Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 07:26 PM
fredster2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine are mostly the same as everyone

1) Rear seat is way cramped
2) Bass is pretty weak compared to the rest of the system
3) no OEM A2DP BT profile (I have an 08)
4) stock AWD have a wheel gap that is just plain sad
Old 01-22-12, 07:40 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

I just joined the club, this is my first lexus and I leased a 2011 IS250 AWD back in July. I agree with most topics the gentleman above mentioned.

Originally Posted by kuuqi

6) The OEM HID projectors use a fresnel lens and it obscures the light. Also the bulb placement is poor going sideways. For HID's, it's way too dim.

9) lack of cup holders and poor placement of existing ones. I paid $35k for a car, I'd expect more than a single poorly placed cup holder. The center console one doesn't work that great for shorter cups. Plus I don't like the condensation building up on the velvet material inside

13) rear window is almost entirely useless. good thing I have the backup cam

16) Sunglass holder is a bit too small

18) rear seats are almost useless and they don't fold down
Cons
- I've often wondered why the HIDs aren't as bright as my 2005 TSX. The cutoffs aren't as sharp. Could be the 4300k temperature and my eyes prefer closer to 5000k.
- The cup holder placement is horrible. You can't have a passenger who also has a drink because the drink then gets in the way of your arm placement.
- The sunglasses holder seems to only support raybans or "thinner" sunglasses. None of my Oakley sunglasses can fit in there.
- Folding seats would be nice, but I understand them to be fixed to help reduce cabin noise due to rattling
- Wish for XM/Sirius there is a display that can better show your channels and presets than the current configuation
- Not a true sport mode. Shifts take forever.
- No true auto temperature feature that will maintain the overall temp of the cabin, instead of having to choose a mode
- Wish temperature was permanently displayed somewhere
- True tire pressure monitoring!
- Small trunk
- Pointless change holder by the steering wheel
- ANNOYING rain sensing wipers! It's hard to simply get it on a timed function vs. auto! It has a mind of its own I swear

- Love the navigation system actually. It's very high resolution, and easy to use. Some of the routing is questionable however.
- Love Destination Assist
- Love voice commands
- Cooled and heated seats
- Backup camera
- Solid paint. Wait until you've had acura and you see how great lexus paint is
- Easy to update phonebook via bluetooth
- Clean interface (less button clutter on center console and steering wheel unlike Acura)
Old 01-22-12, 08:31 PM
NVMYLEXX
Driver School Candidate

Default Agree!

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
The sun visors are junk. They are way to small. Also, the TPMS like other people have mentioned is bad. If you won't show the actual pressure in each tire, at least say which one is low.
AMEN! you said it best
Old 01-22-12, 08:40 PM
Authorize
Driver

Originally Posted by pdpgps
I just joined the club, this is my first lexus and I leased a 2011 IS250 AWD back in July. I agree with most topics the gentleman above mentioned.

Cons
- I've often wondered why the HIDs aren't as bright as my 2005 TSX. The cutoffs aren't as sharp. Could be the 4300k temperature and my eyes prefer closer to 5000k.
- The cup holder placement is horrible. You can't have a passenger who also has a drink because the drink then gets in the way of your arm placement.
- The sunglasses holder seems to only support raybans or "thinner" sunglasses. None of my Oakley sunglasses can fit in there.
- Folding seats would be nice, but I understand them to be fixed to help reduce cabin noise due to rattling
- Wish for XM/Sirius there is a display that can better show your channels and presets than the current configuation
- Not a true sport mode. Shifts take forever.
- No true auto temperature feature that will maintain the overall temp of the cabin, instead of having to choose a mode
- Wish temperature was permanently displayed somewhere
- True tire pressure monitoring!
- Small trunk
- Pointless change holder by the steering wheel
- ANNOYING rain sensing wipers! It's hard to simply get it on a timed function vs. auto! It has a mind of its own I swear

- Love the navigation system actually. It's very high resolution, and easy to use. Some of the routing is questionable however.
- Love Destination Assist
- Love voice commands
- Cooled and heated seats
- Backup camera
- Solid paint. Wait until you've had acura and you see how great lexus paint is
- Easy to update phonebook via bluetooth
- Clean interface (less button clutter on center console and steering wheel unlike Acura)
The 2IS has a change holder? I was about to buy a coin bag and put it in the center console.
Old 01-22-12, 08:48 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

It's pointless well, because it maybe holds 5 quarters and only quarters. It's located where the rear sunshade button is. You cant put nickels pennies or dimes in there. I have ziplock for loose change in the center cubby.
Old 01-23-12, 08:28 AM
Asakura58
Pole Position

A couple of things for me.

1. no folding seats (can't put a snowboard)
2. horrible placement for the cup holders (2 cups.... say goodbye to armrest)
Old 01-23-12, 01:56 PM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Not quite an "A"

I purchased my 2011 IS 350 new have enjoyed it mostly, but it's fallen short in a few areas as many of you have pointed out:

- Hard automatic transmission shifts. I drove my stepmom's Mercedes C300 Sport automatic while I was home over Christmas and kept thinking, "This transmission is so much smoother than mine..."

- The leather is too prone to deformation, perhaps because it is so soft? I have doubts about how well it will hold up.

- I HATE the "manual" mode!!! I owned a VW Jetta 2.0t with the dual-clutch DSG transmission; if you had, just say, 3rd gear selected and put your foot to the floor (but not past the kick-down detent) it would remain in 3rd and smoothly rev up. If you kept going to the redline it would shift to 4th automatically to prevent bouncing off the rev limiter. If you got slow enough to lug the engine it would give you a single-gear downshift.

- I agree with you all, the paint chips too easily. I had one good chip in my hood within 3 months of purchase

- I should be able to open the trunk without the fob if the car is unlocked.

- Give me fold down seats! This is my seventh car and the first not to have them.

- Rear seat leg space.

- I would like a dual-clutch gearbox option become available from Toyota/Lexus. VW/Audi/Porsche's offerings are fantastic.

- Improved engine sound, to include reducing the ticking noise at idle.

- I want to be able to use 100% of the features of the nav available at a stop while moving. Make me push "Accept" on a warning screen, fine.

- Update the menus and improved the speed in the iPod/MP3 CD interface!

- Rear parcel shelf rattles badly when playing music with bass (certain frequencies only).

- I want to be able to disable the traction and stability control systems at any time, at any speed.

...I could keep going. Maybe I should have bought that S4

Last edited by drive90; 01-23-12 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 02:01 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neomedic
someone send in this thread for lexus engineers for the 3rd gen is
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :d
Old 01-23-12, 02:05 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drive90
I purchased my 2011 IS 350 new have enjoyed it mostly, but it's fallen short in a few areas as many of you have pointed out:

- I should be able to open the trunk without the key if the car is unlocked.
Maybe i misunderstood your use of the word "key" (meaning the physical key or the key fob), but if you have the key fob in your pocket, there is a button on the trunk to open it, making the use of a physical key obsolete. That might help, or I may have misunderstood.
Old 01-23-12, 02:06 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

I see all the gripes and mine are pretty much the same. So here's my ideas as to what Lexus should do to improve the 3IS.

Increased rear legroom
Fold down rear seat
Additional center console cup holder
Better aux/usb port placement
Improved NAV/Touchscreen UI (I say something like Ford's Sync...anyone who has seen/used it will understand why I say that.)
Better dash/door panel material
Better weather stripping
Improved handling/braking
Improved engine noise/exhaust
More steering feedback
Improved paint

Feel free to add.
Old 01-23-12, 02:14 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by drive90
- I want to be able to disable the traction and stability control systems at any time, at any speed.
Forgot about this...this is a big one for me too...absolutely ridiculous that traction control automatically turns back on at 30
Old 01-23-12, 02:17 PM
rcracer
Pole Position

Spent 40K + on a car that has no memory seats!
Old 01-23-12, 02:22 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by rcracer
Sounds like you bought the wrong package!
Old 01-23-12, 02:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HSTexan
Forgot about this...this is a big one for me too...absolutely ridiculous that traction control automatically turns back on at 30
Thank god they fixed this for 07+ lol

There is a "pedal dance" trick you can do tho to shut off traction control on your 2006 tho!

Originally Posted by rcracer
Don't settle next time! Spend the extra cash and wait for one that has the memory seats - it is available
Old 01-23-12, 02:29 PM
drive90
Rookie

Originally Posted by heyarms
Maybe i misunderstood your use of the word "key" (meaning the physical key or the key fob), but if you have the key fob in your pocket, there is a button on the trunk to open it, making the use of a physical key obsolete. That might help, or I may have misunderstood.
Thanks for pointing that out. To be clear I did mean the fob and not a physical key. The button should work to open the trunk without the fob having to be nearby when the car is unlocked.

Quick Reply: Your beef/gripes with the ISX50