Lease takeover - sweetheart deal, modified car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 01:59 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lease takeover - sweetheart deal, modified car

Hey guys,

Just want to open up discussion on this situation, and hear your thoughts about pricing.

I currently have a Starfire White Pearl on Ecru IS-250 auto, no options. 36 month lease, 10k year. I paid the down payment up front, and my current lease rate is $364/mo (which is an amazing deal).

As of right now, the car has unscathed 18" TSW bronze wheels, Tein S springs, high end tinted windows, HID upgrade, and various other reversible modifications that have little pricing impact (i.e. vinyled grille, debadged, etc). And all stocks parts are still in my possession.

The car is absolutely spotless, with 22 months left on the lease, with slightly more miles than expected. I have never even parked the car between two cars yet. It is absolutely babied.

NOW...I may be relocating from Miami to NYC with my girlfriend over the next 4-8 months. I will have no choice but to terminate my lease while I am still in Miami (the RWD is a hard sell in NY, when an AWD variant exists).

Should I:

A. Pay the labor to swap back the springs and wheels, then sell the wheels and springs here? Then list on swapalease or do a deal here?
B. Keep the car as is, and advertise on swap-a-lease hoping that someone doesnt mind the mods, or would be more interest in a buy-out with lexus financial?

....what would be a reasonable price? In all honesty, I think I should list the car at the exact lease PMT of $364, with an upfront offer on the mods.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, and if anyone is interested, please feel free to shoot me a PM. Again, this transaction would not be able to take place for another few months.
Old 03-06-12, 02:09 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I think your best bet is to put it back to stock and try to sell it back to the dealer or swap lease.com. Maybe you can find someone local who wants your springs and other mods and they can perhaps do the suspension swap. It would be a whole lot easier and cheaper. Plus they can just take out there whole stock strut with spring and swap for yours. Good luck.
Old 03-06-12, 02:28 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
I think your best bet is to put it back to stock and try to sell it back to the dealer or swap lease.com. Maybe you can find someone local who wants your springs and other mods and they can perhaps do the suspension swap. It would be a whole lot easier and cheaper. Plus they can just take out there whole stock strut with spring and swap for yours. Good luck.
^^^^^ Agree......
Old 03-06-12, 02:43 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Zero negotiations with lexus unless im replacing the car...which isnt an option, seeing as the whole point in dumping the car is because it would cost me 500/mo to park it in manhattan.

I agree that it may be easier to market in stock form, however there are some variables.

Should I sell in NY or FL?

If FL - I may be able to keep the car modified, as lining up a Miami buyer for a modified IS is not the hardest thing to do here. HOWEVER, timing would be crucial, since I would need to rent a car for my remaining days here to commute to current workplace.

If NY - Little market for a modified IS - would have to part out. Although, I will be able to store the car at a families place in the burbs (no need to firesale the lease, and/or aftermarket parts) HOWEVER, marketing a RWD IS in New York sounds difficult, no? The whole reason I got such a good deal on the car was because I purposely leased the car in NY to bring to FL - it was a leftover RWD version that no one wanted. Something like 90% of sales in NY are for IS AWDs.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-12, 05:45 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

What's KBB? Could buy it and sell it as is or unmodded a lot easier than a lease transfer. I tried a lease transfer through Lexus financial services 2 years ago and they kept convienienty losing my paperwork... I have since bought it out tho