lexus Maui dealer for installation. Already there's a problem! Apparrently the bumper cannot be replaced due to protruding headlight brackets and they can't get the DRL to work! Can someone please answer a simple question that Sewell did not....Will the LED lights function as DRL? Or, is it still the High Beam? If the LED are not DRL then I can wire them into the ignition so they act like DRL and just turn off my AUTO switch. I never use the High Beams anyway! The HID are bright enough at 8000K! I'd really appreciate the help. Plenty Mahalos!
1) you have to tap a wire. Please use search

2) ... 8000k HID is DIMMER than stock Stock is brightest!!! As the Kelvin number goes UP, light output goes DOWN.
Old 09-13-14, 10:10 AM
KidKihei
4th Gear

1.) Looking for illustrated instructions. Can LED be converted to DRL or not? Anyone? TIA!

2.) I realize the 8000K is not as bright as stock. I'm more interested in the color.

Last edited by KidKihei; 09-14-14 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS VS 2012 ISx50 HEADLIGHTS - Differences Exposed