IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire Pressure sensor light coming on and going off

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 07:18 PM
Marexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Pressure sensor light coming on and going off

I recently took a trip in my IS and noticed that my tire pressure light would shut off while driving and randomly come back on.

Normally my tire pressure sensor light has been on and I have just ignored it.I had verified it was a bad tps sensor after verifying my tire pressure was good on several occasions. Question is which sensor is bad.

Other then tire pressure and a bad sensor am I missing something?

Also what's the easy way to pinpoint the bad sensor?

I guess all this could be solved with a trip to the dealer, but I'm more of a do it yourselfer kind of guy and like working on my own vehicles.

oh and thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-12, 08:09 PM
scampbell
Rookie

if there isnt a low tire, then you cant really troubleshoot that one yourself without the fancy tpms equipment they use....i hate having to use tpms sensors, i would rather just check the pressure myself every couple weeks
Old 01-11-12, 08:44 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

This happened to me on my old wheels. when i was driving on a freeway it would turn on then off again after driving on my street slow with my door open i heard something rolling around in my rim sure enough half of my sensor broke off and what was happening was when i was coming to a stop the sensor was close enough to the other half and would turn the light off but when i was on the gas the other half of the sensor would move and cause the light to turn on..

If you dont hear anything rolling around im pretty sure only option is having wheels and tires dismounted but before you do that check with a tire shop like discount or evans they did mine for free.
Old 01-11-12, 08:47 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marexus
I recently took a trip in my IS and noticed that my tire pressure light would shut off while driving and randomly come back on.

Normally my tire pressure sensor light has been on and I have just ignored it.I had verified it was a bad tps sensor after verifying my tire pressure was good on several occasions. Question is which sensor is bad.

I guess all this could be solved with a trip to the dealer, but I'm more of a do it yourselfer kind of guy and like working on my own vehicles.
Th
Is the light solid or blinking? If the light is solid, that means that the tire censor is good
Old 01-11-12, 08:50 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marexus

Th
Is the light solid or blinking? If the light is solid, that means that the tire sensor is good. If its blinking that means the sensor has a problem. If you are located in CA, I can help.
Old 01-12-12, 06:15 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

You can try resetting the system so that it knows the current pressure is normal, and the warning will light up 5psi (?) below this pressure.

1. Set your tires to the pressure you want.
2. I do it with the engine off so push start button twice without foot on brake.
3. Use ">" button in the lower left behind steering wheel to get to "TIRE PRESSURE" display.
4. Hold down "ON/OFF" button until tire pressure warning light blinks slowly three times and the message "PRESSURE INITIAL" appears on the display.
5. Wait a few minutes for the system to read the pressures. If your warning light was on before, it should go off when it is done.