IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Personalized Settings - The List is a LIE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 08:20 AM
Seansvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Personalized Settings - The List is a LIE!

Howdy Club,

I'm Sean. I'm relatively new here, but have owned several Toyota and Lexus vehicles, and have been lurking for some time now. Although I currently own a Manual 2008 IS250 in Tungsten Pearl,

This information concerns all Lexus models with Personalized Setting options.

A (tiny, condensed) bit of history on the revelation:

After having a nightmarish experience with a Lexus dealer in Texas, I threatened to publish ads and take legal action, and in the end received around $3,000 off of the service in question, and I was given a bit of the "star treatment" in order to keep me from setting my newest Lexus on fire in their showroom. (Again, this is another, very good story...)

One of the (unrelated) things I was complaining about during this debacle was that I had been given no less than 4 (FOUR!) different lists of Personalized Settings for my specific vehicle, and NONE MATCHED ANY OTHER. After I (loudly) complained, I was told that a Tech would sit with me after completion of service, and would go through the list with me in it's entirety. So here's the great part:

Q. Think you have seen the COMPLETE list of Personalization Settings for your vehicle?

A. NO, YOU HAVEN'T.

Forget the Manual, forget the Quick Start guide, forget your Lexus Driver's account info and for goodness sake, don't trust any list your service manager prints out for you.

The fact is, EVERY PUBLISHED LIST OF OPTIONS IS HIGHLY CONDENSED.

My Manual 2008 IS250 had WELL OVER 100 OPTIONS.

In order to see this, the Tech had to sit in my vehicle with a laptop quipped with a LEXUS docking station, plug into the OBDII, and go through the options lists, one by one. Again, the number of options is truly staggering. My "Personalization Setting Session" took ONE FULL HOUR. When I complained to the Tech that there was no comprehensive, or even matching lists for these options, he told me, "All published lists contain the options that we feel are most requested and desired by our customers. A complete list would be f... too big."

It is important to note that many of these options were INSIGNIFICANT, and many others were UNCLEAR or CONFUSING. Between the Tech and myself, there were some that we simply could not decipher the purpose of.

It is also important to note that I was being handled with kid gloves, and with many a posterior smooch at the time, and I don't think that most Lexus dealerships would be willing to do this for an average customer, and certainly not for free. I did tie up a Tech for the better part of an hour doing this...

It is probably most important to note, however, that this CAN BE DONE, and with the right motivation, they might even do it for you!

Thanks to everyone who freely shares their knowledge here,

-Sean S.
Old 12-30-11, 08:23 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Sean,

That's pretty interesting. Could you share some of the options that you recall were not on the lists? I'm just curious to see what kind of things there are.
Old 12-30-11, 08:28 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did you change that wasnt on one of the lists?
Old 12-30-11, 08:32 AM
Shervin021
Driver

Originally Posted by greg0126
Hey Sean,

That's pretty interesting. Could you share some of the options that you recall were not on the lists? I'm just curious to see what kind of things there are.
Old 12-30-11, 08:36 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iRock
what did you change that wasnt on one of the lists?
Better question- what options weren't on the comprehensive LPS list that has been in the 2IS FAQ here for nearly 5 years?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-settings.html
Old 12-30-11, 08:37 AM
MoarLow
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

So confused...Please elaborate more!
Old 12-30-11, 08:46 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I'm confused as well. What stuff? And what did you get $3,000 off on?
Old 12-30-11, 08:50 AM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Better question- what options weren't on the comprehensive LPS list that has been in the 2IS FAQ here for nearly 5 years?

Yes, I think the document that lobux posted has most, if not all of the hidden settings. It's a much more comprehensive list than the the usual LPS setting sheet the dealers hand out, which only contains around 15 choices.
Old 12-30-11, 09:30 AM
Seansvs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz

OK, so the quoted list above is SEVERELY CONDENSED, as I stated above, there is a SHOCKINGLY long list of things that can be customized, and as the above stated thread is the most comprehensive list available, so I started this thread to encourage people to inquire at their dealership, because

they will tell you that their published lists are complete, they do NOT want to do this for you.
(Not that I blame them, it's kind of a pain...)

I'm on the phone now with Lexus, trying to discover is a list can be extracted from my car, as I have been REPEATEDLY told by Lexus,

THERE IS NO COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF OPTIONS IN PRINT.
Old 12-30-11, 09:34 AM
Seansvs
Driver School Candidate

Good News everybody! My Service Manager was able to pull the record of Personalized settings for my car, and is faxing it to me in a few minutes.

HE SAYS IT IS TEN PAGES LONG!!!

Stay tuned, I will either post scanned images of the list, or I will re-type it, depending on the information contained therein.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-11, 09:54 AM
Seansvs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
...And what did you get $3,000 off on?
I want to avoid posting this publicly, as I did get the problem resolved, at least to the point where I didn't feel it necessary to publish my Ad at the time. I will tell you that it caused a huge bit of commotion at the dealership, has caused me to cease all future dealings with that dealership after purchasing 3 cars in less than a year, and was no small factor in a 20+ year employee leaving the dealership.

I was treated VERY poorly by this dealership, but I feel like this in no way reflects on the quality of the Lexus product, so I try not to do too much complaining, my IS250 has been my favorite car, although it's No. 7!

Last edited by Seansvs; 12-30-11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 10:10 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm pretty confused about what the issue is here.
Old 12-30-11, 10:11 AM
Seansvs
Driver School Candidate

Arg! My frustration continues!

The dealership sent me the C-Best List, instead of a list for MY car. I'll keep trying and see what I can dig up. It's been a year ago, so sorry, but I can't come up with any specific examples right now, I'll post MY list when I can get it from the dealer, guess I'll have to go up there...

Stay tuned!
Old 12-30-11, 10:20 AM
sung3d
Rookie

Confused here too
Old 12-30-11, 10:43 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sung3d
Confused here too
Is there anything in this thread that Sung3d posted about personalized settings a lie? lol
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-like-me.html

Quick Reply: Lexus Personalized Settings - The List is a LIE!