IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Your beef/gripes with the ISX50

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 01:48 PM
paulv7260
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

• Next to zero bass in the stock audio system.
  • Lacking an OEM remote start option (well, it's important to me anyway)
  • As several have mentioned the cupholder arrangement is awkward,
  • +1 on the TPMS missing readings for each tire.
  • Rain sensing wipers - sometimes they do and sometimes they don't!
  • Lack of a standard interval wiper
  • 10+ minutes to get up to temp? Really?
  • HUD would have been nice or at least a digital speedo
  • The cheesy clock and where it is located
Old 01-19-12, 01:51 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
All very true, and I sure hope someone at Lexus is scanning the forums...

I agree with Kurtz on the TPMS - I absolutely couldn't believe the car didn't give tire pressure, only alerted you when it was low. After seeing it on CL I had to check the manual and ask the dealer to truly believe this was the case on a 2007 Lexus.

"Ventilated" and not truly cooled seats were a bummer too, until I figured out you can just block the under-seat air vents to the rear and end up with the same thing.

I'd like a true "Sport" mode button, regardless of package. I want it to sharpen the throttle and steering response. The 350's got a lot of power and is quick, but a sharper throttle response (when desired), would be a blast.

On a similar note, the paddle shifters are a complete gimmick. Essentially they just serve to make people think "Wow, it's got paddle shifters like an F1 car!" Then you drive it and realize it's not that. At all. The only purposes they serve are 1) enabling them to remove the L-2-3-4 options on the console gearshift and 2) looking cool. I say make them real paddle shifters or lose them.

One thing I haven't seen on here are the seats - I wish they were more bucketed and supportive. I'm not saying full on racing seats, but the side bolsters could definitely be more supportive - adjustable would be even better. With the 350's engine and the F-Sport rear sway I love driving spiritedly, but I don't feel held in place by the seats.

But by FAR the biggest gripe I have is with the squeaks and rattles. I know people's excuses are "Well it's the budget Lexus". That might be a viable excuse if other manufacturer's "budget" models actually squeaked and rattled like this! I've been in higher-mileage base Kia, Hyundai, Ford, etc cars and they don't rattle like the IS. Took me 5 trips to the dealer to get the dash rattle fixed for good, and still there are other little noises here and there that bug me. My two 1990 LS400s never squeaked or rattled, even up to 200k miles.
I agree with pretty much everything said here. This is a pretty good summary of the main pitfalls of the IS350 (with the occasional, seemingly temperature-dependent squeaks/rattles being the the most prominent and pervasive pitfall of the car).

I've actually wedged a small rubber eraser between the door and the dash and it actually solves some of my squeaking problems when the weather is especially cold. I'd always notice that if I put pressure on the dash (driver side, near the door), the squeaking/creaking would cease.

Other than that (with squeaks/rattles being the main problem and only occasionally at that), I've been extremely pleased with the car. I've had it for 3 years and 55k miles and I haven't experienced any major issues at all. I plan to keep the car for 12-15 years if possible.
Old 01-19-12, 02:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

- not being able to see the outside temp and other trip computer displays at the same time. (I HATE THIS!)
- 250 engine sounds terrible when cold and takes too long to warm up.
- sunvisors suck, making a creaking/squeaking noise everytime you fold them down. Had it fixed once, now bad again.
- left rear tailpipe tip is crooked on all 2006-2010's.
- the water drip on leather in the rain.
- manual mode "shifts" take way too long.
- rearview mirror vibrating and buttons not lit. (got the first fixed)
- can't open the trunk unless you have the key in your pocket, even if the rest of the car is unlocked. A pain when the car is parked unlocked in the garage and you want to access the trunk.
- ashtray holder gets in the way of pulling small items out of storage.
- radio display washes out in sunlight.
- no outside sensors on the rear doors.
- inner tire wear.
- the extra wiper swipe when car is stopped and begins moving again.
Old 01-19-12, 02:33 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In addition to some of things others have posted...
-seat stitching starting to fuzz
-occasional dashboard crackling/rattle
Old 01-19-12, 03:42 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read all the posts and unless I missed this...........I find the power retention (after engine shut down) for the windows only is crazy. How about letting the radio play too, like my other cars? Oh, and turn on the access. mode and the power tilt/telescope steering wheel goes into position, Why is that? I only wanted to listen to the radio. Turn off the engine in neutral, put it in park and all is fine but the steering wheel stays down in my driving position. Silly little things but they "bug" me. Otherwise everybody else pretty much summed up the things that need help.
Old 01-19-12, 03:43 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
- the extra wiper swipe when car is stopped and begins moving again.
haha I noticed this as well. I'm always like nooo stop that.
Old 01-19-12, 10:25 PM
Authorize
Driver

Another gripe: I can NEVER find a comfortable entry and seating position. I've had the car for more than a month and have more than 1700 miles on it. Yet, I still have to adjust every time I drive.
Old 01-19-12, 10:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

adding: The mystery white powder that appears ontop the telescoping black plastic gear shifter cover. No one has ever been able to explain what this is or where it comes from.
Old 01-19-12, 11:11 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the raddles and sqeeks it makes. Comon its a Lexus!, Lexus are you hearing us? Haha
Old 01-21-12, 09:44 PM
LOISF
Driver

- Placement of cupholder
- Headroom...but I knew this when I test drove and didnt care, the car is too hawt haha;-)
- I guess I'm not the only one with windshield molding issues too :-/
- Water dripping easily when I open the door. Also sometimes I forget to wipe down the water from the moonroof & when my window is down and I make a turn...grrrrr....
- Paint chips easily :-(

Ummm....cant think anymore...lol...

But I wouldnt replace him for anything!! Well..only when the lease is up and I trade up
Old 01-21-12, 09:50 PM
LOISF
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
adding: The mystery white powder that appears ontop the telescoping black plastic gear shifter cover. No one has ever been able to explain what this is or where it comes from.
I thought I was the only one! lol...seriously wth....
Old 01-21-12, 10:00 PM
twenty
Pole Position

- Rear leg room
- Rear seats don't fold down
Old 01-21-12, 10:34 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MadeofLxry
I thought I was the only one! lol...seriously wth....
Me too! What the heck?!
Old 01-21-12, 10:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

On the white powder... I've got it on my to do list for my next dealer visit. This will be the fourth time I've asked what it is.
Old 01-21-12, 10:51 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Poor cup holder area. No fold down seats. Horrible stock suspension. Too quiet. No indicator lights when something goes out i.e, bulb in headlight or tailight....

Quick Reply: Your beef/gripes with the ISX50