IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help removing oem ballast for 2012 led headlight swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 06:41 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Need help removing oem ballast for 2012 led headlight swap

i got the ballest itself off of the headlight but how to you get the connector that plugs in the back of the light bulb out of that tightly compact headlight? my stock headlights has afs
Old 12-30-11, 06:45 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have HID but judging from the pictures looks like you have to snake the female wire connector from the ballast under the headlight cover
Old 12-30-11, 06:53 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

i dont know what you mean by that
Old 12-30-11, 08:39 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Came to conclusion that i must crack open the headlights to remove the ballest. my 2008 model has afs and i can see that the afs motor was in the way of removing the bulb connector. the 2012 led xenon headlight doesnt have afs.
So for those of you doing the 2012 led headlight conversion and planned to swap over bulbs and ballast like me to save money, you will only be able to swap the bulbs. maybe the people without afs can remove the ballast without cracking the headlights open.
Old 12-30-11, 08:42 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Everyone with HID and no LED's has AFS. There's a reason Lexus doesn't sell the ballast separately on the 06-10 HID headlights.

Jeff
Old 12-30-11, 08:52 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Everyone with HID and no LED's has AFS. There's a reason Lexus doesn't sell the ballast separately on the 06-10 HID headlights.

Jeff
makes lotta sense, i wished i knew that before attempting to remove my ballast. thanks
Old 12-31-11, 11:08 AM
monet33
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sick told me he just cut the plug and reattached it. I guess you have to decide if you want to cut it or crack open the headlight
Old 12-31-11, 11:12 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might just need to do this in the near future, too :-/
Old 01-01-12, 11:11 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by monet33
Sick told me he just cut the plug and reattached it. I guess you have to decide if you want to cut it or crack open the headlight
i thought of that also. but i didnt wanna risk ruining an expensive ballast. i ended up buying another set of used ones. im loving my new led headlights
Old 01-01-12, 12:09 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No!!! Don't crack open the housing or cut the ballast connector wire either. All you have to do is remove the metal cover of the ballast connector, pry out the two small plugs inside that's it. Then you'll be able to pull the wire out and reattach them the same way but in reverse. Tools needed: a pair of small needle nose pliers and a flat head screw. It's much easier than it sounds. Remember to put everything back the way you took them out (specially the small wire plugs)
Old 01-01-12, 07:33 PM
monet33
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my07is350
No!!! Don't crack open the housing or cut the ballast connector wire either. All you have to do is remove the metal cover of the ballast connector, pry out the two small plugs inside that's it. Then you'll be able to pull the wire out and reattach them the same way but in reverse. Tools needed: a pair of small needle nose pliers and a flat head screw. It's much easier than it sounds. Remember to put everything back the way you took them out (specially the small wire plugs)
you didn't have any problem trying to remove the plug with the afs motor in the way? This video shows the guy opening up the headlight (around 3min) what is the metal cover you're referring to?
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_gCBHdJoo
Old 01-01-12, 10:41 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

If you pay attention carefully , you'll see when the guy pulled out the connector of the ballast, there is a cover (or shroud) that is in silver metal encasing the black plastic connector. That's what you need to remove first before you can remove the two small plugs. I'd try to avoid by all cost to use a hot gun to seperate the lens and housing like in the video, if you don't know what you are doing, you might down the road have a condensation on the inside that will lead to more problems.

Last edited by my07is350; 01-02-12 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-01-12, 10:59 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by my07is350
ive opened up the ballast. i didnt think those connections were removable. i was afraid of breaking it since they plugs are small like you said and having probs sodering later on. Nice to know for anyone else doing the led headlight conversion. too bad i already purchase another set of ballast and finished the swap.

ive cracked open headlights with headgun and ovens before and its alot harder then it looks. especially putting it back together correctly CLEAN.
Old 01-02-12, 07:30 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
ive opened up the ballast. i didnt think those connections were removable. i was afraid of breaking it since they plugs are small like you said and having probs sodering later on. Nice to know for anyone else doing the led headlight conversion. too bad i already purchase another set of ballast and finished the swap.

ive cracked open headlights with headgun and ovens before and its alot harder then it looks. especially putting it back together correctly CLEAN.
I also opened up the ballast and it didn't seem removable to me either. I ended up cutting the wires and just re-attaching it. Hoepfully it dosn't cause an issue down road.

How much was the new ballast? Maybe i should get ones? Anyone know if i'll have any problems down the road with me cutting the wire?
Old 01-02-12, 07:44 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Oh well, it's too late now but anyway, just FYI, the small plugs that I mentioned are push in type (just pry them out with a small flat tip screw driver) not soldered to the connector side, do not touch the ballast side. Ebay has the ballasts on sale for $69 a piece used and $89 new if I remember it correctly. Hopefully it will be helpful information to the guys who haven't done this swapping yet.

Last edited by my07is350; 01-02-12 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help removing oem ballast for 2012 led headlight swap