IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Every beginning has it's end

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 06:16 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Every beginning has it's end

Well my friends of the IS world, it's time to say goodbye. This week will end the chapter of one vehicle and begin another. I didn't really think about how much I'll miss my IS350, until today, while I was driving home from work and I happened to see one drive by me, the styling, the aggression, the beauty of our cars is something that you can only sometimes appreciate, when you're least expecting it.

It's a slow Sunday night, so I figured I'd tell you all a little bedtime story. Almost 2 years to the day, I had bought myself a little present for myself. I've found a nice IS350 that had my name on it, her name was Isis. Had it delivered for a car I could enjoy on the weekends. Well, that plan failed....and miserable. I have a 2000 Honda Accord as a beater, and it's pretty much a no brainer what would happen, when I'd open the door to the garage and pick what car I'd drive for the day. After 5 months of driving her as my DD,my fiancee got rid of her Infiniti, and we were in a pickle, I was traveling and gone all the time and she didn't want to have to look for herself or have to get harassed at dealerships (we know how that story can go)

I told her, until my work schedule was free, she could begin using my IS as her own (some nice future husband I make ) Months and months pass, and I'm still puttering around in my Honda Accord. A few months ago, I got a promotion at work, and it basically required me to relocate to an area I refer as South Canada (New Hampshire). And here's where it alllllll goes wrong. I left the future wife and kid (our golden retriever) back in Kentucky, and headed halfway cross country to my new home. 16 hours of driving, all the miles going on the Honda. Luckily, my lady worked 5 miles away from work so I wasn't worried about her getting in trouble in the winter. Once I got here, I noticed one major ruh roh, I saw no one....and I mean NO ONE with an IS of any kind. It was like this area was sponsored by Subaru. I started asking around, and RWD was basically unheard of. It was AWD or bust. Now boys and girls, I haven't had one issue with driving the IS350 in the snow, not saying I'm Jeremy Clarkson, but I just haven't. I end up calling the wife to tell her about this development, and she goes into panic mode. I'm talking googling this that and the other about the weather in this area etc. She was sold, she wanted AWD, and she wanted it now. Well ****! She wants to sell the princess. I figured I would sell her once we made the move, so it'll okay. I told her we would trailer it, so that she wouldn't have to drive and put unnecessary miles on her. Big mistake

Moving time: I flew home, and was ready for transport. If you have to move cross country...I feel for you. But most important, if you have never used a car loading ramp, make sure you are with someone who has, or it can be very costly. Without throwing the moving companies name out there, let's just say they had a guy assist in loading our car up, and ended up messing up my front bumper in the process. So much so that I had to make an insurance claim on her . After not killing the guy, it seems all this saga is coming to an end...last week, we went to a dealership to look at the RX330s, and ended up buying one that day. She gets delivered on Wednesday. Tomorrow, the car shop is done fixing the IS, so the bittersweet moments are starting to hit me. All the fun times I've had driving in that car, are coming to an end, and I will be a new owner on a "mommy" mobile, as I know a big reason for her getting this suv, is for the kids that are to follow.

It's been fun friends, I've dealt with some great folks in this section, as well as got to learn a lot about the amazing machines we own/have owned/will own. So the next time you get into your car, and hit that push to start, and you see that glow light up from the gauge, know that someone out there, wishes they could do the same. Thanks for listening on this Sunday night to my quarter life crisis
Old 01-15-12, 06:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

glad your keeping it in the family!!
Old 01-15-12, 07:35 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see you leave, but at least you will only be a couple sections away . Good luck with the new RX, they are super comfy!!!
Old 01-15-12, 08:00 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Glad you're staying in the Lexus family. The RX will treat our family well.
Old 01-15-12, 08:06 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol this had me laughing I have a 1991 integra that hasn't been turned on/looked at in 3 weeks.

Just another step in life, enjoy it and mod the RX.
Old 01-15-12, 08:10 PM
reset2k
Rookie

Ouch, sorry to hear about what happened to your IS during transport. I would've made the towing/transport company pay for the damages - or take them to court. They should have been responsible for what transpires during loading/unloading (unless they made you sign something that says otherwise). Good luck on your new future in Southern Canada though
Old 01-15-12, 08:13 PM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

Great story! So sad to hear that you have to give it up!
Old 01-15-12, 08:59 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck with the RX family is greater than anything u made a wise choice
Old 01-15-12, 09:33 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

My wifes ride is an 08 RX350, our first Lexus was an 00 RX300. I think you will enjoy the RX, it's not as much fun as the IS but it is still a great car.
Old 01-15-12, 09:39 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats on everything..the soon to be wife, dog, job and new RX!
Old 01-15-12, 10:42 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on your new job! I am sorry to hear about the IS having to be sold (they make an AWD you know ) but you'll find that you will love the RX in a different way. It comfy and family friendly *cough*back seats*cough* besides, you're only 3 sections down the list. You know you'll be posting here out of habit. See you around OP!
Old 01-15-12, 10:53 PM
is_baby
Lead Lap

I hope all the best for you and enjoy the new RX
Old 01-16-12, 12:22 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for all the positive support guys. As you can see I'm up at 3:18 typing this...why? because honey badger (my dog) don't give a **** what time it is, our how cold outside it is when he has to get taken out to the bathroom, my phone reads -3

For those who chimed in about looking about the RX being a great car, I would agree. I really didn't think we were going to care for it too much when we went to test drive it last week. I got in it and was very impressed. (It happens to be the same color scheme as the IS) it was just a done deal after we drove it for a few miles. Trying to be positive about it. And yes, I know I will be clicking the IS-Second Generation button out of habit. The build threads, "look what I got today" thread, as well as all the picture threads, keep me entertained.

Originally Posted by reset2k
Ouch, sorry to hear about what happened to your IS during transport. I would've made the towing/transport company pay for the damages - or take them to court. They should have been responsible for what transpires during loading/unloading (unless they made you sign something that says otherwise). Good luck on your new future in Southern Canada though
My friend, you have no idea how much I've been fighting them. Let's just say this, all this happened on September 3rd of last year, and it wasn't until this past week, until I made the insurance claim. The fact is, on most of those transport things (and yes I got the insurance even on that little effer) they have some good *** lawyers who come up with their exclusions. The last, and I mean very last exclusion that it stated on the insurance for the trailer says "not responsible for loading/unloading"....those words have been ingrained in my head for MONTHS .

Luckily it wasnt anything that was too terrible. Someone is going to get an IS with a new front bumper/GFX front lip and sides skirts I'm just looking at a lesson learned