IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I locked my keys inside my car....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 10:30 PM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I locked my keys inside my car....

and i have no spare

My key fob battery has been dead for almost 4 day days but instead of replacing it asap, I decided to hold off on a few days because I'm an idiot procrastinator that fails at life... So for the past few days, I've been using the key to open my door and holding the fob next to ignition to start my car. Well tonight I had to run some errands and stop by my cousin's house to drop off some gifts... As I was getting out my car, I hit the door lock button on the handle and was not yet aware that I left my keys inside. What's funny is I could've sworn I had my keys in my pocket. I remember even joking to myself that it would suck if I left my keys in my car... and now it happened. I didn't realize I left my keys in the car until I was heading out my cousin's house. I check my pockets and look around his house thinking I just misplaced it somewhere and that I can't be dumb enough to leave my keys inside the car... but I go outside, peak inside my car, lo and behold my keys are sitting in the middle cup holder....

Right now, the obvious thing to do, would be to call a Lexus dealership first thing in the morning. But I'm concerned that they might not be able to make me a spare without having the original key and since my car wasn't purchased at any local dealerships. I thought about getting a locksmith too but I'm worried they might mess up some electronic components.

FML
The following users liked this post:
beefygrl101 (06-22-23)
Old 12-15-11, 10:34 PM
getfunky
Driver

Next to your door handle is actually a cover... there's a little wedge underneath it that you pry off with your key and that will expose the key hole. I found that out by googling it when my remote battery died.
Old 12-15-11, 10:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

at least you're parked at family house.
Old 12-15-11, 10:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait you locked the car using the outside door lock/unlock button or the inside? Just wondering because the outside one shouldn't work without the key fob as far as i remember...

Anyways, a lock smith might be able to unlock the car using the physical key slot.
Old 12-15-11, 10:37 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

So...you locked your doors from the inside then shut the doors. I know you can't lock it when you leave the fob inside the car and press the button on the door handle. Idk goodluck
Old 12-15-11, 10:40 PM
getfunky
Driver

No, I don't have it. My keys are still inside... Opening my door by using the key was something I had to do prior to this incident.
getfunky
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Wait you locked the car using the outside door lock/unlock button or the inside? Just wondering because the outside one shouldn't work without the key fob as far as i remember...

Anyways, a lock smith might be able to unlock the car using the physical key slot.
The inside. I shouldn't have said handle.
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah if your fob is sitting in your cup holder door should never lock and wont lock that is to prevent this from happing. If you left the key for the door inside and your battery dead then just it up radio shack for a new battery and your done. Its a $5 cheaper than a lock smith.
Old 12-15-11, 10:43 PM
getfunky
Driver

Both keys and FOB are inside.
Old 12-15-11, 11:05 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn thats terrible. I have no idea what your gonna have to do. Maybe tow your car to lexus to have a new one programed? Idk the process of syncing a key fob, so idk if thats even possible. Please update this thread with the dealers solution. I always worry this may happen to me since i lost my spare... If all else fails, break your window (JUST KIDDING.) Good luck man
Old 12-15-11, 11:07 PM
moto12345
Driver

opps, i did the same thing last week
Old 12-15-11, 11:09 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by laobo979
Yeah if your fob is sitting in your cup holder door should never lock and wont lock that is to prevent this from happing. If you left the key for the door inside and your battery dead then just it up radio shack for a new battery and your done. Its a $5 cheaper than a lock smith.
He left both inside. If the Key Fob is dead and inside the car, the car doesn't know where it is....because its dead...so therefore it allowed the key to be locked in the car. If the key fob was working, it wouldn't have allowed it.
Old 12-15-11, 11:23 PM
JoeXus1
Rookie

Any spare?
Old 12-15-11, 11:28 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeXus1
Any spare?
I'm pretty sure OP is smart enough that he wouldn't have posted this if he had a spare
The following users liked this post:
beefygrl101 (06-22-23)
Old 12-15-11, 11:35 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

WOW am surprise a lot of people pick and choose what the read! The guy left his FOB inside the car, and FOB has a dead battery, so the car can recognize that the key is inside. He lock the doors with the lock button on the inside of the door.

Here is my solution if I was in your shoes!...Call AAA! No AAA then...

GO to a Lexus Dealer make sure you have your VIN number with you (make sure is correct!), order the key only! just the key on the FOB (the key inside the FOB) you will need the VIN so they can cut the key...AM assuming you shouldn't spend no more than $100 for this. Once you have the key just unlock the door.

Quick Reply: I locked my keys inside my car....