Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY - How to Cover Things with Real Carbon Fiber

Old 02-28-12, 01:32 PM   #31
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position
Trader Score: (11)

nice! great work!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 02-28-12, 01:37 PM   #32
Quik208
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)

Splitiy

Sweet write up!
Quik208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 10:53 AM   #33
ISRabbit
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

I've been wanting to learn to do this. Thanks to the great write up it gave me the motivation and insight to do so. I ordered my supplies and have the other things I need. A buddy gave me the window switch as a spare. Hopefully this weekend ill start it. Ill post pics when im done. If all goes well I have a few pieces ill be doing.
ISRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 05:11 PM   #34
rcJten
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISRabbit View Post
I've been wanting to learn to do this. Thanks to the great write up it gave me the motivation and insight to do so. I ordered my supplies and have the other things I need. A buddy gave me the window switch as a spare. Hopefully this weekend ill start it. Ill post pics when im done. If all goes well I have a few pieces ill be doing.
looking forward to the results.

2008 IS350 / TP / lux pckg / ML / tv navi kit / f-sport intake + exhaust + sway + lugs / GFX + roof spoiler + diffuser / led mirrors / is-f tails / BC coilovers / SPC ball joints / Megan arms / 30% tint / 6000K lows / 3000k fogs / PIAA plasma highs / drl's disabled / LED switchbacks / 6000k V-Led everything / LED dash swap / custom Texalium interior / LS460 doorcup led's / upgraded factory alarm / TSW nurburgrings 19x8.5, 19x9.5 / Nitto Invo /
rcJten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 05:46 PM   #35
ISFJames
Rookie
Trader Score: (4)

wowzers, awesome job! I might attempt this in the near future!
Old 03-03-12, 01:19 AM   #36
devoid
Driver School Candidate

Looks great. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Question -- where did you get your extra set of trim pieces? I don't think I'm daring enough to try this out on my originals.
devoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 08:01 PM   #37
rcJten
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoid View Post
Looks great. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Question -- where did you get your extra set of trim pieces? I don't think I'm daring enough to try this out on my originals.
Ebay has lots.

2008 IS350 / TP / lux pckg / ML / tv navi kit / f-sport intake + exhaust + sway + lugs / GFX + roof spoiler + diffuser / led mirrors / is-f tails / BC coilovers / SPC ball joints / Megan arms / 30% tint / 6000K lows / 3000k fogs / PIAA plasma highs / drl's disabled / LED switchbacks / 6000k V-Led everything / LED dash swap / custom Texalium interior / LS460 doorcup led's / upgraded factory alarm / TSW nurburgrings 19x8.5, 19x9.5 / Nitto Invo /
Old 03-04-12, 08:48 PM   #38
sthakor92
Driver

Nice work man!
sthakor92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 09:54 PM   #39
showtymers
Driver

hey i got a good question.. can you do mine? =) ill pay you not joking
showtymers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 10:04 PM   #40
javyLSU
革新的な
Trader Score: (21)

javyLSU

Great job on a true do it yourself project. Thanks for sharing!

Javier
Old 03-04-12, 10:28 PM   #41
Asakura58
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

Asakura_Yoh
Send a message via AIM to Asakura58 Send a message via MSN to Asakura58 Send a message via Yahoo to Asakura58

nice work! good diy! wish i could do this
Old 03-04-12, 11:37 PM   #42
rcJten
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtymers View Post
hey i got a good question.. can you do mine? =) ill pay you not joking
I appreciate the offer, but I have a full time job, and a part time business that occupies much of my time.

I savor the free time I get.

Old 03-06-12, 11:29 PM   #43
rcJten
Pole Position

Mas.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-07-12, 10:03 AM   #44
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Good write up. I did the same on my car except instead of painting the edges of things, I actually wrapped the parts around the edge, which honestly is the source of 90% of my frustration with getting it perfect every time. CF is not all that forgiving!!

So far I've done the center console and switch plates. Up next is the more challenging dash vents. I don't have much time to work on it so I'll post it when I'm done.

one tip I can offer up - instead of putting down epoxy and waiting for that small time period where it's tacky enough to stick down the CF, I have switched up to a 5 minute epoxy. The method you have is fine, but when you start wrapping around the edges as I've done on mine, there has to be a fair amount of tack otherwise you'll end up with lifted surfaces which cannot be reworked.

Also, for those who attempt this, don't cheap out on the epoxy. Get good, marine grade quality epoxy, such as that offered by West systems. It will have less tendency to yellow over time. Cheap epoxy will turn yellowish very quickly. Also, it is of great help to get the west systems pumps so you don't have to fuss with a scale. The pumps dose out the right ratio of resin to hardener. If anyone is trying this and gets frustrated, feel free to hit me up and I'll see how I can assist.

I can't emphasize enough to try this on some stuff you don't care about first, because if you screw up, and you most likely will the first time, it's a PITA to do any amount of rework.

Last edited by isthrizzy; 03-07-12 at 04:08 PM..
isthrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 04:09 PM   #45
Antihero
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcJten View Post
Mas.
Click the image to open in full size.
Great Write Up but what parts are these?
Antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 04:09 PM