IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So i bought a daily driver/winter beater! (Non Lexus)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 11:25 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i bought a daily driver/winter beater! (Non Lexus)

Hi All,

As some of you already know i recently sold my 2010 IS250 SFP (garage queen) due to the fact that it was so slow after dumping so much money into it making it look good but still as you all know our IS's are limited power wise.....so after months of working up the power to let go of something i enjoyed looking at and owning so much... i sold the car. The only reason why i sold the car is because i will be picking up a 2010 SFP ISF come spring....no point me getting it now and parking it in the garage for another 4-6 months.....am still lurking lexus forum's and waiting for sales on performance parts for the ISF. I plan to grab a few big things so that when the ISF comes home i'll have parts ready to go.

So in the mean time, as a DD and for Wisconsin harsh winters, i wanted something 4 door and reliable....after weeks of searching on craigslist i found a nice and great priced........

2007 Nighthawk Black Pearl ACURA TL-TYPE S @ 108k miles.......

i didn't care too much on the miles as its still a Honda and i wont be beating it. but this car is pretty fast. hate to say it but i can feel the power comparing to the is250. it also has paddle shift too but i tend to like the is250 paddle shift more. this one is smaller and its a simple click back when the is250 is more of a pull back....also i never been a huge fan of black...i have always loved a bright white....i was actually looking for a white one but seems like 8 of 10 is tan on white....i hate tan.....i was so hard to find white with black interior so i just went with my second choice in color...

so after researching on this car i came across a few clubs for Acuras...one of them is called acurazine......very same like clublexus but mainly of course Acuras.....i signed up and was looking around the site and there is a lot of after market mods for this car...a lot more then the is250.....pretty much anything and everything.....but i told myself i will not mod this car. i will just make it a daily and tastefully adding small add on's ..........(we'll i hope to stick with the plan)

well, enough with the blah blah blah,..........here are some pics....the previous owner had did somethings that im ok with....but a few that i will be taking off forsure.......

If i have known i was going to buy this car i would have kept a few things from my lexus that would have fitted on this car, like my rims and shift **** and..........thats about it..lol

tell me what you think..

He put these aftermarket (i think) fogs on....at first the look seems ok but at night they are really bright blueish white..more of blue. also the location where it is when the low beams and fogs are on, it seems to be too much lights coming from the front. i just ordered some 6000k hid bulbs for the lows and fogs hoping it will match with these lights, otherwise there coming off...also another thing is he wired it to the battery so now when ever i turn the car on they always come on, if i keep them i will be rewiring to a switch...

He also did a carbon wrap on the hood. i never seen this in person, i always thought doing something like this will just look sloppy but it acutally looks good...very clean job....you can't even see the bubbles or wrinkles.....he said that somehow he had alot of scratches as well a few dimples on the hood and instead of getting it repainted he wrapped it.....im still debating what to do about this, i may just keep it but i also checked to see what a new hood painted as well as a actual carbon hood cost is and they both would run about less then 400.....so i might get past this winter and go look for something else....this seems to be a cheap way to get a carbon hood look.

These are the wheels it came with, im also having a issue with the wheel fitment but im getting that fixed later today with some spacers im about to buy. also it came with a upgraded brembo brakes.....thats a bonus i think....hate the rims....but i will use this as my winter rims until spring.

OEM NAV, pretty normal, i never had a car with oem nav before so this is nice to have.

Interior is nice, very clean or a 07 and the seats looks nice.

check out this shift ****, i never knew there was such a thing....feels like im holding a "orange" WHO WANTS IT???

This is the only sticker on the car, ill be taking this off very soon....

Here are some pics of when the previous owner had it. apparently he also did the trunk and roof in carbon be then took it off.

And now, something none of us would ever want. also the main reason why i got stuck with tnexo r rims, and also the same reason why i must spend extra money to get these rims to fit right....

Well i hope like it. again i hope to make it a fun DD for me for the time being until spring. Its kinda like the ISF for acura but of course not the same luxury and price tag as horse....

thanks

Last edited by imports4me; 12-01-11 at 03:08 PM. Reason: resize pics
Old 12-01-11, 11:51 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, the Type-S always been a nice looking ride. They shouldve kept the oem Type-S wheels!
btw resize ur pics!!
Old 12-01-11, 12:00 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

I have always been a fan of that model TL-S. The HID headlights of the TL blow the IS lights out of the water in terms of output and looks.
Old 12-01-11, 12:02 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

good thing thats a winter beater. my daily woulda been an is300. start hunting for your F!
Old 12-01-11, 12:03 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice BUY!!
Old 12-01-11, 12:05 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Good find for a beater. Hopefully u didn't pay more than 10k. I would lose the sticker, shift ****, and the cf vinyl on the hood. Too bad u don't have the type s rims. Everything else looks great. Good luck w your hunt for a Isf. Sfp is the way to go!
Old 12-01-11, 12:07 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Nice pick up! Your pics are so big i feel i'm sitting inside your car, lol..
Old 12-01-11, 12:36 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Nice beater!
Old 12-01-11, 12:41 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Originally Posted by sick
Nice pick up! Your pics are so big i feel i'm sitting inside your car, lol..
LOL. Too funny. But anyway yeah thats a nice find you have there for a beater
Old 12-01-11, 12:51 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

i dont know why my pics are so big now. my camera has always been set up normal and today it loaded big...maybe this is something i adjust on tinypic................

As for the type s rims.............there is a story behind that......i bought it from a guy in chicago. he lives in a rough area and i guess a few weeks ago they stole the oem type s rims, i would have loved to have those rims. i seached to find a set but they go for about 800 used, which will be like 1000 by the time it gets to me.....

so the previous owner needed something quick and bought these ugly tenzo r rims off his friend. the rims didn't clear the brembo brakes so he used spacers, and because of that the front buts are only at 3/4" on. I found someone local that has spacer adapters, which he said at first he has 2-15mm and 2-20mm and selling pretty cheap and just now he texted me saying they are actually all 20mm............so now im thinking if the 20mm spacer adapter will make the wheel stick out from the fender....

any thoughts?
Old 12-01-11, 02:14 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Woot now you can VTec!
Old 12-01-11, 02:50 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't see pics but sounds nice
Old 12-01-11, 03:11 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

sorry i knew this was a pain so i took some extra time to resize the pics.....enjoy
Old 12-01-11, 03:29 PM
leek
Driver

I didn't realize that milk crates were so durable.
Old 12-01-11, 04:34 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leek
I didn't realize that milk crates were so durable.
LOL, +1.

Congrats to OP on the daily! We're all waiting to see what you do you your ISF when you get it .

Quick Reply: So i bought a daily driver/winter beater! (Non Lexus)