IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus just replaced pistons on my 2006 IS 250!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 06:36 AM
Natash2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past 7 months, I had to get a recall done on my engine, and the camshaft gears needed to be replaced. Then I started to see the low engine oil light, brought it in, they tested it for LEAKS but not burning (which you think they would after all of these consistent problems across the IS250 fleet)...so I brought it in again and now of course they say the rings are bad, and they will also replace the pistons due to the carbon buildup service bulletin. I've been going back and forth with the dealership and corporate telling them I want a short block- Does anyone have ANY advice to give me if they come back and say NO to the short block? I have 2k left in my warrant and don't want bandaid repairs done to my engine.
Old 07-10-12, 06:45 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Natash2008
In the past 7 months, I had to get a recall done on my engine, and the camshaft gears needed to be replaced. Then I started to see the low engine oil light, brought it in, they tested it for LEAKS but not burning (which you think they would after all of these consistent problems across the IS250 fleet)...so I brought it in again and now of course they say the rings are bad, and they will also replace the pistons due to the carbon buildup service bulletin. I've been going back and forth with the dealership and corporate telling them I want a short block- Does anyone have ANY advice to give me if they come back and say NO to the short block? I have 2k left in my warrant and don't want bandaid repairs done to my engine.
The short block would be replace if there are scratches on the block walls. If there are no scratches after the tech inspected, Lexus wouldn't replace it. Lexus did only the piston, piston ring replacement on my 250 and it's fine.
Old 07-10-12, 01:02 PM
Silvicious
Rookie

What do you mean when you say "rough idling". Rough as in it idles high or as in it makes a rough noise?
Old 08-15-12, 06:15 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard and shakes
Old 08-15-12, 06:22 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car is an 2006 is250 with 53xxx miles ATM
I have the CPO warranty that cost me about 2.5k
I was wondering if I am still able to get this done? I got rough idles about 3 times in the last year of owning this car
Old 08-15-12, 06:34 PM
CoderDan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
Just picked up my car today after the repair. Before the pistons and other parts were replaced the car does in fact idle very rough and poor, mine is a 2010 with 45k miles I purchased it with only 5 miles. With that said, after the parts were replaced the car idles and drives very smooth and the throttle is a lot more responsive. If anyone needs this TSB done in Nor Cal, feel free to PM me I can refer you to the best advisor ever (guarantee approval)

I like the 7th item down the list, "super long life cool". maybe i should get me some of that
Old 08-15-12, 07:52 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

how much this costs if out of warranty?
Old 08-19-14, 08:13 AM
06GS300755
Driver School Candidate

Default Pistons replaced, but piston wall is damaged and Lexus won't replace the short block

For almost a year I have been going back and forth with Lexus regarding an oil consumption issue on my 2006 GS300. Just a couple of weeks ago my car finally "qualified" for the extended warranty replacement of my pistons. Upon opening the engine, they realized that one of the six piston walls was smooth, and told me that I needed a new short block. Clearly they believed that this was a result of the faulty pistons that they were replacing at Lexus' cost, because they only left me a message letting me know that the part was on order and it would be a few extra days. Then I received a call from my service rep indicating that because Lexus couldn't locate device history on the car prior to my ownership (approx. 100k) they could not authorize the replacement because they suddenly attributed the damage to the cylinder to lack of oil maintenance. Now they are telling me that I need to replace the block at my own cost. I feel that this is simply Lexus' way of avoiding the repair, but simply shifting blame. As a woman who unfortunately knows little about cars, I don't have the knowledge power to effectively argue with them. Any opinions or thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Is it possibly that the faulty pistons could have caused this issue? Or is it the truth that this could have only been caused by lack of oil maintenance?

Note, due to the ongoing piston issue, my engine has been internally burning about 3/4 quart of oil per 1200 miles. Also, Lexus replaced a timing seal and forgot to seal my oil pan, which resulted in a major oil loss between one of my services.
Old 08-19-14, 08:39 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear that especially coming from a Lexus. A Ford from 1980 yes I can see(literally- been there done that on my dads vehicles) having a new engine be done. But a Lexus? Damn. This is why I never bought an American car for these types of problems. Weird.
Old 08-19-14, 08:42 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06GS300755
For almost a year I have been going back and forth with Lexus regarding an oil consumption issue on my 2006 GS300. Just a couple of weeks ago my car finally "qualified" for the extended warranty replacement of my pistons. Upon opening the engine, they realized that one of the six piston walls was smooth, and told me that I needed a new short block. Clearly they believed that this was a result of the faulty pistons that they were replacing at Lexus' cost, because they only left me a message letting me know that the part was on order and it would be a few extra days. Then I received a call from my service rep indicating that because Lexus couldn't locate device history on the car prior to my ownership (approx. 100k) they could not authorize the replacement because they suddenly attributed the damage to the cylinder to lack of oil maintenance. Now they are telling me that I need to replace the block at my own cost. I feel that this is simply Lexus' way of avoiding the repair, but simply shifting blame. As a woman who unfortunately knows little about cars, I don't have the knowledge power to effectively argue with them. Any opinions or thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Is it possibly that the faulty pistons could have caused this issue? Or is it the truth that this could have only been caused by lack of oil maintenance?

Note, due to the ongoing piston issue, my engine has been internally burning about 3/4 quart of oil per 1200 miles. Also, Lexus replaced a timing seal and forgot to seal my oil pan, which resulted in a major oil loss between one of my services.
Sorry to hear this.

If the rings on the piston scored the cylinder wall this would explain your consumption. Do know that 3/4 qt of oil in 1200 miles isn't within the actual 'concern' zone for most car companies.

If say you have 150K on the car, and you have owned it for the last 100K without issue their logic is not wrong but it's unlikely. Unless, you've had oil issues from day one. The question I have is did you buy it CPO'd or from a Lexus dealer? If so you should be covered.

I would arguee their failure to seal your oil pan caused any 'damaged' their claim is your fault. Get all your paperwork in order and let them know you will not be financially harmed by their mechanics failure to do his job properly. This 'harm' should set off some legal alarm bells with them. Damages to you will be considered harm as a result of a failure to properly do work. The dealership has insurance to cover their mechanics failure.

The real problem here will be who's at 'fault'? Lexus isn't liable for their dealers failures and the dealer not required to authorize work. This creates a legal challenge for you when attempting to get two parties to share the cost of the work.

If you infact have the carbon build up, expect Lexus to cover the heads/pistons. Damage to the short block may in fact be the result of a failure to seal the pan.

Some questions come up.
1. Did your 'oil low light' come on? If you have one in the GS
2. How long did you run on low oil?
3. When they fixed the pan did you get paperwork?
4. Has all major service been done at your Lexus dealership?
5. How many miles on the car? HOw many miles when you bought it?

Edit// another often overlooked issue when oil consumption starts is changing the PCV valve, which is about $14. It's known to gum up over time and result in excessive consumption.

Last edited by robtwo; 08-19-14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 08:48 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06GS300755

I know maybe you don't want to but my suggestion is to get a automobile attorney that specializes in repairs and lemon cars. Had to do this once via corporate and once THEIR legal department got a hold of the letter that got their attention. Also do some leg work and write a letter to their legal department explaining just as you have done here and tell them you won't min litigating this. Good luck going forward.
Old 08-19-14, 05:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If the cylinder walls are undamaged and are not egg-shaped, a machine shop can simply re-hone the bore to add a new cross-hatch. If the pistons are good, just replace the piston rings, and you're good-to-go. Of course, all easier said than done, right! But it's definitely cheaper than a new short block.

GL!