IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ordered my IS, When will the boat get here?

Old 02-25-12, 12:43 PM
Wingnut65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered my IS, When will the boat get here?

OK, this lurker is out and wondering when I might expect my new IS?

I ordered a 2012 IS250 Starfire Pearl, Ecru, Luxury Plus w/18", Nav, and spolier. I was informed it would be 90-120 days, The order was placed on December 15, which would put 90 days at March 15. When I spoke to my salesman in early February, all he could confirm was still 90-120 days.

By now, I would have hoped to have a buid date set and which ship it would be on. Nobody knows and I know you won't know either.

So my question is, how long does it take for a shippment from the factory to arrive in Jacksonville?

I am dying to get my new ride, especially since my AC is out in the old car.
Old 02-25-12, 12:54 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

wow, 3 month wait on an IS250? here in So Cal dealers around me all have ton of 250s on the lot.
Old 02-25-12, 01:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
wow, 3 month wait on an IS250? here in So Cal dealers around me all have ton of 250s on the lot.
True,plenty around is all colors and option pkgs.
It seems the only reason to special order is for ML.
Old 02-25-12, 01:11 PM
Wingnut65
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, You may have plenty out there, but none have memory seats. That is only available in the Luxury Plus package, plus some other cool stuff. And the wild color I asked for was White!

My local dealer stared searching in State, then in the SE US, then the Eastern US, then all of the US. Nothing anywhere. They had some on the lot, but not with the options I want. I have a car that mostly works, so I can wait.

BTW, I did try the search feature, but couldn't find a simple answer.

Last edited by Wingnut65; 02-25-12 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 02-25-12, 01:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingnut65
Thanks guys, You may have plenty out there, but none have memory seats. That is only available in the Luxury Plus package, plus some other cool stuff. And the wild color I asked for was White!

My local dealer stared searching in State, then in the SE US, then the Eastern US, then all of the US. Nothing anywhere. They had some on the lot, but not with the options I want. I have a car that mostly works, so I can wait.

BTW, I did try the search feature, but couldn't find a simple answer.
Very interesting.
Waiting must be hell.
Old 02-25-12, 03:40 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Very interesting.
Waiting must be hell.
it is, but it is soooo worth it!

to the OP, when i ordered mine, i was told 3-4 months as well, so that's standard. i don't remember what the build date for mine was and can't look right now, but it's after June for sure, and my car arrived in August. So i think it only takes about ~1.5 months for the car to arrive once the build starts. So most of that 3-4 month wait time is just that, waiting for the build to start. And until the actual build starts, i don't believe the dealership would have concrete updates or confirmation for you.

EDIT: just took a look, mine was built in June (no exact date though) and arrived at my dealership mid-August. I also have extra port-installed options, so it probably took a bit extra time at the port.

Last edited by raptor22; 02-25-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-26-12, 06:29 PM
Wingnut65
Driver School Candidate

Thanks raptor. I'm past the 2 month mark and 2-1/2 next week. I hope it isn't 4 months. 3 is bad enough. But as you said, it will be soooo worth it.

I heard from someone at the dealer who thought it only took a week for a shipment from the faxtory to reach Jax. If that is the case, build date should be getting pretty close and the dealer will have the dellivery date soon. I too will have a few extras thrown in on this side, so mabe a week after the ship gets in.
Old 02-27-12, 12:01 PM
Kid2012
Driver School Candidate

@Wingnut65
I also ordered the Luxury Pkg for the memory seats. I placed the order for the car on Jan 21 and was told the car would be in the Port of LA on May 21. Yes 4 months! On top of that it will take another 3wks to get from Los Angeles to TX. I'm a little PO'ed that it takes 4 months to get a Luxury pkg on a freakin Luxury car.

O'well I know the wait will be worth it! Here is my build:

1. 2012 IS350
2. RWD
3. Nebula Gray
4. Luxury Pkg with 18" wheels
5. Factory Spoiler
6. Black with Dark Gray Bird's-Eye Maple Trim
7. Navigation, Intuitive Parking Assist, Perfered Accessory pack
Old 02-27-12, 12:02 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

It took the boat 3 months to get here with my 350.

But I live in Texas and had to special order a F Sport and they had to ship it over.

Worth the wait!

^ what part of TX are you in?
Old 02-27-12, 01:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The way things were explained to me is that special orders all go in on a specific date each month at the factory.

So if yours is submitted after that date it doesn't get process until that date in the NEXT month

Mine took 2.5 months from order to pick up, typically I see folks mention times between 2.5-3.5 months...nd I suspect most of that difference is the "order date" break thing happening.
Old 02-27-12, 01:49 PM
Nycxazn11
Driver School Candidate

I'm still waiting on my 2012 IS350 Ultrasonic Blue. I placed the order Oct 22, 2011. They told me 80-120 days but other dealerships told me about 6 months. So the place i got it from lied to me because the deadline would be Feb 20, 2012 and it should have arrived last week. I kept complaining over the phone and they mail me a letter with my vin # and it states it will arrive mid March. I think the letter said it went into production in December. I'm def going to ask for compensation when i go pick up the car. But what can I ask for?? I doubt they would redo the contract.
Old 02-27-12, 01:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes about 12 days for the oversea journey from Japan to CA not including loading and unloading which takes about 4 days each end. then you factor in the time to build the car, wait at the port until the volume accumulates enough to go on a ship, then wait at the destination port until volume accumulates enough for a truck load to Fl, then about 1 week cross country trip.
Old 02-27-12, 03:29 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingnut65
Wow, on a 350 I can understand but for a 250 I'm really suprised however it's also possible that dealers are hiding their true inventory, meaning it's possible there is a 250 w/ lux plus pkg just the way you want it but it would never show up under a search.

I can't believe that this problem still exists after 6 years. I had the same problem in FL back in 2007 of course I wanted a 350 and ML but it happened without special order so luck can happen.

I'm not saying dealers need to keep in stock loaded up cars but when they carry so many stripped down cars with little options why can't they at least carry 1 or 2 per month throughout the year at every dealer? When you think about it Lexus doesn't have that many options and most are grouped into pkgs, Just because a customer wants Nav and ML and a Lux Plus Pkg, 3 options, it shouldn't have to be a special order. Dealers shoud be able to find at least a few of them at any given month thoughout the region. You have customers who want to buy a product but the product isn't available. Like a previous poster said, it's a luxury car but to get luxury you are forced to special order, that just doesn't sound right to me. lol
Old 02-27-12, 03:35 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Why not wait for the 3IS !?
Old 02-27-12, 04:06 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikg35
Why not wait for the 3IS !?
If you like the 2IS and/or need a car now. Nobody knows what the 3IS will be, maybe he won't like it when it comes out.

Who knows.

Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordered my IS, When will the boat get here?