IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 0-60

Old 03-01-12, 05:34 AM
dmpus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is350 0-60

Just installed this super cool app "torque pro" on my phone and of course first thing was to check how fast would my is350 do 0-60 = 6.0 sec.. little dissapointed. Any tips from those who run 0-60s occasionally? You go auto or tiptronic mode? disable traction or leave it on? Sorry for the noob question.
I have come across this video of a guy who does under 5 sec. Anybody else gone under 5?
P.S. also sorry if that topic has been discussed, couldn't find anything by "0-60"
Old 03-01-12, 05:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpus
Just installed this super cool app "torque pro" on my phone and of course first thing was to check how fast would my is350 do 0-60 = 6.0 sec.. little dissapointed. Any tips from those who run 0-60s occasionally? You go auto or tiptronic mode? disable traction or leave it on? Sorry for the noob question.
I have come across this video of a guy who does under 5 sec. Anybody else gone under 5?
P.S. also sorry if that topic has been discussed, couldn't find anything by "0-60"
Quite a few folks have done it under 5.

Quickest times:

Leave it in D. The paddles aren't shifters, stop thinking they are.

Leave it in ECT-NORMAL, not ECT-POWER.

Turn off traction control AND VSC. To do this on an 07+ you hold the button down for 5 seconds until 2 lights appear on the dash. For an 06 you do the pedal dance.

Anything beyond that will depend on weather, and your tires. Colder and dryer is better for weather.

Launch first by just flooring the gas, see if your tires spin at all (it'll depend on temp and how good the itres are, as well as how good the surface is). If they don't spin then next time you can try brake torquing up a bit before launch, keep going higher till you get tire spin, then back off a step.

If they spin just flooring it with no brake torque then get better tires

Beyond that you want a straight, flat, dry road... and as little weight as possible in the car (no passengers, 1/8-1/4 tank of gas, no extras in the trunk... if you are hardcore you can take out the spare tire, first aid kit, floor mats, etc...)

Last edited by Kurtz; 03-01-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 07:38 AM
maticcis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only a 6.0 0-60???? That s kinda sad. Dident Lexus have our car at 5.6 and forums members average around 5.0-5.2??? Were you on a flat road?
Old 03-01-12, 07:42 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Are you using premium gas? How many miles on your car? Any mods?
Old 03-01-12, 07:52 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all, remember that you're using an iPhone app, not a VBOX. You're not going to get exact or consistent numbers. Here's an article comparing the two: http://www.motivemag.com/pub/news/Te...sus_VBox.shtml

Second, it doesn't sound like you were properly prepared. Using Kurtz's tips above will maximize your time.

Finally, you can never totally control for road conditions, elevation, weather, etc. And your tires are likely not the best candidates for a sub-5 second run.
Old 03-01-12, 08:13 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come on guys he says a app for a iphone how accurate could that be?
Old 03-01-12, 08:39 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I would start by not expecting an iPhone app to be correct.
Old 03-01-12, 10:18 AM
dmpus
Rookie

Its actually droid app which communicates with a Bluetooth OBD transmitter. It claims to be pretty accurate.
The tires are I believe stock Bridgestone, really not the best...
The car is 09 at 52k miles, sport package with F-sport intake. Nothing else performance wise..
I use only premium Shell gas.
Regardless the 0-60 results that transmitter along with the app make some pretty cool gadget. It gives tons of info instantly as you drive, no cables involved. Easy plug&play...
It reads things such as: HP, 0-60, 1/4ml, mpg, temps, OC2 sensor readings, CEL code readings etc..
This device might have been discussed here already.
Old 03-01-12, 10:44 AM
dmpus
Rookie

here is some screen shots

The rest with all options here: CLICK
Old 03-01-12, 11:15 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The tires are I believe stock Bridgestone, really not the best...
That right there is your problem...and oh yea the droid app. The stock tires are some of the worst tires I have experience for performance
Old 03-02-12, 07:52 PM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Quite a few folks have done it under 5.

Quickest times:

Leave it in D. The paddles aren't shifters, stop thinking they are.

Leave it in ECT-NORMAL, not ECT-POWER.

Turn off traction control AND VSC. To do this on an 07+ you hold the button down for 5 seconds until 2 lights appear on the dash. For an 06 you do the pedal dance.

Anything beyond that will depend on weather, and your tires. Colder and dryer is better for weather.

Launch first by just flooring the gas, see if your tires spin at all (it'll depend on temp and how good the itres are, as well as how good the surface is). If they don't spin then next time you can try brake torquing up a bit before launch, keep going higher till you get tire spin, then back off a step.

If they spin just flooring it with no brake torque then get better tires

Beyond that you want a straight, flat, dry road... and as little weight as possible in the car (no passengers, 1/8-1/4 tank of gas, no extras in the trunk... if you are hardcore you can take out the spare tire, first aid kit, floor mats, etc...)

May I ask reason why leave ECT-normal not ECT-power?

thanks

Wesley
Old 03-02-12, 08:01 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wslwang
May I ask reason why leave ECT-normal not ECT-power?

thanks

Wesley
ECT-PWR actually has a lower RPM shift point than ECT-normal. In normal, the car will go to red line. In power, it'll shift at around 6300 rpms. I presume this is because, while in power mode, the car will hold the same gear when you let off the gas instead of immediately up-shifting. It doesn't want to hold it in gear at 6500 rpms in order to prevent damage to the engine. (This is my guess as I don't have anything to back it up. The shift point is factual though.)
Old 03-03-12, 11:32 AM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anthrax144
ECT-PWR actually has a lower RPM shift point than ECT-normal. In normal, the car will go to red line. In power, it'll shift at around 6300 rpms. I presume this is because, while in power mode, the car will hold the same gear when you let off the gas instead of immediately up-shifting. It doesn't want to hold it in gear at 6500 rpms in order to prevent damage to the engine. (This is my guess as I don't have anything to back it up. The shift point is factual though.)
That makes sense to me now. thanks

WW
Old 03-03-12, 01:04 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I've seen videos of 4.6-5 seconds, so maybe the app isnt super correct.