IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle shifting problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 10:47 PM
CTran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle shifting problems :(

Whenever I shift into paddle shifting mode it always reads the number 4. Even when I am at a complete stop, it will still be in the 4 position. Anyone know why or how to fix it.
Old 12-10-11, 11:07 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's how it works lol....

Plus they dont actually shift the gears... They are "top gear limiters"
Old 12-10-11, 11:25 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, it's top gear limiter.

If you want paddle shifting, get the IS-F.

Last edited by Sango; 12-11-11 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-10-11, 11:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CTran
Whenever I shift into paddle shifting mode it always reads the number 4. Even when I am at a complete stop, it will still be in the 4 position. Anyone know why or how to fix it.
1) No matter how they're labeled, your car does not have shifters. Your car has an automatic transmission. It's always automatic no matter what "mode" you put it in. If you want something with working shifter paddles you need an IS-F.

2) What you do have it a system to limit the top gear the automatic is allowed to use. This is the one and only thing you can control transmission-wise.

3) When driving around in D the transmission can pick between gears 1-6 depending on what's going on. When you move the stick to S the default setting is to limit the transmission to gears 1-4 (it cuts out the overdrive gears of 5 and 6). This is why you see a "4" displayed. It's not showing what gear it is in, it's showing the maximum gear allowed. The transmission continues to be a fully automatic transmission but limited to a range of 1-4 instead of 1-6.

4) Likewise, if you paddle down one to display 3, the car is not necessarily IN third gear, it's simply now limited to automatically shifting between gears 1, 2, and 3.

In short, your car is working as designed, though not exactly the way Lexus marketing brochures make it sound like it should.

The paddles are fairly useless for performance purposes in most situations. Nice for keeping your brakes from overheating when coming down a mountain or something though.
Old 12-10-11, 11:31 PM
Kentchup
Pole Position

^^ ooo very nice explained! now i know more now
Old 12-11-11, 07:05 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is MY 06-08 different from post-minor change?

My 2010 IS250 gear indicator turns blank when I come to complete stop. Is it normal??
Old 12-11-11, 10:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCWB
Is MY 06-08 different from post-minor change?

My 2010 IS250 gear indicator turns blank when I come to complete stop. Is it normal??
On 06-08 models it displays nothing in D. The paddles also do nothing.

You have to move the stick to "S" for the 4 to appear, and then it (or whatever # you have set as the top gear) stays until you put the stick back into D.

On 09+ models the paddles are enabled even in D, and the if you tap one the car electronically goes into "S" mode temporarily, displaying the max gear in the dash. If you come to a stop (or I think if you just drive long enough without paddling again, not sure on that part) it will revert back to regular D mode.

There's not much practical difference here beyond saving you the effort of moving the stick.
Old 12-11-11, 10:45 AM
Zoli007
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised no aftermarket tuner has tried to fix this. I'm sure its just a case of electronics. If the paddles can limit the transmission, there HAS to be a way to make them tell the transmission when to shift. Its such a shame as the paddles are perfectly placed, the effort required to use them is just right.
Old 12-11-11, 12:46 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

IMO they are a successful marketimg gimick. I use mine 3-5 times a year to make sure they work otherwise they are almost useless. They look like they add value to the driving characteristics but really dont. Oh well, can't have it all. I think the next IS will have legitimate paddle shifters.
Old 12-11-11, 12:50 PM
onelight17
Driver School Candidate

wow i knew everything excpet them being top gear limiters.. they made them sound like actual shifters.. it explains the lag when "shifting" now lol.. other than getting an isf theres no way around this?
Old 01-01-12, 06:05 PM
SOSEIMOTOR
Driver School Candidate

Wow never new that the car wasn't actually shifting. So is it okay to use the paddle shifters on my 2008 is250 as much as i want and as aggressive as i want? I was sort of cautious of using it all the time because i was afraid i would burn out my transmission.
Old 01-01-12, 08:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOSEIMOTOR
Wow never new that the car wasn't actually shifting. So is it okay to use the paddle shifters on my 2008 is250 as much as i want and as aggressive as i want? I was sort of cautious of using it all the time because i was afraid i would burn out my transmission.
well... it's not a great idea to do a lot of big downshift/engine braking... (ie cruising in 5th, you drop the paddles down 2-3 gears and peg the rpms up to 5-6k to slow the car).... but you can't, ever, do anything to kill the transmission in one blow or anything... if you're going too fast for a lower gear it won't let you lock out the higher one...

But again, since they're not actually shifters, being "aggressive" with them won't actually do much for you
Old 01-02-12, 01:06 AM
SOSEIMOTOR
Driver School Candidate

Cool Paddle shifting.

I like paddle shifting. I sort of understand what your saying about it not actually shifting the gears. But i get way more torque and it still feels like i'm shifting gears. Mainly i like the sound of my exhaust when it shifts rpm. I have two is250. One is an automatic and the other is a manual. I realize they weren't meant for racing but who needs the hassle of getting pulled over and if my car was an is-f, i'm sure it would end up in the impound or wrecking yard sooner or later. So with that said, i like the option of the automatic when i just want to cruise and i like paddle shifting when i wish it was a manual. Sort of the best of both worlds. Thanks for the info.