IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 09:48 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The digitizers that I ordered comes with the glass as one piece. So all you have to do is remove the digitizer and glass off together and replace them both. Removing it with a razor blade was easy. I didn't even have to use a blow dryer to heat up the glue.
Old 11-04-14, 01:24 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for this great writeup. I will attempt this soon as my screen has finally been effected by this issue after 8 years of ownership.

From what i've read, the Circuit Writer method seems to be a temp fix which eventually returns. I am considering purchasing one of those aftermarket digitizers only which I can get for around $25. Has anyone who installed the aftermarket digitizers have any comments or suggestions about them and how long has someone run the aftermarket digitizers for?

Last edited by lexus-is2; 11-04-14 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-04-14, 08:55 AM
IS300_white
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily true. I'm still going strong with the circuit writer solution. It all depends on how well you apply the fix. It's been about 1.5 years since I fixed it.
Old 11-20-14, 02:31 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2008 ISF, pearl white with black interior.. I do not have this problem and hope i never will. However it seems to be so common that im thinking of purchasing a screen/digitizer so ill be ready since its fairly cheap and im technically inclined to do it.

I went through this whole thread and seems all IS models are the same with a 4 wire digitzer. But when i browsed ebay i found this one claiming it has 8 wires and 7.0" screen rather than 7.3" and 4 wires...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-0inch-LCD-Screen-Touch-LTA070B511F-for-LEXUS-IS200-IS220-IS250-IS300-IS350-/191310272526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8afb180e
Old 12-02-14, 08:20 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went ahead and ordered one since its cheap enough to keep just in case it ever happens..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231406552917?item=231406552917&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Old 12-19-14, 09:53 AM
Husni08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu
The digitizers that I ordered comes with the glass as one piece. So all you have to do is remove the digitizer and glass off together and replace them both. Removing it with a razor blade was easy. I didn't even have to use a blow dryer to heat up the glue.
Major shoutout to Mr2KiEu,

I was sitting around last night reading this thread for the millionth time and finally set myself on fixing my navi after almost two years.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-21-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 11:42 AM
Husni08
Pole Position

Guys,

I'm having a hard time returning all of the connections. By that I mean there is one connector that I can't find a wire for... It's the navy blue one that connects right about the light blue one. Is the connector also a navy blue? I can't believe I can't find this... If anyone can offer some guidance I would appreciate it. Pic is below....

Also, with all the connectors (that I could find) it seems that my radio works although when I click the Map button it gives me the "The External System Is Not Connected" error. I'm starting to think by replacing the digitizer I haven't fixed my navi.

I'm trying to get this finished today so any quick advice is much appreciated!
Old 12-20-14, 12:19 PM
Husni08
Pole Position

Nvm, turns out to be for Mark Levinson packages.. But I still have two issues! My physical buttons on the bottom aren't working and when I click Map it tells me that my external system isn't connected. Did I miss something?
Old 01-20-15, 09:44 PM
bridget09
Driver School Candidate

My navigation system has been crapped out for over a year. thanks to this post we might actually have it fixed in a few days. Yay! thanks everybody!0
Old 01-26-15, 11:25 AM
delirium
Rookie

Originally Posted by speeddem0n
I went ahead and ordered one since its cheap enough to keep just in case it ever happens..

Touch Screen Digitizer for 2006 2009 Lexus IS250 IS300 is350 Navigation | eBay
Circuit writer didnt fix my issue either as only parts of the screen work now. As for the replacement digitizer, since it doesn come with the glass, do you reuse the factory glass or just stick the digitizer right onto the screen? If there is not glass, then the nav will be recessed right? Seems like the factory glass will need to be reused with the new digitizer. Can anyone confirm please?
Old 01-30-15, 01:41 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by delirium
Circuit writer didnt fix my issue either as only parts of the screen work now. As for the replacement digitizer, since it doesn come with the glass, do you reuse the factory glass or just stick the digitizer right onto the screen? If there is not glass, then the nav will be recessed right? Seems like the factory glass will need to be reused with the new digitizer. Can anyone confirm please?

The digitizer and glass is one piece. You do not reuse the factory digitizer/glass. You just have to stick the digitizer over the LCD screen. It will not be recessed. Hope that answers your question. Goodluck!
Old 02-10-15, 07:51 PM
tlegend
Rookie

Originally Posted by speeddem0n

Touch Screen Digitizer for 2006 2009 Lexus IS250 IS300 is350 Navigation | eBay
Just did mine from the same ebay seller as that. Works great no issues saved me some $$$$... My nav is working again
Old 02-11-15, 09:12 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

So ya, I did this, step by step, carefully. Put it all back together... and now I have NO power to the unit at all.

I rechecked all the wires and plugs. I checked the fuses. I disconnected the battery. No power. WTF!
Old 02-26-15, 03:10 PM
myfirstisf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unionper
Hey, im looking to buy a broken or working navigation unit.

I actually only need this ribbon here

heres a link to a bigger pic http://postimg.org/image/9t1l8frfb/

my screen isn't turning on now because it looks like one of the small teeth on the ribbon ripped off.

please pm me or let me know if anyone has this ribbon or a complete navigation unit.

Thanks

hey what did you do with this ribbon cable then? i was just taking apart my navigation and accidentli ripped it in half, what did you do with yours?
Old 03-12-15, 07:39 PM
aareedy
Driver School Candidate

Default Ribbon cable?

Originally Posted by myfirstisf
hey what did you do with this ribbon cable then? i was just taking apart my navigation and accidentli ripped it in half, what did you do with yours?
I have a broken lead on the end of this cable as well and need a replacement. I found a seller - but theyre out of stock. Anyone have an extra?
http://opuradio.com/products-detail.php?ProId=481

Also - I did the entire fix. Digitizer is checking out fine on multimeter, but now the entire LCD will not come on. I'm hoping its from this trace on the ribbon cable being broken.
Side buttons & everything else works.. radio is on and can control with steering wheel buttons. If i can buy a new LCD, at this point i'll just spend the $300 and be done with it. I just have no way to verify that the LCD is the actual problem now. I've checked all fuses i can find that seem applicable.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY