IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 03:52 AM
Lexusnme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, its no longer under warranty, will have to pay to fix, what did they do to cause it to suddenly freeze up...
Old 06-30-14, 07:12 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are four clips holding the center air conditioner vents in. They need to be in the "down" position. Be very careful here as these clips will break pretty easily if you apply too much force. I accidentally broke one of them when it was still in the "up" position and it made it very difficult to pull the vents out. A very small piece of my dash was broken off in the process. It will take some wiggling to get the vents out just be patient.
Can someone explain what exactly the "down" position is? I don't want to break them, but they move around fairly easily, but I feel no click or anything that would indicate something is "free".

Thx

I found the vid in post 318. Problem solved

Last edited by scott1256c; 06-30-14 at 08:18 PM. Reason: found sol'n
Old 07-01-14, 01:32 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

ok, my thanks to the people who contributed to this thread, in particular post #1 and post #318. I now have a working screen. I was going to leave this whole thing until today, but decided last evening to start on it. I did run into a couple of small issues, but mostly the information in those two posts is on the money. I had my unit working and back in the car by noon today.
In case anyone runs into the same problem, to get the face off I had to remove the two side brackets. Between the display and the dvd changer there are two small clips that were preventing the face from coming loose. Once the dvd unit was out of there the clips were easy to spot and unfasten. No real problem getting it back together except the cable that connects to the ash tray kept getting in the way. The video from post #318 doesn't mention them at all, and i was trying to remove the face plate without removing those brackets.

I guess we'll see how long the fix lasts. I think the biggest satisfaction from this is knowing that the next time it goes I can go buy a $50 touch screen and replace that part and fix the problem for good (hopefully).

Also of note: My circuit writer pen doesn't work very well. I had more success sticking a pin in the end, drawing out a small bubble of fluid and applying that to the circuit.
Old 07-25-14, 10:07 PM
pct91
Driver School Candidate

i attempted the fix and now my screen is completely black im not sure what i did wrong but my buttons on left and right side are still lit and buttons still makes noise when pressed. Screen was stuck on I agree before i attempted the fix. Not sure what i should do now. Also which display/touchscreen i should purchase to replace please help thank you
Old 07-26-14, 01:34 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How much is the screen replacement cost if DIY?

I do not have this issue (knock on wood) but just wondering.

Thanks
Old 07-29-14, 10:54 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone else who has done this fix ended up shorting out their hazards and clock? I have no idea how, but I thought I simply fried the clock circuit, so bought a new one. That didn't fix it. For the life of me can't find a blown fuse. All fuses under the passenger side are good.

Any ideas?

Although I gained my nav back, not having a clock sort of sucks. haha
Old 07-29-14, 11:13 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

When I posted "touch screen", I guess i should have said "digitzer" instead.
Search this thread to find the digitizers people are talking about. I don't know if any one of them in particular is recommended as being better than something else.
Old 08-01-14, 02:48 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I'm probably going to end up ordering a new screen (w/ digitizer) which I guess is LTA070B511F? Anyone have a particular eBay seller I should trust? I saw some people say they got screens with a different hue and some people say they got screens that looked clearer. Obviously I'd prefer no hue and much clearer.
Old 08-03-14, 05:36 AM
dmelczer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CPinLA41
Hey all:

I did the fix and everything is working great....EXCEPT.....

when I went to re-pair my phone to the nav system, the "TELEPHONE" icon in the nav system is gone. disappeared. like it was never there. STRANGE. its the only thing i notice to be different.

Any thoughts? tips? advice? Did this happen to anyone else?

-CP
Has anyone ever found a fix to this issue? Experiencing the same thing and hoping that someone might share how they got their bluetooth working again.

Thanks in advance?
Old 08-04-14, 06:53 AM
dmelczer
Driver School Candidate

For anyone interested, at least my Bluetooth issue has been solved.

It turns out that the Bluetooth receiver module is located directly beneath the MAP, DEST, and MENU buttons and is enclosed in clear plastic. This has a cable that goes completely beneath the touch screen to almost the complete opposite side of the unit where it plugs in underneath the touchscreen. When reassembling, I must have knocked that connector loose and didn't realize it.

I hope this helps someone else...
Old 08-04-14, 09:12 AM
chaddler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tcho82
Has anyone else who has done this fix ended up shorting out their hazards and clock? I have no idea how, but I thought I simply fried the clock circuit, so bought a new one. That didn't fix it. For the life of me can't find a blown fuse. All fuses under the passenger side are good.

Any ideas?

Although I gained my nav back, not having a clock sort of sucks. haha
The plug that fits the hazard/clock unit also fits the cd input/ lower unit. You might have them switched. The satellite radio plug is also the same and should go between cd/DVD unit and cd/DVD plug. Hope this helps
Old 08-21-14, 03:09 PM
vanduse1
Driver School Candidate

Anyone in Phoenix been successful and willing to help?
Old 08-21-14, 03:40 PM
Elkcrest6
Driver School Candidate

Default Frozen Navigation Screen Re-Install Help Needed

So, my wife's 2008 IS 250's touch screen finally went out. Surviving 125k miles of hard driving, it's actually somewhat of a miracle.

Nonetheless, thanks to you fine folks I was able to remove the screen and do "the fix." In my over-eagerness to remove everything I lost track of where all the connections go. I tried to reinstall, but am not getting power to the air conditioning unit and think I may have something incorrectly plugged in. The only potential mix up could be with the following wires (see pics). There are three plugs that are the same size, with only two ports that go into the head unit itself. Does anyone know the correct way to plug these in?

Thanks,

MG
Attached Thumbnails Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-from-skitch.jpg   Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-from-skitch-1-.jpg  
Old 08-23-14, 08:56 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The one clip that is attached to the side of the unit there should have a matching wire that is separated by itself and will not be "bundled" with others. If I remember correctly, all of the others were a bundled grouping which all connected into the rear of the unit.
Old 09-15-14, 02:01 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaddler
The plug that fits the hazard/clock unit also fits the cd input/ lower unit. You might have them switched. The satellite radio plug is also the same and should go between cd/DVD unit and cd/DVD plug. Hope this helps
Just saw this. You sir are a genius!!!!!

I had no idea they were the same size. Took apart the dash and voila, I have a clock again! Isn't the whole point of the different sized plugs to avoid this exact situation? Thanks again man!

Last edited by tcho82; 09-15-14 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY