IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rattling Issue with IS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 10:21 AM
Lexus408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Issue with IS350

When driving on a bumpy road or listening to music, I tend to hear a small rattling noise on the passenger side. Not extremely loud but loud enough to annoy me.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-08-11, 10:23 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

I've got this same issue - '11 Is350

It sounds like a rattling in the door / dash on the right hand side when going over bumpy roads.

My sun roof also rattles if I have it in the tilted position but i've heard that this is a common issue.

Haven't been able to figure out wheres its comming from, going to have the dealer look into it when I go for my next service but that we still be a few 1000 miles.
Old 12-08-11, 12:08 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

Have the same issue with my11 is350 and took it to the dealer and they blamed the problem on my coils..they said cause the car is lowered it rattles and thus voids the warranty do technically they didn't even bother looking at it..btw never heard of lowering the car = warranty void ?!?! Wtf is that?!?! Please if your not lowered REPLY HERE!!! And I can take this to Lexus
Old 12-08-11, 12:23 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My '07 IS350 is stock and it rattles. I think there is a TSB for it.
Old 12-08-11, 12:38 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is bone stock and it squeaked and rattled.

squeak was drivers seat tsb (remove plastic pins)

dash rattle happened only in colder weather and was not fixed by dealer even though I took it to them twice.

fixed it myself by cutting a 1 inch black gum eraser into a wedge shape and jamming it between the dash and windshield. You can't even see it but it stopped the dash rattling like magic....

aaaaahh the sound of silence....

it's heavenly

until I tilt my sunroof open... haha
Old 12-08-11, 01:14 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

I'm having issues with ratting and annoying sounds from windows and sunroof as well. Grr hate it..
Old 12-08-11, 01:16 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus408
When driving on a bumpy road or listening to music, I tend to hear a small rattling noise on the passenger side. Not extremely loud but loud enough to annoy me.

Anyone else have this problem?
You'll have to be more specific. What model, year, mileage? Where on the passenger side? Toward the front or back? Dash area, seat area, etc? There are quite a few rattle issues with the 2IS, so it could be many things.

Originally Posted by ajlexus11
Have the same issue with my11 is350 and took it to the dealer and they blamed the problem on my coils..they said cause the car is lowered it rattles and thus voids the warranty do technically they didn't even bother looking at it..btw never heard of lowering the car = warranty void ?!?! Wtf is that?!?! Please if your not lowered REPLY HERE!!! And I can take this to Lexus
You need to do a search on CL and read up on this topic, it's been brought up and stated many times. Modifying your car with aftermarket parts does NOT "void your warranty". Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Your car's entire warranty is not magically "voided" the second you put on an aftermarket product.

When you modify your car with a non-factory product, the only thing that changes to any of your warranties is:

1) The aftermarket part itself is not covered
2) Any damage caused by use or failure of the aftermarket part is not covered

Everything else remains intact. Here are a few examples. If you add an aftermarket sway bar and your navigation fails, they can't refuse to warranty the navigation simply because you modified your car. They would have to show that the aftermarket part itself or the failure of that aftermarket part caused or contributed to the navigation failure, which is highly unlikely.

If you installed a speaker system and your radio went out right afterwards, there's a high likelihood your modifying the speaker system and wiring caused or contributed to the radio failure. In this case, they could legitimately deny your warranty claim.

So your entire warranty is not "voided" when you modify your car. When you modify your car, the only things that are not covered are the aftermarket parts themselves and any damage or problems they cause.

In your particular case, they may be able to legitimately deny your claim. A rattle from the suspension area could very well be attributed to coils. It would be different if you added coils and they denied a sunroof motor warranty claim, since those two things are unrelated. I would recommend trying to isolate exactly what and where the sound is. If you can show it's not the coils, they can't deny your claim.
Old 12-08-11, 01:58 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

Default Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by calvin2376
You'll have to be more specific. What model, year, mileage? Where on the passenger side? Toward the front or back? Dash area, seat area, etc? There are quite a few rattle issues with the 2IS, so it could be many things.

You need to do a search on CL and read up on this topic, it's been brought up and stated many times. Modifying your car with aftermarket parts does NOT "void your warranty". Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Your car's entire warranty is not magically "voided" the second you put on an aftermarket product.

When you modify your car with a non-factory product, the only thing that changes to any of your warranties is:

1) The aftermarket part itself is not covered
2) Any damage caused by use or failure of the aftermarket part is not covered

Everything else remains intact. Here are a few examples. If you add an aftermarket sway bar and your navigation fails, they can't refuse to warranty the navigation simply because you modified your car. They would have to show that the aftermarket part itself or the failure of that aftermarket part caused or contributed to the navigation failure, which is highly unlikely.

If you installed a speaker system and your radio went out right afterwards, there's a high likelihood your modifying the speaker system and wiring caused or contributed to the radio failure. In this case, they could legitimately deny your warranty claim.

So your entire warranty is not "voided" when you modify your car. When you modify your car, the only things that are not covered are the aftermarket parts themselves and any damage or problems they cause.

In your particular case, they may be able to legitimately deny your claim. A rattle from the suspension area could very well be attributed to coils. It would be different if you added coils and they denied a sunroof motor warranty claim, since those two things are unrelated. I would recommend trying to isolate exactly what and where the sound is. If you can show it's not the coils, they can't deny your claim.
I couldn't have said it any better or clearer than you...ima check it out myself and go someplace else...if my brand new cars headliner can come off who know what other problems ima face and they'll blame it on my mods....but yeah I was told by a guy who used to work there that it wouldn't void my warranty so I have that as a back up and the act as a back up and doesn't hurt when u know a lawyer and a stubborn *** brother lol, thanks so much !!!!
Old 12-08-11, 02:27 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

I have had 3 IS's and all of them have rattled like crazy. The steering wheel, the doors, windows, dash...I could literally think of a spot in the car, listen for it...and it'd be rattling! Blows my mind. I've had a lot of cars, mostly used and they've NEVER made the noises the IS's do..and all 3 of mine have been new cars. There is really no way to get around it. As much as it sucks, sometimes taking it to the dealer only makes it worse when they start pulling things apart. I had a BAD vibration and rattle in my passenger side door that I took to the dealer and they couldn't get it to happen for long enough to find the noise. So I took it upon myself to remove the door panel and make sure everything was tied down properly. Well because the guys who did my tint had to take the door panels off (for the speakers by the window) they didnt put 3 of clips back on that hold the door panel on!!! I replaced the clips and the vibration is gone. Whether thats just from me taking it off or replacing the clips...it's solved. That would have been a really simple thing for the dealer to try, but they didn't. Sometimes you just have to live with it or solve it yourself.
Old 12-08-11, 02:31 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

Okay so they voided my warranty cause I have coils on my car nd due to the car being so low I "must" have hit the exhaust on a bump thus "shifting" it forward causing the exhaust to rattle nd thus void warranty yet they couldn't even get the car on the lift ?!?! Make any sense ?!?! Mavis got mt car on the lift when they did the oil change .... Law suit time
Old 12-08-11, 02:43 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 is350. in the past week or so my car has developed a rattle. which is gay because if it was the dash this should of been happening long ago??

anyway if your sitting in the drivers seat it sounds like it coming from where the battery is... and it only rattles while fully stopped in DRIVE, if I put the car in park or neutral... GONE... any ideas?
Old 12-08-11, 03:00 PM
08IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
2007 is350. in the past week or so my car has developed a rattle. which is gay because if it was the dash this should of been happening long ago??

anyway if your sitting in the drivers seat it sounds like it coming from where the battery is... and it only rattles while fully stopped in DRIVE, if I put the car in park or neutral... GONE... any ideas?
My 2008 IS350 have exact same problem. I am thinking about bringing it to dealer. It only rattles when the car is at fully stopped while transmission is in D. I think it is from front passenger side door panel. If I push it or press it, it is gone but as soon as I let go, it comes back. It is annoying though.
Old 12-08-11, 03:03 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vroomin350

You can feel the whole car like vibrating right? When I'm in drive at a light that happens too me too so I throw it in N..wish I knew :'(
Old 12-08-11, 04:17 PM
Lexus408
Pole Position

2011 IS350 F Sport with just over 6,000 miles on it. The rattling noise comes from the front by the glove box. It could possibly be the door as well. I did have my windows tinted a couple months ago and they had to take the door panel off. I am thinking that could be it.
Old 12-08-11, 04:41 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah its a very common issue with the 2IS, many of us have had it, its covered under your standard 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty as well via a TSIB. If you do a search, there's a TON of threads on it

Quick Reply: Rattling Issue with IS350