IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED switch backs installed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 11:02 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default LED switch backs installed.

Decided to throw some 60 smd switchbacks from iJDM toy into my front turn signals. I'm really happy with how they turned out! They are a bit whiter than the Garax 6000k headlights, and v-led parking light, but still look great! At the moment I have them wired into the parking lights, but I may switch over to an ignition power source with a switch in the cabin. When I turn on my signal the white light turns off, and the blinker function normally. I also installed a new turn signal relay to correct the hyper flash, as I installed leds in the rear turn signals as well (isf tails).

EDIT- Photos added from page 2.

Last edited by rcJten; 02-26-12 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 11:14 AM
onelight17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got these they arent here yet thooo
Old 12-05-11, 11:15 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So no more amber? That's awesome. Was it difficult?
Old 12-05-11, 11:42 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
So no more amber? That's awesome. Was it difficult?
They were a bit tougher to install than I originally anticipated. You first have to determine which leads on the bulb go to what: 1 lead for white illumination, 1 lead for amber illumination, and 2 grounds. Then I used the DIY by SLK_DDS located here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0-minutes.html

You do have to shave the bulb slot on the headlights to fit the iJDM toy bulbs in as they are to large to fit. I heard the V-Leds will fit without modification, but they were out of stock, and I wanted the 60 smd that iJDM offers vs. the 48 m-smds offered by vled.
Old 12-05-11, 04:07 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a video and what relay did you go with for no hyper flash? So 6 led bulbs on 1 relay and no hyper flash this i want.
Old 12-06-11, 07:16 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks pretty cool!

Originally Posted by rcJten
At the moment I have them wired into the parking lights, but I may switch over to an ignition power source with a switch in the cabin. When I turn on my signal the white light turns off, and the blinker function normally. I also installed a new turn signal relay to correct the hyper flash, as I installed leds in the rear turn signals as well (isf tails).
So you have them wired to your parking lights AND turn signals right? And by "turn signal relay" did you mean the electronic flasher that you install near the driver's knees?

I wanted the 60 smd that iJDM offers vs. the 48 m-smds offered by vled.
Just curious, why?
Old 12-06-11, 10:35 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brociouz
Looks pretty cool!

So you have them wired to your parking lights AND turn signals right? And by "turn signal relay" did you mean the electronic flasher that you install near the driver's knees?

Just curious, why?
Yes these are wired to both the parking lights for white illumination, and the turn signals for amber illumination. All I needed to do was add a wire for white, as I used the factory 7440 bulb holder.

The turn signal relay is indeed the one near the drivers knees. I picked it up from iJDM as well. It's only $8. It is a plug and play replacement. My only complaint, and this is so nit picky, is that the ticking noise it makes when the signal is on is a bit louder than the factory relay unit.

I went with the 60 smds after reading all the reviews available. I have always been happy with v-leds products, but most people stated their switchbacks weren't as bright as the competitors due to less smds. If for some reason these bulbs end up failing, I will get the v-leds.

If you are really wanting to get the brightest possible you could always go for the autolumination 60-60 switchbacks. On my iJDMS there are 30 amber leds, and 30 white leds. The autoluminations 60-60 (actual led count= 60) leds are dual color, so there is essentially 60 leds for each color. The only downfall is they are $30 each, so $120 to do the fronts. Combined with the fact that they come with no warranty. I read a few reviews in forums, and some claim they have a high failure rate.

I'll take a quick video when I go home for lunch today so you can see the operation.

Last edited by rcJten; 12-06-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 11:16 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

The turn signal relay is indeed the one near the drivers knees. I picked it up from iJDM as well. It's only $8. It is a plug and play replacement. My only complaint, and this is so nit picky, is that the ticking noise it makes when the signal is on is a bit louder than the factory relay unit.
Nice mod, but you do have to take off the bumper to change the turn signal bulbs right?

Also do your blinkers in the front still blink when you lock/unlock door? I remember someone did LED signals too with relay, but his blinkers don't blink when lock/unlocking the door.
Old 12-06-11, 11:22 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info rcJten.
Old 12-06-11, 01:06 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Here's a quick video of them functioning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqIBhi7xt0g

And yes, my lights blink when I lock, unlock the car.
Old 12-06-11, 01:26 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks dope. looks like they are most brightest when your parking/city lights are on, and when the headlight is on it dims down quite a bit. is this correct?
Old 12-06-11, 02:46 PM
AUTO Design
Former Sponsor

Looking good We have the switchback LED for sale too!!

http://www.4aeautodesign.com/apps/we.../701059?page=1
Old 12-06-11, 03:12 PM
NastyIS
Driver

Looks real good, but a little too technical on the wiring for me to jump into.
Old 12-06-11, 03:22 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alias
that looks dope. looks like they are most brightest when your parking/city lights are on, and when the headlight is on it dims down quite a bit. is this correct?
They stay the same brightness regardless of whether the low beam is on or not. My iPhones camera was just trying to adjust to the brighter light of the headlamp.
Old 02-15-12, 03:58 PM
jgarrido
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow!!!
very nice guys +12!!!!!

Quick Reply: LED switch backs installed.