IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 10:03 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

It took me 3 attempts but I just repaired one of these screens!

Thanks to the OP and everyone who has contributed to the issue
Old 03-08-14, 12:17 AM
Cajunis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Got one in stock. $199 shipped.

Well I just bought this one from Tanin, installed it in about an hour and presto, working again. By the way the screen looks better and clearer than it ever has.
Old 04-06-14, 09:10 PM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone that has contributed to this thread. I managed to fix mine on the weekend with a circuitwriter pen. One trick I used was to drill a 1mm hole on top of the glass on connector 1 so the conductive ink could run through.

I also put conductive ink on all 4 connectors just in case another was going to have an issue.

If you do this be VERY VERY careful when you take out the unit. My dashboard is almost marshmellow soft and I scratched it next to the unit getting it out. Its because it very heavy and there are connectors in hard to see places behind it......

Now I'm going to find someone who repairs vinyl to touch it up a bit...
Old 04-07-14, 03:28 PM
locdawgg
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have a link to a the ebay screens? Are the OEM screens made by Toshiba ? From what i see in the pictures above the ebay screens also have the brand toshiba on them
Old 04-07-14, 04:36 PM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LTA070B511F-for-Lexus-IS250-IS350-IS-F-Navigation-LCD-Touch-Screen-USA-Shipping-/121293366322?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c3da5e432&vxp=mtr
I just purchased this from the seller above.It says in the item description that this is a OEM part from Japan, it even states that it is a Toshiba.I will respond back after i install it.
Old 04-07-14, 07:01 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Sup fellows? so my touch screen just died last week. what are my options? how do i know if the system need to be replace? the nav screen is stuck on the caution message, but seems like the rest is fine. when i do auto for the a/c i can see that the screen is working it self because i can see the location on the vent is moving. its just the touch screen not working. is this just electrical? im not good with DIY so i need you guys input, coz i wouldn't want to wast some $$$...thanks
Old 04-14-14, 01:17 AM
kook911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chris07is
Sup fellows? so my touch screen just died last week. what are my options? how do i know if the system need to be replace? the nav screen is stuck on the caution message, but seems like the rest is fine. when i do auto for the a/c i can see that the screen is working it self because i can see the location on the vent is moving. its just the touch screen not working. is this just electrical? im not good with DIY so i need you guys input, coz i wouldn't want to wast some $$$...thanks
Only way to find out it to take the unit out and test it. Could be that the screen lost connection and you need to hit it with the circut writer pen. Just follow the DYI and you will be fine. That will be your cheapest route. Best of luck
Old 04-14-14, 11:33 PM
bworth27
Driver School Candidate

Default Another VERY Satisfied customer!!

Dear All,

First of all a warm thank you to ALL who have contributed to this post!, bur Especially greg0126, and his great photo write up.

That write up gave me the confidence to give it a go, having first researched some of the eBay options.

Yes, ours is a Charcoal coloured car with Black interior, located in Australia (Sydney, but with little usage sitting in the sun I would say, 2007 with 110k km / 70k miles? on the clock.

Hardest part was getting the unit out (a/c Ducts);

Second was connecting up all the cables to the back of the unit! [I had Colour coded many of the plugs / loom assemblies so that there was no ambiguity when re-connecting. I was glad that I also labelled the connector for the cigarette lighter so that I knew to ignore it!

I was unable to fix the existing display using the Circuit writer pen, which cost AU$29.95, at Jaycar our local electronics store, probably having done too much damage to the glass in order to expose the copper tracks.

I then ordered TWO the following eBay touch-screen replacements, one from 'China', the other came from 'Hong Kong' , Each cost US$40 each, ie US$80 in total. I ordered both units separately to safeguard a faulty/delayed delivery. each took about 10 days to arrive.

"7.3'' INCH Touch Screen Digitizer Panel Replacement FOR Lexus IS300 IS250 IS350"
Links (2)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331092663...84.m1439.l2649
and

Both arrived Packaged Identicaly, (same supplier, both from Hong Kong).

I performed the same 'swap over' (repair that was described in message Reply #232, and all went very easily. Worked fine, 'New" display looks a bit brighter than old one, not sure if true or perceived? NO YELLOW CAST AT ALL! Separating the old Screen was easy (Razor blade as per his message. East to glue, and re-connect... Job Done!

(...although I Cracked the old screen along one edge)

Different 'offset' by about 1cm, 3/8th inch not a problem, as new "ribbon cable", longer, easy to maneuver. Too early to tell if this could be a long term issue?? .

Very happy!

A comment with regards to Greg0126's original write up is some additional advice between Pics 11 and 12, to remove the Grey Plastic Fascia by removing the 4 screws at the sides. Photo 13 shows it removed, but it was a simple oversight not mentioning this step. Remove the fascia as operation 11a, if you will !!
(You will have great difficulty removing the Ribbon Cable, and the 3 Connectors, with the front Grey Plastic still attached.).

The second unit? I hope I never have to replace another, but I will have it to hand if required.

P.
in Sydney
Old 04-16-14, 03:44 PM
is3FIFTY
Rookie

*sighs* Mines been out for about a month now so I guess I will be trying this soon. Nice write up!!! Hope it works for me.
Old 04-17-14, 08:27 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bworth27
Dear All,

First of all a warm thank you to ALL who have contributed to this post!, bur Especially greg0126, and his great photo write up.

That write up gave me the confidence to give it a go, having first researched some of the eBay options.

Yes, ours is a Charcoal coloured car with Black interior, located in Australia (Sydney, but with little usage sitting in the sun I would say, 2007 with 110k km / 70k miles? on the clock.

Hardest part was getting the unit out (a/c Ducts);

Second was connecting up all the cables to the back of the unit! [I had Colour coded many of the plugs / loom assemblies so that there was no ambiguity when re-connecting. I was glad that I also labelled the connector for the cigarette lighter so that I knew to ignore it!

I was unable to fix the existing display using the Circuit writer pen, which cost AU$29.95, at Jaycar our local electronics store, probably having done too much damage to the glass in order to expose the copper tracks.

I then ordered TWO the following eBay touch-screen replacements, one from 'China', the other came from 'Hong Kong' , Each cost US$40 each, ie US$80 in total. I ordered both units separately to safeguard a faulty/delayed delivery. each took about 10 days to arrive.

"7.3'' INCH Touch Screen Digitizer Panel Replacement FOR Lexus IS300 IS250 IS350"
Links (2)
and

Both arrived Packaged Identicaly, (same supplier, both from Hong Kong).

I performed the same 'swap over' (repair that was described in message Reply #232, and all went very easily. Worked fine, 'New" display looks a bit brighter than old one, not sure if true or perceived? NO YELLOW CAST AT ALL! Separating the old Screen was easy (Razor blade as per his message. East to glue, and re-connect... Job Done!

(...although I Cracked the old screen along one edge)

Different 'offset' by about 1cm, 3/8th inch not a problem, as new "ribbon cable", longer, easy to maneuver. Too early to tell if this could be a long term issue?? .

Very happy!

A comment with regards to Greg0126's original write up is some additional advice between Pics 11 and 12, to remove the Grey Plastic Fascia by removing the 4 screws at the sides. Photo 13 shows it removed, but it was a simple oversight not mentioning this step. Remove the fascia as operation 11a, if you will !!
(You will have great difficulty removing the Ribbon Cable, and the 3 Connectors, with the front Grey Plastic still attached.).

The second unit? I hope I never have to replace another, but I will have it to hand if required.

P.
in Sydney
That's extremely cheap for a replacement screen. What's the quality compared to oem? My tools for the fit cost more than this. I might go this route if quality is good.
Old 04-17-14, 01:24 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
That's extremely cheap for a replacement screen.
Those ebay auctions are NOT for replacement screens, they are ONLY the digitizers.
Old 04-17-14, 06:27 PM
is3FIFTY
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Those ebay auctions are NOT for replacement screens, they are ONLY the digitizers.
Might have to order this.. Think my digitizer is bad. Touch screen doesn't work.
Old 04-19-14, 06:43 PM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have just installed a new screen that i purchased on ebay . It is the oem part made by Toshiba in Japan. It works great!

Check out the attached pictures for the old screen connector vs new screen cnnector.

You will notice that the new screen connector is more robust with itts circuirty lines. First picture is the old connector, second is the new one.

I do not fear this one loosing connection. To save a headache and make it a permanant fix just get the OEM Toshiba screen made in Japan, you wont be sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-old-screen.jpg   Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-new-screen.jpg  
Old 04-21-14, 05:15 AM
bworth27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Absolute Correct!

However I would suspect that 97% of the 'Screen" failures are actually just failures of the "DIGITIZER ONLY", which only costs about a quarter of less of the ["Screen" + "Digitizer"] units that have previously been the ONLY?? available alternative to "Repair"??

Likely if you get the "Warning" Screen and it is "normal" in its display (looks the same, not patchy etc), but CANNOT dismiss it with the normal action, then I suspect that that is ALL that is required to replace.

(If I remember correctly, the reversing camera still came on as usual, which indicated some "brain" function?)

It is a shame that the "Digitizer" is the only to "talk" to the car for all these major functions, ie Climate, Auto, navigation etc;, and that thee is no secondary access to these systems.

I would probably go down the same route again, given that the actual cost either just the Digitiser ($40), or Screen ($150?) by comparison to the "dealer" repair is trivial, and the major "cost" was the inconvenience of having the dash out, (the car was still quite drive-able), and of course... a wife who was going "here we go again".

But we are all used to THAT aren't we?

Thanks again,

P.
in Sydney
Old 04-22-14, 12:32 PM
jplex919
Driver School Candidate

So I want to give this a try...just to be clear..my screen display is lit up and working...back up camera works too. I tried to do this a while back but I think I half ***'d it...Should I be looking into replacing just the digitizer or the screen also? Help please!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY