Originally Posted by my1s250
http://midcityengineering.com/rear-avoidance/mid400m5
they sell it here too but don't know how much though
of course that's not the factory system
Old 02-24-12, 11:56 AM
kingster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that other members here would rather park the cars themselves and use the money to make other modifications to their cars. I would spend my money in a nice vacation and keep parking the car myself.

I agree that it is better to park away from tight spaces.
With park assist don't we have to partially park our cars. Meaning, park at the right distance next to the car ahead of yours. If you don't get it right, park assist won't work. I am just wondering how this works. Never tried it. I have seen it.
I think it is a nice feature but it is more useful for those people that can't park in beetween cars. Not even when they have twice the size their cars.
Old 02-24-12, 12:06 PM
LDNN
Driver

Originally Posted by kingster
I know that other members here would rather park the cars themselves and use the money to make other modifications to their cars. I would spend my money in a nice vacation and keep parking the car myself. .
I'm with you on this; however, many here love to do projects on their cars and if they've got the cash and the time why not. Whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-24-12, 02:19 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kingster
I know that other members here would rather park the cars themselves and use the money to make other modifications to their cars. I would spend my money in a nice vacation and keep parking the car myself.

I agree that it is better to park away from tight spaces.
With park assist don't we have to partially park our cars. Meaning, park at the right distance next to the car ahead of yours. If you don't get it right, park assist won't work. I am just wondering how this works. Never tried it. I have seen it.
I think it is a nice feature but it is more useful for those people that can't park in beetween cars. Not even when they have twice the size their cars.
I have the OEM parking assist. It doesn't park your car or work like that. There are 2 sensors on the front bumper and 4 on the rear. You can tell if an IS is equipped with it if you see circular button looking things about the size of a quarter on the bumpers. It's a fairly rare option.

How it works is when you are parking, or reversing, it will sense the wall or any other object you are closing in on and it will give a beep. The beep will become faster the closer you get. And if you have Nav, the screen will show a proximity icon and it'll turn from yellow to red the closer you get. Pretty slick if you ask me. It saved me twice already from backing up to other cars in tight spaces.

A funny thing happened too. I was at a red light and a couple of super obese people crossed the street in front of my car. My car went beep beep beep beep....

Last edited by istarzan; 02-24-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 10:02 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

With the back up camera do you really need the rear sensors? Why does it cost so much for the parts if it is already pre wired, it is only a $500 up grade when purchasing.
Old 02-25-12, 02:33 AM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The six sensors retail for $184 each... OUCH. I've been picking up used sensors as I find them.

My sweetheart's LS has them and it really is a very nice feature.
Old 02-25-12, 05:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
With the back up camera do you really need the rear sensors? Why does it cost so much for the parts if it is already pre wired, it is only a $500 up grade when purchasing.
for one you need new bumpers with holes for the sensors- at the factory this obviously isn't an issue.

For another Lexus likes to make money on replacement parts

But yeah, I don't even have the backup cam- I don't have kids, and the 2IS is half the size of my last car, seems pretty pointless.

If you do have little kids, or you only ever park small cars, you might consider those things more valuable.
Old 02-25-12, 07:16 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
for one you need new bumpers with holes for the sensors- at the factory this obviously isn't an issue.

For another Lexus likes to make money on replacement parts

But yeah, I don't even have the backup cam- I don't have kids, and the 2IS is half the size of my last car, seems pretty pointless.

If you do have little kids, or you only ever park small cars, you might consider those things more valuable.
I have found that parking mine is very easy but having front sensors would be nice as the front end is hard to judge when pulling up close to a wall. With the rear camera if you can see a space between you and the object your good. When the space is gone you have about an inch or so from touching. I read also if you have a vert the sensors will keep your top from operating if the sensors think you are so close to an object that the trunk lid will hit.
Old 02-25-12, 06:21 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is probably a useless feature for most. But not if you live in downtown or a big city where parking is tight, it comes in handy.

I bought my car used and it was originally from New York. When I was looking around, I noticed ISx50s that do have parking sensors/headlight washers, mostly came from the North. I guess dealers ordered their cars new that way.
Old 05-27-12, 10:01 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annnnddddd.... Any updates?
Old 09-16-14, 02:37 PM
vigaita
Driver School Candidate

Hello everybody!
Well, finally I am ready for this project - installation park assist system! Project total cost as today $287.50 not including my labor charges what will be measured by the beer bottles.
And YES! It is possible to add original park assist sensors and make them work on majority of your Lexus models! They are already prewired for these options, just missing park assist-clearance module and sensors!!! And another good thing these sensors needs just holes, they have retainers to hold them in places!
I just need exact location of holes on original bumper cover, front and back for ISx50 second gen..
Can someone measure and provide this information I will be greatly appreciated!
And for the beginning, little introduction about project.
A while ago I discovered that I have few wires in the trunk hanging (left side) which are not connected, after research discovered that it is back up sonar module and sensor connectors. I got ECU module (blue box), connected and instantly on the navigation screen appeared new icon for parking assist option!!! But because there no sensors- message appears "Check sonar sensors" and beeps when speed drops to 10miles/hour.
Well, now I got all parts - sensors and cables for installation and ready to perform bumper cover drilling.
So, can somebody provide measurements where they are located on original Lexus bumper cover. And I will post all project outcome with all pictures.

Parts what I am using for my 2009 Lexus IS 250 awd ML, navigation, sat, etc. is:

*Wiring Harness (rear x1)-82183-53010
*Wiring Harness (front x1) 82114-53010
*Sensors (rear x2) 89341-30021C1 (C1 is for black obsidian color)
*Sensors (front and rear x4) 89341-30010C3 (C3 is for black obsidian color)
*ECU computer 89340-53020
*Sensor clips (front and rear x6) 89348-44010

If anyone have questions, please ask me regarding this matter, I will provide links and other information where you can have sensors and modules for really great price!
Attached Thumbnails Adding Park Assist-front1.jpg   Adding Park Assist-back.jpg  

Last edited by vigaita; 09-17-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 06:07 PM
littleyan9
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this will help,

I added a back up camera to my non nav is250 for about $20.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-w-o-nav.html

Feel free to pm for any information.
Mark
Old 09-17-14, 08:24 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the rear 4 parking sencors including the wires from a totaled Lexus I bought for parts a year ago if anyone is interested.I m sure I have everything else needed because I have the complete navi unit with the intire cabin harness
Old 09-17-14, 10:45 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought an electromagnetic parking sensor kit from eBay for 12 bucks. I'm planning to install it soon. No drilling required...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360668628508?lpid=82

Quick Reply: Adding Park Assist