IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best way to sell my car? Private or dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 04:41 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Craigslist will get you alot of joy riders and low ballers but it you have a better chance with that than selling to the dealer unless u are negotiating a good trade in deal. Just be very firm on what you want on your ad and you should be ok. Ive sold two cars on craigslist and had to endure a bunch of low ballers and dreamers but I was always patient and didnt jump on any offer I was given.
Old 12-04-11, 05:24 PM
Kentchup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ yeah i would have to agree as well. Dealer is very fast and easy but will flip the car for more money. But CL/others you just need to play the waiting game for a good while and be firm on the price. lowerballers/tire kickers/ joy riders just come with the craigslist part(which sucks).
Old 12-04-11, 06:43 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

i say go to dealer, save a lots of hassle
Old 12-04-11, 07:24 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more money privately. Faster through the dealer. I trade cars in. I can't stand people low ballin me.... i would rather trade it to the dealer and let them make money.
Old 12-04-11, 07:36 PM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Not to sound repetitive but ad everyone has said, it all depends on YOUR timeframe. Also keep in mind the tax break you get when trading the car into a dealership. And don't deal with only one dealership, go to a few. Haggle with them. If they dont tell you what you want to hear, then walk out. You have the upperhand either way. Good luck brother.
Old 12-04-11, 11:41 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Too many lowballers/flakes on CL. CL is good for cheap cars under $4000. Your next best bet would be autotrader if you're not in a rush to sell.
Old 12-05-11, 06:20 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I've sold many cars in my day. If you're going for the most money, you go private, pay the money and get that bad boy on Autotrader. More than likely you'll still be cheaper for a dealership on Autotrader. Best thing I could say as well is get it detailed, get pictures taken of it (to post on autotrader,clublexus etc) and then go to the dealership to get it appraised. Cant hurt.

I'm about to sell my 350, so I know your pains lol
Old 12-05-11, 06:36 AM
mikecu
8th Gear

Some of these posts talk about joy riders from Craigslist.

There is no reason for anyone to test drive your car without agreeing on the price first.
Old 12-05-11, 06:46 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Lots of great advice and ideas here. Thank you!

I've sold a few used cars on CL. All under $5K without issues. This car is a lot more $$$ so I worry that the buyer will need financing and I don't know how to deal with that.

I traded a car at a dealership for $4k in the pass and didn't have to pay tax on it. What do you guys mean I have to pay the tax on the trade?

My car is all stock so dealership will like that. I really don't want to deal with joy riders so your recommendation on agreeing to a price before a test drive is good advice.
Old 12-05-11, 07:00 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX

I've sold a few used cars on CL. All under $5K without issues. This car is a lot more $$$ so I worry that the buyer will need financing and I don't know how to deal with that.

I traded a car at a dealership for $4k in the pass and didn't have to pay tax on it. What do you guys mean I have to pay the tax on the trade?

My car is all stock so dealership will like that. I really don't want to deal with joy riders so your recommendation on agreeing to a price before a test drive is good advice.
No, you will not pay tax... you get a tax break on the amount your trade-in is worth... If they give you $X for the car... you do not pay tax on that amount as you already paid tax on the car when you bought it.... So if you come in with $10k cask, check etc... that you got for selling your car... you will pay tax on that amount, but if you get $10k for your trade... you will not have to pay tax on $10k of the purchase price of the new one..
Old 12-05-11, 07:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX

Actually you don't pay tax on the trade.
Here in Jersey if I trade in a car worth $20K toward at new vehicle,I save $1400 is sales tax at 7%.
So I would have to sell my car for $21400 just to break even.
Trading in is much easier.No joy riders,ridiculous offers,paying off the car's balance if one etc.
Old 12-05-11, 07:13 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

My car is paid off so I don't have to worry about paying the bank.

I don't plan on buying another car so I won't get a tax break?
Old 12-05-11, 07:29 AM
JayJayPG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yep!
You pay sales tax on the vehicle price less the trade in number.
^This. I think there are a few states where this does not apply, but this should definitely be a factor if you are planning on buying your next car from a dealership instead of a private party. Sometimes the savings in sales tax will offset the lower trade-in value vs. selling your privately. Weigh this against the convenience of not having to list your car, waiting to find the right buyer, etc.
Old 12-05-11, 07:46 AM
jim1949
Driver School Candidate

Default how to sell your car

I've recently sold a Porsche and an Acura by using Autotrader. It worked just fine. a tip: Avoid brokers. Deal with people who want to come see it and drive it before they make an offer.
Old 12-05-11, 07:56 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

AutoTrader listings seems to be all from dealerships. Is there better private party eyeballs than Craigslist?

Quick Reply: Best way to sell my car? Private or dealer?