IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New member who needs help* Spark plug changed now VSC light is on

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 11:41 AM
emadrigal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member who needs help* Spark plug changed now VSC light is on

Just got my 08' IS250 spark plugs changed, having same issues as many of you. Check engine light, check VSC and icon with the traction control car is on.

Car starts up in the morning with high than normal RPM's then goes back to normal. Car feels a little stuttery while driving. Will take it to autozone to get codes checked.

I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK Iridium IX. Any thoughts? Are these the right plugs, now i'm thinking that their not but mechanic said they were fine.
Old 02-03-12, 11:43 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why i always recommend taking to dealer for plugs
Old 02-03-12, 12:22 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by emadrigal
Just got my 08' IS250 spark plugs changed, having same issues as many of you. Check engine light, check VSC and icon with the traction control car is on.

Car starts up in the morning with high than normal RPM's then goes back to normal. Car feels a little stuttery while driving. Will take it to autozone to get codes checked.

I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK Iridium IX. Any thoughts? Are these the right plugs, now i'm thinking that their not but mechanic said they were fine.
Why did you use those plugs and not the OEM Lexus-recommended Denso iridium plugs from Sewell for $13 each (with CL discount) that come pre-gapped? http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/2056.html
Old 02-03-12, 01:15 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently replaced mine ( Denso ). and my vsc, check engine light was on for about 3 days. Not sure if its just the time it needs to go off or if i just needed to unplug and replug the wires removed. but i unplugged and plugged back in after 2 days, then the next day it went off by itself. I would give it a few days, unless of course you really feel a driving difference then you may want to get that checked out.
Old 02-03-12, 01:21 PM
emadrigal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep you posted, going to get the codes for the issue now...
Old 02-03-12, 04:56 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok this may not be the case but what I'm about to say comes from the experience from my wifes Rodeo that uses direct injection like the IS. On that car people have experienced the check engine light and when they've taken the vehicle to the dealer the dealer has told them that the spark plugs on the direct injection engine sends a signal to its pertaining ignition coil. Using the wrong plugs would trigger this and the problem goes away after installing the proper plugs.

Again this might not pertain to the IS but was worth a mention.
Old 02-03-12, 06:03 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emadrigal

When you take engine cover off there is a small sensor on the top 2 wires in it check that out, i had a same problem after i serviced my car at lex dealer, they cut that to wires by purpose to make money out of me! told it will cost 2K and whole engine wires needs to be changed, then i took my car and left, bought electric tape and put that wires together, start the car :thumb up: no VSC light no check engine everything was fine then!
Old 02-26-13, 07:40 AM
blackcar7
Driver School Candidate

I changed my spark plugs on my 07 350... When i started the car, i heard a loud crack noise and when i stopped the engine it sounded like something moving inside, also a sucking noise. I restarted the the car and idle was a little high but then dropped to 600. Also, my gas mileage has changed. I live 4.2 miles from a bp gas station. I had approx. 70 miles left on the tank. When i got home, it said i had 62 miles left. Did i do something wrong?
Old 02-26-13, 09:38 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcar7
I changed my spark plugs on my 07 350... When i started the car, i heard a loud crack noise and when i stopped the engine it sounded like something moving inside, also a sucking noise. I restarted the the car and idle was a little high but then dropped to 600. Also, my gas mileage has changed. I live 4.2 miles from a bp gas station. I had approx. 70 miles left on the tank. When i got home, it said i had 62 miles left. Did i do something wrong?
hmmmm what plugs did you use.....sounds to me like you used the wrong plugs and might have had some piston contact .
Old 02-26-13, 09:48 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

All you guys having the problem but not me. I changed the spark plugs myself and no lights ever comes out. Driving was even smoothier and feels faster. Hmmm? I used the sewell Denso spark plugs.
Old 02-27-13, 05:09 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Dielectric grease between the spark plug and the boot is recommended.
Old 02-27-13, 05:47 PM
tnxjnvbx
Driver School Candidate

All you guys having the problem but not me.
Old 03-03-13, 10:45 AM
blackcar7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
hmmmm what plugs did you use.....sounds to me like you used the wrong plugs and might have had some piston contact .
I used the oem plugs
Old 03-03-13, 10:47 AM
blackcar7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blackcar7
I used the oem plugs
The car runs... Just gas millage is crappy compared to before... I used the denso plugs
Old 03-03-13, 12:34 PM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Reset your ECU by take out unplug the battery and reconnect it. Same happen to me when i replaced my spark plug.

Quick Reply: New member who needs help* Spark plug changed now VSC light is on