IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it normal to spend $3,000+ a year on Maintainence for your IS250?

Old 02-17-12, 07:23 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

missed another post

Last edited by jgr7; 02-17-12 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 07:24 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Like was stated, snow mode reduces throttle response and engages TRAC quicker.

Jeff
Old 02-17-12, 08:43 AM
Seansvs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tidbit about the date of the TSIB for the tranny, Jeff. That makes me feel a little better about that. And happy to know that I'm probably not that crazy...

With more or less the whole story and at least the pertinent details out there, there are two main points I'm trying to convey, here:

I feel like I got a bad shake, leaving both myself and the dealer as the loser, leading me to do some experimenting with the drive train. It's expensive, and as I'm not taking this thing to the track, I don't feel like I signed up for 5 clutch jobs a year. Every one seems to agree that they should have fixed it the first time, not costing them anything, and when I blew it up all on my own, I'd have nobody to blame but me, and pay to fix it.

When I'm told that the drive train on my fourty-thousand dollar Sports Sedan, created to directly compete with the BWM M3, can't put up with the kind of punishment that I've dished out 50-100,000 miles at a time over several decades to vehicles ranging from turbo charged 4-cylinder imports to heavy duty Diesel Pickup Trucks, I still gotta call BS.

There's a picture of on IS with it's wheels on fire on the front page of this forum right now.

What the hell kind of car is it then? I drive it to work, y'all. I drive fast, yes, but I don't drive at 6,000 RPM with the damn wheels on fire! I've got to believe that there's something else wrong other than my intense driving! I drove my Avalon and my ES350 just as hard, but I wanted something I could REALLY DRIVE.

Enter the IS250:
With sleek yet aggressive styling and stance, extra wide rear wheels and high-grip, high-speed rated tires and deep bucket seats, It continues to impress when it offers the ultimate control for discerning drivers with an optional 6-speed manual transmission. With the addition of the manual transmission, we've taken the excitement one step farther and moved the drive wheels to the rear, the obvious choice for race car-like handling and increased chances of what we like to call "driving." We've taken all of this, and connected the engine to the transmission (a tough little piece of steel right from a light duty truck) with the flywheel and clutch from a Power-wheels® 4x4 Playtime Jeep. Be careful, "it's Not that kind of Car."

I guess the answer is really that I just need to get a hard-core racing car that can handle my intense driving style for more than four weeks...

Like a nine year old Honda Civic!
Old 02-17-12, 11:52 AM
White350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that just sucks then, I know of several people here that have Manual 250's and not a single one of them have clutch issues

don't beat on the car then if you don't want to change clutches
Old 02-17-12, 05:50 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Seansvs
When I'm told that the drive train on my fourty-thousand dollar Sports Sedan, created to directly compete with the BWM M3, can't put up with the kind of punishment that I've dished out 50-100,000 miles at a time over several decades to vehicles ranging from turbo charged 4-cylinder imports to heavy duty Diesel Pickup Trucks, I still gotta call BS.
Except you got a MT IS250, with it's Toyota Tacoma transmission, and it sounds like you're trying to drive it like an M3. Maybe you should think about being easier on the clutch or switching to a 350 AT.
Old 02-17-12, 06:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The transmission in the IS250 is capable of much more than the 4GR-FSE can ever throw at it, as has been proven time and again in other factory applications. The transmission isn't even an issue here, we seem to be talking specifically about the clutch/flywheel setup. I drive pretty aggressively with mine and I've never had a clutch issue other than the sound the TSB refers to a handful of times, I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that also drive it pretty aggressively too, but you're the only one blasting through five clutches in 20,000 miles. I'd love to see how you're driving it -- scratch that, I don't think I want to see it.

Jeff
Old 02-17-12, 09:18 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The transmission in the IS250 is capable of much more than the 4GR-FSE can ever throw at it, as has been proven time and again in other factory applications. The transmission isn't even an issue here, we seem to be talking specifically about the clutch/flywheel setup. I drive pretty aggressively with mine and I've never had a clutch issue other than the sound the TSB refers to a handful of times, I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that also drive it pretty aggressively too, but you're the only one blasting through five clutches in 20,000 miles. I'd love to see how you're driving it -- scratch that, I don't think I want to see it.

Jeff
+1

The transmission is great. Lots of people drive enthusiastically without burning the clutch. That's just driver error.

Last edited by shui3000; 02-17-12 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-18-12, 05:12 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree , I personally feel that the only drawback the M/T IS has is the dual mass flywheel. I can't engine brake with mine from too high a speed or else I'll hear a spring stretching noise aside from that I love my 6m/t IS.