IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus is250 RWD wandering on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 05:22 PM
boss22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus is250 RWD wandering on the road

Hi everyone. Finally I drive IS 250 RWD. Its 2006 and it has 47.500 miles.

Recently I have noticed that the car has one small issue about steering.
When I drive on the nice smooth road the car handles perfectly and its tight in the corners (love it!) but as soon as I hit uneven surfaces the car seems to be wandering (like mouse on the floor) to the left or right after the road imperfections..? Same things happens when I am breaking, I feel pulling forces on the steering wheel slightly to the right or left and never know what side its gonna pull me. The car is RWD and I have 225/45R18 on the front and 255/45/18 on rear. Tires brand new, correctly balanced along with alignment performed by Town Fair Tire.
Did you experienced similar problems in your cars?
Do you think it maybe caused by too wide front tires?

I know that IS's don't have the best steering solution but is it that bad? Or maybe something is only wrong with mine?
Thank you.
Old 01-13-12, 05:48 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

I kind of have this happen in my 2008, but it's really not that noticeable. In my tahoe it's terrible but that's because the tires are over a foot wide and pull to wherever the imperfections in the road happen. If you feel a tug on the steering wheel while this occurs I would probably chalk it up to the tires following the imperfections in the road, if this happens and you don't feel anything on the steering wheel you have a big problem... Plus keep in mind new tires are stickier and want to follow the road more than worn tires.
Old 01-13-12, 06:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With low profile tires, the higher bigger the wheel, the more it will follow the crown and ruts - less tirewall and it is stiffer tire wall however you do have the advantages that it feels good and response is there. Does it on my IS250 RWD with 18" and also did that on the IS250 AWD with 17".

I wouldn't worry about it, it's normal. When I had a 99 Camry Solara which had 16" tires, its less because of the softer tire wall.

However I can say that on a stretch of freeway when I go on my way home, in the middle lane, there is a significant rut (they should repave that area), that any vehicle regardless of wheel size , the car would follow it because its worn.

Last edited by Sango; 01-14-12 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 07:59 AM
boss22
Driver

thank you guys i think i have no choice and just live with it. The car sticks to the road on smooth surfaces like crazy and I love it I think I a not going to look for trouble in my suspension but i might check is it everything is tight down there. Thank you!

Bu the way is there any diff in suspension mode between AWD and RWD? Thx
Old 01-15-12, 03:31 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The AWD and RWD suspension components is different therefore they are not the same.
Old 01-15-12, 07:27 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by boss22
thank you guys i think i have no choice and just live with it. The car sticks to the road on smooth surfaces like crazy and I love it I think I a not going to look for trouble in my suspension but i might check is it everything is tight down there. Thank you!

Bu the way is there any diff in suspension mode between AWD and RWD? Thx
Oh yeah! Go find yourself a nice smooth twisty road and use see how sticky those new tires are!! Also it never hurts to double check make sure everything is buttoned down, good idea