IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VSC and Check Engine Lights (IS250 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-12, 01:34 PM
apocopa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VSC and Check Engine Lights (IS250 2007)

I know there have been many posts on the "check VSC" warning light. But most of them are older and I am hoping I can get some more current insight...

I started and stopped my (2007) IS250 the other day and noticed a shudder. Upon starting it up the next day the car almost stalled and the check VSC, traction control and Engine lights came on. It has been running fine since but the lights still come on.

I am curious if there are any recalls (given all the discussion on this) and what might be causing it. Or more importantly if there are any quick fixes before I shell out to a dealer. It seems pretty hit and miss but any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by apocopa; 03-03-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 01:47 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Every CEL situation is different, But in your case it sounds like carbon build up. There a tsb on it if your still under warranty it free.
Old 03-03-12, 01:48 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you did any searching on CL for this issue, Im sure you came across the carbon build-up issue, which is what you have.

Search CL for "carbon build-up" - there's a massive many-page thread on it. No need for a new thread, that one's current. It's covered by your 6 year/70k powertrain warranty.
Old 03-04-12, 10:14 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had the same issue. 06 is250 awd. Dealer said the breather tube on the intake was disconnected. Car seems to be running fine now. Though I'm a touch puzzled about how that caused that and misfires on 5 cylinders
Old 03-05-12, 01:30 PM
apocopa
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

Found this solution and it solved it for now...

1) Drive car to full operating temperature. You want to evaluate the difference resetting the computer makes on the response, so you want to leave everything else constant - such as engine temp. Pay attention to any idle vibration you feel in gear.
2) Power off, and remove the negative battery cable (10mm socket required). Leave off for 10 minutes or so. I discharged the system completely by pressing the brake pedal.
3) Reconnect negative battery cable
4) Restart and drive.

It's all good now, now stalling, no warning lights. My car isn't under warranty so I would need to pay for the service. Any idea on how much it costs out of pocket?
Old 03-05-12, 03:11 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by apocopa
UPDATE:

Found this solution and it solved it for now...

1) Drive car to full operating temperature. You want to evaluate the difference resetting the computer makes on the response, so you want to leave everything else constant - such as engine temp. Pay attention to any idle vibration you feel in gear.
2) Power off, and remove the negative battery cable (10mm socket required). Leave off for 10 minutes or so. I discharged the system completely by pressing the brake pedal.
3) Reconnect negative battery cable
4) Restart and drive.

It's all good now, now stalling, no warning lights. My car isn't under warranty so I would need to pay for the service. Any idea on how much it costs out of pocket?
I may be missing something but your solution appears to just involve resetting the battery, which clears CEL codes. That doesn't fix any problems - it just makes codes go away until the root problem throws a code again.

The carbon build-up issue (which is what your issue sounds to be, though of course it could be other things) costs about $1600-1800 at a dealer out of pocket I believe.
Old 03-08-12, 10:08 AM
Mikey27
Driver School Candidate

Agree with the posts that each situation is unique. I had the same issue, but when I went in-they said I had a defective gas cap and it was letting air in. Not sure how true this was, but they replaced the gas cap and I haven't had the problem come back since.

Hope it's fixed under warranty
Old 01-03-15, 09:44 AM
dzynda
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys/gals, I'm new here and new to lexus ownership. I just bought a 06 is250awd and the lights have gone one twice now. I tend to believe the gas cap theory although I'm going to read the carbon buildup thread. I had an 06 4runner V8 limited before this, my wife had put gas in it and forgot to install the gas cap twice in the four years and 90,000 we owned it. The dash warning lights all came on in the same manor. I had codes pulled and there were so many we didn't know where to start. I then reset it and waited to see what came back on, it didn't until the gas cap was left off again.
Old 02-14-15, 11:47 AM
dzynda
Driver School Candidate

Default update

Well I brought my lexus in and they checked the vin the car was serviced back at 32000 miles for carbon build up it now has 105000 and who knows how long the lights have been coming on. Like I said we just bought the car, it qualified for customer care program or whatever they call it. They removed the engine tore it down replaced the valves and seals pistons and rings. I was told that they would even replace the block if needed because people just keep driving it and not get it fixed. I was also told this is 9 year unlimited millage program. I had the water pump, drive belt, plugs replaced while it was being repaired as the 120000 mile maintenance. Anyone out there having this problem I suggest getting it done asap.

Last edited by dzynda; 02-14-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 12:35 PM
shahhaider
Driver School Candidate

whats up guys , i have lexus is 250 . i have not started my car for one mounth . As the result battery died . i took off the battery from the car and recharged it . after instalation my car did not start and check vsc light appeared . can any one know the solution .
Old 03-10-16, 12:06 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we pass smog with tpms and check vsc light on ? Thanks I'm in California orange county just wondering
Old 03-10-16, 02:39 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by trippy
Can we pass smog with tpms and check vsc light on ? Thanks I'm in California orange county just wondering
Is the check engine light on too? In almost all jurisdictions, having the check engine light on is an automatic fail. So is resetting the CEL before bringing it in, as the readiness flags won't be set. Having the TPMS light on should not be a problem.
Old 03-10-16, 05:13 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Is the check engine light on too? In almost all jurisdictions, having the check engine light on is an automatic fail. So is resetting the CEL before bringing it in, as the readiness flags won't be set. Having the TPMS light on should not be a problem.

no check light only check vsc ,track light and now tpms lol
with all these llights on i miss my civic mod all day no light

Old 03-10-16, 09:27 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trippy

no check light only check vsc ,track light and now tpms lol
with all these llights on i miss my civic mod all day no light

theres no way u can miss that car
Old 04-17-16, 11:35 AM
powner
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 is250

guys

my lexus has passed the 6 yr/70k powertrain warranty. Given this carbon build-up issue is so common, is Lexus corporate likely to help out and fix it without a fee?

Thx

Quick Reply: VSC and Check Engine Lights (IS250 2007)