IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer Scratched Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 07:10 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had instruemnt panel and the steering silver trim replaced today from the local dealership when I gotten my oil change.

Last edited by Sango; 12-18-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-17-11, 09:48 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I just the instruemnt panel and the steering silver trim replace today from the local dealership when I gotten my oil change.
I think you might have accidentally a word or two.

Jeff
Old 12-18-11, 10:23 AM
Wish
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer places the old break pad on plastic plate in trunk now it all scratched up
Old 12-18-11, 11:34 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I think you might have accidentally a word or two.

Jeff
Lol, I typed it too fast. Corrected it on the original post. Instrument panel and steering wheel trims were replaced yesterday. I had them do it at the same time when I come in to perform an oil change since they scatched both of those when they were performing a TSB.
Old 12-18-11, 12:07 PM
ScDoinIt
Rookie

that sucks man. it reminds me of when i bought some hyper voltage wire or w.e they are called for my lexus and i ordered it from carsontoyota. well first i order 2 day shipping not knowing thats when the part gets to them then it will take 2 days. anyway so i asked when should they have it to them they said it takes maybe 3-4 days. i said ok thats fine so i switched it to ground shipping from them to me because if i am waiting more then around a week already then hell i will just be patient and wait and since they are in california to then i figured well i live in woodland hills so yeah shouldnt take that long anyway. Well i call a week later see how it going they say fine just couple days before it gets to them. then i call another week later because it had not arrived and i hear the same thing but they say they will have the parts manager contact me back because that employee did not know anything about my order and i never hear from him( the parts manager) and i forgot about it because i had more important matters in life going on well i thought about it again randomly and it had been another 3 weeks. i call he said he tried call me and he left a voicemail. funny because my phone number doesnt even have an option for the caller to leave a voicemail so that was interesting. and then he said oh yes it is on its way so a week later i finally get it. so i said ok well thats over with i got it now. hey nothing could have gone wrong right? wrong not only did they take forever and a day but they sent me the wrong color!!!!!! i asked them for silver they send me yellow!!!! i was so pissed off when i saw that because i do not even want to deal with them again for anything being shipped. And at this time i was very very busy so just left them sitting and did not even return them i did not have any time to be having to deal with that. so in the end was a complete fail. and everytime i would call them they give me stupid excuses of why their is delay or just play stupid. anyway hope that guy gets u your parts soon. they are the ones that created the damage so they should fix it in a timely fashion.
Old 12-27-11, 03:45 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Kind of a funny update - Got the steering wheel stuff installed last week and during installation, I'm guessing, the right side was scratched again! hahahaha...so I have to wait (who knows how long) again for that part to arrive. Lovely. At least it's being taken care of.
Old 12-27-11, 06:45 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder what the techs are doing in these dealerships to scratch up these trim pieces? I mean c'mon, take care of our cars when it's there. It's all about hustle to finish it up and on to the next car. Techs are paid commission so it's in their best interest to finish cars as fast as they can to make more $, problem is quality of the work . Don't get me wrong, there are techs that do great quality work but most don't really care because it's not their car.
Old 12-27-11, 07:07 PM
LexUser85
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go in and tell them like it is (the manager of course)...tell them exactly what you told us. Your feelings that you think they are playing around with you and see where that gets..
Old 12-27-11, 07:37 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Update here as I spoke too soon.

The cluster is perfect. Problem is the steering wheel trims were scatched again but this time it's the left! So I spoke to the service manager and he seemed frusted that I keep complaining because from the previous times.

He was saying that I cannot keep doing this because if I do, he's getting to the point to tell me to go somewhere else <- actually I think I should bring this to corporate or someome higher because he should not say that and also I may look into take legal action and make a public complaint with the general attoney's office. If the tech did a mistake, they should take care of it. Was saying that it was not warranty and that he's eating it.

I was actually suprized how it was replaced because they grabbed a trim off another car instead of ordering a brand new one which should of been the ideal method.

The cluster part was perfect because they used 3M painters tape all over it so it came out scratch free and supposedly the same with the trim pieces. The trim piece scratches are apparently one of two things; first would be the tools used bcause I see what appears to be tool marks as there are fine lines. The second is possibly how the airbag piece was put back on (since it needs to come off to get access to the trim) the steering wheel and possible contact with the trim's edges scatching them in the process.

They just need to be careful of how they perform their job. Since I'm detailed when it comes to looking for things.
-------

PJJames, so for your case since your trim is scratched up. Tell them to use 3M painter's tape to protect undamaged trim still (including the edges) on the steering wheel and the new trim - this should take care of it as the tape would be removed after everything is put back together and should be scartch free.

Last edited by Sango; 12-27-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-27-11, 09:11 PM
IZZO2FIZZO
Lead Lap

Don't know why some people here are so **** about small things. I would feel bad for you if it was some mechanical or electrical problem but a trim piece c'mon. Get over it. Stop wasting people's time with small insignificant stuff like this. You're only ruining you relationship with the dealer.
Old 12-27-11, 09:37 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

^ I'd have to agree. Don't get me wrong I am pretty meticulous about my car. But some things just aren't worth crying about. Do you have any pics of these scratches? I doubt it looks anything like this...
Old 12-27-11, 09:43 PM
is_baby
Lead Lap

^^ that would def be something to b**ch about haha
Old 12-27-11, 09:46 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IZZO2FIZZO
Don't know why some people here are so **** about small things. I would feel bad for you if it was some mechanical or electrical problem but a trim piece c'mon. Get over it. Stop wasting people's time with small insignificant stuff like this. You're only ruining you relationship with the dealer.
Say huh? If he didnt buy the car with scratched interior then why should he settled for a half-a$$ job? why take it to lexus to let a tech that is supposed to know what proper tools to use and how to not to damage parts of the car. Thats what the big labor rate is for right?
Old 12-27-11, 10:18 PM
IZZO2FIZZO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
Say huh? If he didnt buy the car with scratched interior then why should he settled for a half-a$$ job? why take it to lexus to let a tech that is supposed to know what proper tools to use and how to not to damage parts of the car. Thats what the big labor rate is for right?
All I'm saying is save the Oscar performance for another day. Plus I doubt he'll be going back to the "Stealership" to pay the big labor rate on his 15k 20k 25k etc...
Old 12-27-11, 10:22 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IZZO2FIZZO
All I'm saying is save the Oscar performance for another day. Plus I doubt he'll be going back to the "Stealership" to pay the big labor rate on his 15k 20k 25k etc...
I was just thinking that those trim pieces are not that big. so could those scratches really be that much bigger?

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratched Steering Wheel