IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what Kind of tint should i get?

Old 03-12-12, 03:45 PM
Blacksweat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what Kind of tint should i get?

Hey everyone.. deciding to Tint my car this week. just wondering what looks good on an IS in regards to how dark the tint will be. Also wondering if i shud illegally tint my front driver and passenger sides. Please post up pictures of your cars, a good side shot picture pls.
i really need help deciding.
Attached Thumbnails what Kind of tint should i get?-lexus-isf.jpg  
Old 03-12-12, 03:58 PM
yoegster
Driver

Default 35

Posted this in your wheel thread. Here is a very similar look with 35 all around.
Attached Thumbnails what Kind of tint should i get?-photo_2.jpg  
Old 03-12-12, 04:00 PM
Blacksweat
Driver School Candidate

yeaa that actuallly looks clean... is it legal in your state for the front 2 tinted @ 35%? In california we are at 70% minimum for the fronts =( ..... u think it wud b weird looking to get the fronts @ 70% and the rears darker?
Old 03-12-12, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I have 35/20 on blk/blk. transitions well
Old 03-12-12, 04:06 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksweat
Hey everyone.. deciding to Tint my car this week. just wondering what looks good on an IS in regards to how dark the tint will be. Also wondering if i shud illegally tint my front driver and passenger sides. Please post up pictures of your cars, a good side shot picture pls.
i really need help deciding.
Go with what you think is good. As far as legality, it's your risk, not ours. Most people have illegal front tints anyway. Depends how strict your area is and if you're willing to risk the ticket.

2IS tint thread
Old 03-12-12, 04:06 PM
Blacksweat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I have 35/20 on blk/blk. transitions well
pls post picture if u can
Old 03-12-12, 04:11 PM
yoegster
Driver

yeaa that actuallly looks clean... is it legal in your state for the front 2 tinted @ 35%? In california we are at 70% minimum for the fronts =( ..... u think it wud b weird looking to get the fronts @ 70% and the rears darker?
Thanks. Many SUVs come with rear windows tinted at 30 and front with nothing. It's a little weird looking and IMO would look weird on a car. I'd check. Crap.... I just found this link...
http://www.windowtint.com/california.html - 70 wow....

Last edited by yoegster; 03-12-12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 04:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

pls post picture if u can
35/20 in light

35/20 in certain angles/light
Old 03-12-12, 04:28 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say it would also depend on the combination of on both the exterior and interior color of the vehicle.

You could try 40% all around. I have F1 pinnacle 40 all around and Air Blue 80 on the front windshield as well.

For the tints I wanted it to two places...
1) WA the VLT% is 24% so the lowest tint I can go to is 30%, since the windows is 70% to begin with.
2) In BC, Canada you can tint windows at any % you want, except for the front driver/passenger windows.

Based on that, I chose the films above so I can go all around. This also makes the car not look high profile if I were to go all around, as the legitimate cars which in Canada which I have some go dark as 5% (limo tint) on the windows which they are allowed to tint which makes it look high profile. My friend put 5% on his 2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo on the rear window. As long as the front driver/passenger can still be seen, the police don't really bother, as I have had them go by me and nothing happened.

Just to add on top, Canada does enforce the tints and have the right to "cut/slash" an illegal tint on the spot with a razor blade at the officer's discretion if drivers are caught.

The front windshield tint, is technically not legal but since it's 80%, no one will notice it unless one is trying to look for it; at a glance looks like stock, with a bit more color to it (from the blue in the tint). Also to the person's interpretation 20% light difference is hard to differentiate unless it is beside another of the exact same window without the tint on it.

Just posting the photos which I posted on the USB thread.

Llumar Air Blue 80 (with and without flash)

F1 Pinnacle 40 (no flash)

Last edited by Sango; 03-12-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 04:41 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

I like 5% all around and 35% on the windshield.
Old 03-12-12, 10:44 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like it dark and 3M of course :P
Old 03-13-12, 03:29 PM
KLB428
Driver School Candidate

On my Tahoe I had 5% all around...(In TX its legal for any % on the back but 20% on the front)..I loved it being so dark inside during the day but at night it was difficult to see unless the street you were driving on was well lit. I ended up dropping the front down to 20%, I miss the darker tint but its just so much of a headache to find a shop that will pass you on inspection every year. My 250 has 35% all around and I'm looking to go 20% all around very soon.

My vote is to go as dark as your state allows and go darker if your willing to risk tickets and multiple trips to mechanic shops.
Old 03-13-12, 05:15 PM
ISPanda
Rookie

I have 35% all the way around. cops here in cali are mainly concerned about being able to see the driver through the window. If he pulls along side you and can see what you're doing. You'll be ok. however.. You might be parking on the street and be given a ticket though...

That'll suck.

If you're paranoid. You can always open the sunroof to let more light in.
Old 03-13-12, 07:09 PM
sxue
Driver School Candidate

I live in cali and im thinking about doing 30/20..
we'll see though..
Old 03-13-12, 07:35 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I went really dark (limo) all rear windows just to protect my leather from the excrusiating heat during Summer. I went lighter in the front so I won't be targeted by cops and get pulled over. Tint is not legal and even if you have the lightes tint in the front, if you got wrongly pulled over, the cops may still get you for tint. It happend to me about fours years ago. I still did not have my plates. I had medium tint all over. CHP asked me for registration and insurance. I had everything in orde,r but he continued writing a fix citation for having tint in the front windows. If you always drive with your windows down, then you will be ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what Kind of tint should i get?