IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Your beef/gripes with the ISX50

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 11:39 PM
Authorize
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your beef/gripes with the ISX50

Yes, we all love our IS's to death. To us ISX50 owners, it's almost flawless. But, sadly, that's not the case. Nothing's perfect in this world. So, go ahead and shoot it out. What's your beef with the car? I'll start.

The placement of the cupholder. It's really not a great place.
Old 01-18-12, 11:45 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

placement of cupholder, placement of AUX input, and small backseat
Old 01-18-12, 11:52 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not having rear seats that fold down!!!! lol
Old 01-19-12, 12:07 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Love my IS but several things I do not like. Cheap paintjob that chips easily. How water drips down the roof into the door jamb and drips onto the leather seat without guttering to the side. Stock projectors sucks. How ugly the engine is without it's cover. Cheap windshield moldings that degraded/cracked within 6 months when bought new (replaced couple months ago, so far so good). Small rear seat, also doesn't fold down. OEM navigation sucks and is super outdated. I'm sure I can think of more but compared to the list of things I love about my IS, it's so long it isn't 56k friendly.
Old 01-19-12, 12:07 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

No rear leg room

Only 1 real cup holder

Tiny trunk

Bumper tabs are trash
Old 01-19-12, 01:03 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

I thought I was the only one who thought the cupholder was in the wrong place! Good to know there are others!! The only other real gripe I have is my paint, I love black cars but this one (obsidian) seems to get dirtier faster than any other car ive had.

Last edited by NorCalIS; 01-19-12 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 01:17 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one real cupholder gets in the way when I shift. So really, I have no real cupholders!
Old 01-19-12, 04:58 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

water dripping on the seat when you open the door, how easily the paint chips, rear seat not folding down; windsheild trim cracking almost instantly.
Old 01-19-12, 05:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Different shades of black with black interior trim.
Mediocre at best sound system.
Old 01-19-12, 05:18 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

The rear seat legroom is horrible - the back doors are a teaser that leads you to the place no one wants to be.

Navigation - for $90 I can get a gps where I can customize the car avatar and the voices, but not in my Lexus where nav costs over $1000 :-(
Old 01-19-12, 05:25 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I don't like how when cold the engine revs up hardcore at down shifts. It's almost pulling you forward when your coming to a stop. I feel I have to use the brakes a lot more than I should when the engine is cold. It also takes a good 15 mins to warm up my 2011 at 20 deg outside.

I wish the back seats would fold down at times like almost all other cars, but I hate having large stuff in my car anyway!

I don't have drinks in my car (other than bottled water) so I have no use for any cup holders!
The paint sucks on all cars these days. It's just what chemicals are legal to use so that we can be good to mother earth!
Old 01-19-12, 05:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DKnight350
The rear seat legroom is horrible - the back doors are a teaser that leads you to the place no one wants to be.

Navigation - for $90 I can get a gps where I can customize the car avatar and the voices, but not in my Lexus where nav costs over $1000 :-(
thus did I skip nav on my special order

I did get ML though, so the sound system is fantastic for OEM... I DO wish it'd scroll text though, or at least give you the option to do so, rather than just cutting off after X characters.

I only allow bottles in my car (and usually only water) so I've got 4 cupholders up front (though admittedly the "second" center console one blows)

I agree on the AUX placement, but they "fixed" that for 09+ models by relocating the jacks in there

Backseat- well, it's improved a bit on 08+ models... but hey, I don't have to sit there anyway

I'm of 2 minds on the fold down rear seats.. it'd be useful I guess (though I've only had maybe 2 or 3 times ever where I really would've NEEDED it in thinking about it....) but .I'd prefer lighter and stiffer, which is what they went with, rather than fold down seats and a floppier handling body, or adding weight in added reinforcement ot make up for the solid seat-backs you lose.

BT without nav would've been nice... but my Garmin does BT, and this is another one they "fixed" in later years

Geuninely cooled seats (rather than just vented) would've been nice though... and a heated steering wheel...

Here's one though- How bout displaying the actual tire pressure from the TPMS system like even the cheapest GM cars have done for 5+ years already?

Would've also liked if there had been a way to delete the sunroof when ordering the car... It's something I'm going to nearly never ever use and again I'd rather have a lighter, stiffer, car. Only way to get sunroof delete in the US was the X package, which lacked a lot of things I liked in the sport package I ordered

And of course a real set of paddle shifters like M mode in the F would've been nice

Oh! and unlock sensors on the rear doors would've been nice too....
Old 01-19-12, 05:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
thus did I skip nav on my special order

I did get ML though, so the sound system is fantastic for OEM... I DO wish it'd scroll text though, or at least give you the option to do so, rather than just cutting off after X characters.

I only allow bottles in my car (and usually only water) so I've got 4 cupholders up front (though admittedly the "second" center console one blows)

I agree on the AUX placement, but they "fixed" that for 09+ models by relocating the jacks in there

Backseat- well, it's improved a bit on 08+ models... but hey, I don't have to sit there anyway

I'm of 2 minds on the fold down rear seats.. it'd be useful I guess (though I've only had maybe 2 or 3 times ever where I really would've NEEDED it in thinking about it....) but .I'd prefer lighter and stiffer, which is what they went with, rather than fold down seats and a floppier handling body, or adding weight in added reinforcement ot make up for the solid seat-backs you lose.

BT without nav would've been nice... but my Garmin does BT, and this is another one they "fixed" in later years

Geuninely cooled seats (rather than just vented) would've been nice though... and a heated steering wheel...

Here's one though- How bout displaying the actual tire pressure from the TPMS system like even the cheapest GM cars have done for 5+ years already?

Would've also liked if there had been a way to delete the sunroof when ordering the car... It's something I'm going to nearly never ever use and again I'd rather have a lighter, stiffer, car. Only way to get sunroof delete in the US was the X package, which lacked a lot of things I liked in the sport package I ordered

And of course a real set of paddle shifters like M mode in the F would've been nice

Oh! and unlock sensors on the rear doors would've been nice too....
Yes,definitely!
Old 01-19-12, 06:18 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

-S mode not being a true manual shifting mode.
-Cheap molding around the windshield
-The massive front wheel gap that comes stock
-Navigation display is prone to breaking
-No heated steering wheel option
-Water drips down into the car when you open the door and the car is wet.

But I still love my IS350!
Old 01-19-12, 06:27 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiny back seat, crappy dashboard and door material , weather stripping, however on the contrary IMO this car has a very good sound system, wether ML or not, what is it 10 or 12 speakers.

Horrible projector cutoff, cant have fog lights on by themselves, they make LED reading lights yet leave the rest with crappy yellow bulbs. Navi SUCKS, Cupholders of course seem to be non existing. No real place to have phone out on display. Cant have sunroof fully open past 70mph without your rearview mirror going crazy.
Never realized I had so many problems with this car..... not even with my mercedes..

Quick Reply: Your beef/gripes with the ISX50