IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 12:06 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, sounds like a faulty screen or ribbon cable. I purchased mine from Hong Kong for like $135 shipped.
Old 03-15-15, 06:54 PM
aareedy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ribbon cable

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Yeah, sounds like a faulty screen or ribbon cable. I purchased mine from Hong Kong for like $135 shipped.
Thanks gville - any idea what this cable is referred as? i've only found one on alibaba (which isn't super reputable). I'd like to fiigure out if its the ribbon cable before I buy a whole new screen. Then theres the big gamble.. if neither of these work i'm $350 in and screwed still.

The controls on the steering wheel & sides give me hope that its not the whole control unit.
Old 04-13-15, 09:53 AM
RiderNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default black screen and no AC

I read through this entire post and have seen multiple people comment about their screens going black and non of the buttons on the side working and no AC. I am having this issue, I can still control the radio. Has anyone found what was causing this issue?
The following users liked this post:
RPMGraphic (01-01-17)
Old 05-04-15, 07:55 AM
bigdawgfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chaddler
Thank you everyone for the pictures, suggestions, comments,etc. I always find the answers i need in CL. Everything went back together great, but my hazard lights go on when the car is turned off completely / ignition off. If the ignition is on or the car is running, lights don't flash. Fortunately i have two 2006 is 350s to steal from or switch parts back and forth . i switched out the flasher with the other car and it didn't fix it. The wire harass that plugs into the hazard/clock section has been investigated, everything looked normal, Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I ask because I replaced my digitizer last night and I have the same problem. The emergency flashers come on when I turn the car on, stay on for a minute or so, then turn off. It will also turn on randomly when the car is turned off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-04-15, 08:05 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought the ebay digitizer, price dropped to $44.99

But now that I think about it, this will only fix the screen... it doesn't explain why my Navigation unit doesn't get power anymore.

I still have no idea what happened to mine. I don't recommend doing this DIY because I followed the steps and BAM! No power to my navigation... which means no air conditioner, radio, or side mirror controls
Old 05-05-15, 04:33 PM
Gville350

^Your issue is more closely related to the "power supply issue", like what I experienced. Only a new, used NAV unit fixed my problem. Might have been fixed by the ebay seller in GA; but I found a hell of a deal on Craigslist I couldn't resist instead.
Old 05-11-15, 07:23 AM
chaddler
Driver School Candidate

Default Hazard lights misbehaving

Originally Posted by bigdawgfan
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I ask because I replaced my digitizer last night and I have the same problem. The emergency flashers come on when I turn the car on, stay on for a minute or so, then turn off. It will also turn on randomly when the car is turned off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The wire harness for the hazard lights is the same as the harness that goes to the radio antenna. You might have a xm/Sirius harness inline between the radio antenna harness and radio ( head unit). I interchanged the 2 accidentally and got flashing lights.

Last edited by chaddler; 05-11-15 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Not finished
Old 05-21-15, 09:51 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried this fix on a 2007 GS350? Are the navigation units the same? Same size digitizer?
Old 06-11-15, 06:39 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

What is holding the plastic frame where the buttons are to the unit? How did you separate the frame from the unit to get to the screen?
Old 06-11-15, 07:07 PM
Gville350

^Have you removed the entire NAV unit from the car yet?
Old 06-12-15, 04:17 PM
Savage562
Driver School Candidate

Default Help

Can anyone in socal help me with this? I'll pay for your services. Please contact me ASAP if possible.
Old 06-13-15, 09:05 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Have you removed the entire NAV unit from the car yet?
Yes and it was very easy, now I need to get the touch screen glass digitizer for my 2010 GX460. I can't find one yet. I want to know how to detach the old digitizer and put the new one. They are kind of glued. My digitizer works fine, it's just the protective film that got scraped. I wonder if you can remove the protective film on the digitizer and replace it with something else.
Old 06-13-15, 09:06 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

There is a place in California www.hightechserv.com that does this kind of jobs.
Old 07-03-15, 09:06 PM
mitnick
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I just replaced my digitizer today and it was successful.
Old 07-06-15, 10:10 AM
Acogs91
Driver School Candidate

Welp, my 2008 IS250 nav unit just went down. Like most of the other posts, my unit is unresponsive on every screen but on the GPS map. I can touch around on the map and the map will move around. However, none of the "options" on the map work. I feel comfortable with removing the whole unit, however I'm not sure about messing with the ribbon. I was thinking about ordering a new digitizer from eBay for $35 or so. Will this take care of my problem? How hard is it to remove the digitizer? I've messed around with iPhone screens and know that removing a digitizer from the phone is extremely tough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY