IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus is 350 tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 01:52 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bfg g-forces before.... on my saturn sl2. they are overpriced for what they are worth plus they are heavy cuz they are runflats.
i think khumo came out with atire called 4x summer performance tire dont recall exactly what class. but its testing on tire rack was almost equal to the continental dws.
i might look into those they were price as good as the v12's and everyone i know in sfl likes khumo ecstas
Old 03-08-12, 02:55 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my $.02. I had the stock bridgestone potenzas on my 350 and they lasted 40,000 miles. I dont drive that hard and do almost all highway. I have continental DWS on there now and i'm at 95,000 miles with tread remaining. they will no doubt last me to 105,000 miles, so you're looking at 65,000 miles on the tires. great tread life.

If you've researched the DWS, the letters wear off as tread goes down. The S wears off and they're only ok for Dry and Wet. The W wears off and they're only ok for Dry. when the D is gone, you need new tires. My S is just about to be gone.

As far as performance...they're good for what they are. Its a soft, all season tire. The sidewall is very soft compared to the bridgestones, which killed some of the fun but its a quieter and smoother ride.

After i got used to it, I was actually kind of impressed. I can push them pretty hard on on ramps and off ramps, and they're predictable. After the initial sidewall "slop" is taken up, you can push them pretty hard.

There is quite the misconception around these DWS tires though. I've read it on forums and heard it from tire shops. They are marketing them as track tires that are good in the snow. that is absolutely not the case. Compared to a dedicated summer tire, they suck, and compared to a dedicated winter tire....they suck.

you really have to decide what you're ok with and what you want. Im in the market soon as well, and i'll either be going witih the V12's or Continental DW's. The V12's are nice and cheap but i know they wont last long, and the DW's are the summer version of the DWS's. With the mileage i've gotten out of mine, i have high hopes for the DW's....and they're not that much more expensive than the V12's.

good luck!
Old 04-02-12, 11:12 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the Hankook V12's for 17k miles now and they have been a good tire. Tread is almost all but gone on fronts, will replace in month or two. They look good on the car and for the price have not dissapointed. Hankook currently offering $80 rebate thru June 30th but price not my main concern. I really want a GREAT set of tires. May just go with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
Old 04-02-12, 12:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sirCharles
Had the Hankook V12's for 17k miles now and they have been a good tire. Tread is almost all but gone on fronts, will replace in month or two. They look good on the car and for the price have not dissapointed. Hankook currently offering $80 rebate thru June 30th but price not my main concern. I really want a GREAT set of tires. May just go with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
The PS2 actually came in slightly behind the Hankook v12 in testing...

the tire you'd want from Michelin if you don't care about price is the Pilot Super Sport

Curious when you say tread's almost gone on yours though- do you mean just the inner tread? because that's a common problem on the 2IS usually fixed with proper alignment and inflation.

I'm at almost 15k on my v12s and they appear to have tons of tread left FWIW