IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bought my IS...journey in pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 01:09 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my IS...journey in pictures

So after reading a few threads about everyone else buying their cars it came to me that I never made my post on here when I got back! I had posted on a couple other forums, but somehow I didn't do it on this one. Anyway, some may call me crazy, but I did fly a few states up north to buy my car and drive it home 1000 miles. What sparked me to do such is there really isn't a very good selection of 2IS's around me locally. That mixed with the fact that I was very particular about what I wanted since I don't flip cars after a couple years like a lot of people do nowadays...I knew I would be driving the car for MANY years to come and wanted it to have everything I wanted.

I had someone from another forum that was local to the car go and drive it for me and take lots of pictures and forward me the info...the car looked great so I put a deposit on it. From the time of deposit to when I was finally able to fly up to get it was about 3 weeks...and it was a loooong wait. Anyway, I picked it up about 2 1/2 weeks ago, but only got back a little over a week ago. The day after I picked it up I drove 650 miles to Memphis where I stayed with a friend for a week for some good BBQ and fun, then the last 350 miles last Monday. The car is a 2006 IS350 w/ luxury package, navigation, and ML. It actually also has the 17" wheels, which I've grown to like more than the factory 18's I see on every other 2IS. As of now I've taken off the front license plate, need to get some plugs...did the ML nav hack to be able to play DVD's while in motion, hardwired my V1 radar detector to the mirror, and had 28% tint (darkest legal in MS) put on it. I wish I could go darker, but after having 15% on my Supra for the past 2 years...the hassle with registration and attention just isn't worth it. Hopefully I'll move soon and be able to go a bit darker. I'm just copy/pasting what I did in my other threads rather than having to try to type it all out again! Enough talk...here is my journey!

I had originally typed out a huge 3 page (in MSWord) post about the car and how it came to be and the journey of the last 2 months that finally led up to picking up the car. But I figure the car isn't special enough to anyone else, nor would they really understand the bond with my Supra that I had so I'm just not gonna post it. If anyone really wants to read it they can say and I'll post it, but I'm warning you it's a ****ing novel.

Bought a car in WI Monday (Nov. 28th)...drove it to Memphis on Tuesday to stay with a friend, shoot guns, eat ribs and celebrate his b-day.

Wake up Monday at 3:30 AM to get ready...kill me. I was obviously excited so I probably only got about 1 1/2 hours of combined sleep.

Empty airport...this was for the first of three flights of the day. Flew from Hattiesburg, MS -> Memphis, TN -> Detroit, MI -> Madison, WI

Finally arrived in Madison about 12:30PM and went to the dealership to get my new car. They had the car waiting to for my own test drive. This Monday was hell on me...woke up a 3:30AM, was in airports from 4:45AM-12:30PM. I felt pretty bad when I got to the dealership because I know I was a little out of it from being so tired. After getting the car I went and picked up a sandwich and checked into my hotel for a nap...that ended up being all I ate that day. After nap I was supposed to be meeting up with a few local forum members, including the one who looked at the car so I could buy him dinner. Turns out the place we were going closed early it was so late nothing else was really open so we went and got a few beers...ended up in bed at 1:00AM after being up for almost 24 hours on little sleep and no food.

Early Tuesday morning...starting on the 650 mile journey to Memphis

First full tank fill up...I put in 15.002 gallons which works out to about 32MPG..win

Getting in to Arkansas and is that what I think it is?

Yeah, somehow I spent a day up in Wisconsin with no snow, but instead sunny weather and then Arkansas/Tennessee had tons of snow

Crossing the bridge into Memphis

Last edited by HSTexan; 12-15-11 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Split up post to reduce lag
Old 12-15-11, 01:19 PM
HSTexan
Driver

First night in Memphis I head out with my friend to Walgreens to pick up some stuff...some dumb broad gets within 2 feet of backing in to me and I've barely had the car for 24 hours.

Next day I head to Lexus of Memphis to have them program my Lexus Personalized Settings and hopefully check out the LFA that was there...sadly the owner (which is a part owner of the dealership) primarily lives in Denver, so he had the car shipped out there. I will say this too...that is one of the nicest automotive dealerships I have ever been too. Service was top notch, and they even programmed my LPS settings for free since it was my first time there and wanted me to have a good experience. Closest Lexus dealer to me locally is about 75 miles north and I make it to Memphis monthly usually so any major service (that is predictable) will be definitely going to Memphis

Bum around for a couple days and Friday night I convince my friend to go to Charles Vergos' Rendezvous...my treat for his b-day. I'd been to Memphis probably 5-6 times and I've never been to Rendezvous after hearing about it so much. Now...I grew up on Texas cattle BBQ, and their version of pork ribs. I came to the conclusion that both Texas and Memphis BBQ are good at what they do. I like the Texas pork ribs, but the Memphis dry rub ribs are in a completely different category. Very well worth the trip.

The original plan was to get a little duck hunting in, but we both forgot that the season was closed for a couple weeks until the 8th, so we just took some of my guns out instead and shot those. We all had our 12 gauges out as well as my M&P9, 1911, Ruger Mark II Target, and AR-15.

Last night we went over to his parents place and they cooked us all some steaks and potatoes...came home and crashed because we forgot to grab his home brew that he left over there. Got up this morning to some ****-tastic weather for the whole drive.

About 15 miles outside of Memphis I was just cruising along in the rain just trying to pay attention to what I was doing and I look to my left because I see something move out of the corner of my eye. I turn in time to see an 18-wheeler cab hydroplane off the highway and into the median. He blows into the grass and it shoots mud, grass, and rocks all over our side of the highway. It was too late for me to do anything so I plow through. I can hear my car getting hit by small bits so I pull over up the road and find a little mud on the front bumper and roof...major crisis averted thank goodness...almost two things going wrong this trip.

Finally home...one week and 1,000 miles later. Parked next to the old car which will be off to it's new owner within the next few weeks.

Old 12-15-11, 01:34 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice. Congrats. That first pic of the clock reminded me of season 5 HBO The Wire.
Old 12-15-11, 01:40 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good, nice write up and welcome to the forums.
Old 12-15-11, 01:44 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats! wow thats longer than mine, i went 500 miles away to pick up my 350.
Wonder why they have the 17" awd wheels on your ride?
Old 12-15-11, 01:49 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the car and thanks for sharing.!
Old 12-15-11, 01:50 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
congrats! wow thats longer than mine, i went 500 miles away to pick up my 350.
Wonder why they have the 17" awd wheels on your ride?
From what I've read on here in the FAQ and other member's posts it seems as if when the car was ordered with the luxury package the buyer had the option of either the normal 18's or the 17's as no cost options. My guess is the original buyer either liked them more or wanted 17" wheels.

Either way...they will hopefully be replaced with some new wheels soon...figure I'll wait until after winter or until I drive out the current tires.
Old 12-15-11, 01:51 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

op, that was an awesome read. thanks for sharing it with us, and welcome to the 2is section.

(sad to hear that you're getting rid of the supra, though. )
Old 12-15-11, 02:24 PM
birador
Lead Lap

.......and they lived happily ever after,congrats!
Old 12-15-11, 02:32 PM
Mingo209
Driver School Candidate

nice story, congrats!
Old 12-15-11, 02:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! Thanks for sharing & Welcome to CL!
Old 12-15-11, 05:01 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Very cool idea...something I should have done as well since I flew from SC to NJ to get my 350 and drove it back to SC. Another odd thing, I also came across a trucker trailer accident...but thank God it didn't happen right it front of me like yours. Check out the vid of the accident :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0vww...80AUAAAAAAAFAA
Old 12-15-11, 05:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Awesome read, thanks for posting it!
Old 12-15-11, 05:32 PM
is_baby
Lead Lap

Enjoy your new luxury ride! Nice supra btw
Old 12-15-11, 06:05 PM