IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Disable DRL on 2011 with Halogens?

Old 02-08-12, 11:04 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Disable DRL on 2011 with Halogens?

I just installed some 2012 LED/HID lights and I have everything working right except I can't seem to disable DRL's. The option isn't listed in the TechStream, or an older handheld scanner.

Anyone disabled it on the 2011 without HID?

Jeff
Old 02-08-12, 11:25 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you didn't like the newer headlights . Congrats! It's weird the feature isn't there, I thought the '11+ non-HID cars used the same light setup as the '06-'10 non-HID cars.
Old 02-08-12, 11:58 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
He went with the 2011 lights because he did not like the fact he was using an AFS headlamp setup he had in the car but his car could not use it to its full potential.

Jeff and I were talking in private a few days ago regarding the TSB lights and actually managed to be able to order them; it was also because he wanted to get the correct lights for his car.

Last edited by Sango; 02-09-12 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 12:09 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^wait....we can order recalled 2011 lights??!!!
Old 02-09-12, 12:33 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Not sure about the recalled lights. Jeff can probably find that out.
Old 02-09-12, 12:37 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^OH... when you said "TSB Lights" I thought you meant the ones being recalled. Ok... Now I get it... he got the new version with gloss black paint
Old 02-09-12, 12:43 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Yep, I mean the new ones. The old ones still seem to be orderable, but Lexus may prevent that from happening.

He ordered the 81145-53H12 which is the headlight set, which is listed in the TSB which I gotten the PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0005-12_headlamp.pdf (889.2 KB, 497 views)
Old 02-09-12, 07:00 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
I thought you didn't like the newer headlights .
There are things I really like about the newer headlights, like the dark housing, and the nicer projector (it is nicer than the 06-08). I even like the LED, just find the LED section to look a bit funny when it's all off. That being said, once it was actually in my car, and not just looking at other cars, I find I like it more than I did before. I'll let it grow on me, it's already started.

But there were distinct advantages going from my 06-08 HID headlights to the 12 ones, including not having to deal with AFS, etc. However, one of the advantages was going to be that I would be able to disable DRL, so that the Bi-Xenon would work correctly, as on the 11+ lights, it's just piggy-backed off of the high beam wiring (on 06-10 HID's, the front controller had a separate output for it), but since I can't disable DRL, the Bi-Xenon solenoid is always getting a 50% duty-cycle from the DRL/High Beam bulbs, which may not be good for it, though it seems unlikely that it is. As it stands, when my headlights are off, my Bi-Xenon is set in high mode until I turn the headlights on, then it immediately drops to low beam. It doesn't really matter, since the bulb isn't on.

Also both my DRL and LED's are on at the same time, which isn't actually too terribly bad looking, but it isn't correct. I like to make things correct.

Congrats! It's weird the feature isn't there, I thought the '11+ non-HID cars used the same light setup as the '06-'10 non-HID cars.
Everything is the same as far as wiring goes, but there is no DRL option in the menu.

Originally Posted by Sango
Yep, I mean the new ones. The old ones still seem to be orderable, but Lexus may prevent that from happening.
The old ones aren't orderable in Canada anymore, you can only get the new ones now. Maybe they still have stock in the USA, but I have a feeling it's all changed up.

Originally Posted by Sango
He ordered the 81145-53H12 which is the headlight set, which is listed in the TSB which I gotten the PDF.
Yeah I have a feeling once people find out the pricing on the 81145-53H12, you'll see more people doing this swap. It's basically 2 headlights for the price of 1.
Old 02-09-12, 08:33 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Yep. It assumes the ca is HID equipped since it is the housing only and not be treated as a conversion kit unless one buys the missing components it needs to convert theirs to HID.

Last edited by Sango; 02-09-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 08:53 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

wow, I know so little about lights that all I read was )(*%$HNO#)*#*$&_VJOFJ:??>_$*

But personally, I love the way the 11' LED lights look when DRL are on, it looks sweet!
Old 02-09-12, 09:02 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my lights, granted I have an ISF but i just went to my service advisor at Lexus, he hooked up his laptop to the OBD2 port and had the DRLs turned off in a matter of seconds and it was free. So just go by Lexus. If they can' t do it then it might not be an option for your car at this time.
Old 02-09-12, 09:22 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Thanks for the advice, but like I said, I tried using a TechStream, TechStream Lite and an older Handheld, the option wasn't listed in any of them. I can adjust the other settings, but DRL is not listed. It seems like the option was removed on the 2011's, (though it is still listed in the repair manual... :|)

Jeff
Old 02-09-12, 09:32 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Sucks to hear the option had been removed from the '11's. It wouldn't be too difficult to rewire the high beam using a relay and the high beam output from the stalk.
Old 02-09-12, 09:35 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa! Wait a minute, are you saying that part # gives you both newer headlights but for the price of one?
Old 02-09-12, 09:41 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Sucks to hear the option had been removed from the '11's. It wouldn't be too difficult to rewire the high beam using a relay and the high beam output from the stalk.
Could be done, but it's not really what I'm looking to do.

Whoa! Wait a minute, are you saying that part # gives you both newer headlights but for the price of one?
Slightly more than the price of one, but yes, that is correct.

(They of course do not come with ballasts, bulbs, covers, sockets, etc. or the flasher required).

Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable DRL on 2011 with Halogens?