IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear ended after only 4 months of owning her...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 11:51 AM
isdouble
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended after only 4 months of owning her...

I was on my way to school like every Monday. Last stop light before my entrance to freeway. Cars are slowing down like usual as it was red. I make my stop behind another 2IS and suddenly I hear a car screeching trying to make a stop. Something in my head tells me Oh god... and a second later.. *CRASH*. I get out the car and see the damage and was heart broken whereas the lady says "Hey it's no biggie, *touches my car to wipe off the marks* see no damage." I kept my cool and asked her for insurance and license. Then she starts to question me if I was going to file a claim for this no damage accident. I tried calling the cops but they told me unless someone is injured no one is coming out to write a report. After information exchange a cop comes by and at this point I was hoping for him to get out of the car and make sure everything is fine and write down a quick report. I guess I was hoping too much as he just leaves the scene with a grin on his face. Hopefully this will resolve very soon...
Attached Thumbnails Rear ended after only 4 months of owning her...-imag0005.jpg  
Old 11-28-11, 11:54 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

**** dude that sucks! Never been in an accident, but there was a time where I was in my mom's car and we got rear ended. Lady tried to play it off in the same way and my mom almost let it go, but I made her pay up. :P

Good luck with getting it repaired!
Old 11-28-11, 11:55 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DUDE..sorry to hear. Wow she had some NERVE!!! Yeah, cops don't write reports for minor traffic collisions. You are lucky that you were rear ended in a way because it's usually Always their fault. Looks like all that'll need to be replaced is the rear bumper skin. Price it out on Sewell and see what the insurance gives you. You might be able to add a rear GFX lip onto it with the cost savings if you talk to the body shop.
Old 11-28-11, 11:59 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn... that sux. At least you made it longer than me in Lexus before an accident. I owned it for 2 weeks after buying it brand spanking new, then some idiot backed up into my passenger-side door.

Looks like she was trying to pull a quick one on you like the guy who hit me. Keep your cool and call her insurance. This is a no-brainer like 99.999% of the rear end accidents... it's definitely her fault. Maybe she was trying to be funny...

The bumper got pushed in and I see the rear under-side panel popped off. Not sure if they can pop it back. It needs to be sand and re-paint... and your good to go. You can try to bargain your way for a new rear-bumper since your car is still new. I asked for a new door

Good luck...
Old 11-28-11, 12:12 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Dam! I'd be pissed! Anyway, like what shadowman said, call her insurance. Have a shop check behind the bumper as well. When i got rear ended in my Mitsubishi Eclipse GST the bumper was only scratches and lifted up a little, but my bumper beam was cracked after that (which means $ as well) so get everything checked out! Also, when the insurance company asks u if your hurt, dont tell them your perfectly fine (if you think you are), tell them you don't know and that you did swing your neck pretty hard just so you get covered if your got any internal injuries.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-11, 12:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about it. Have a body shop check out to see if there is any frame damage or not. If it's just the bumper, get them to replace it with a brand new JDM one. JDM being factory painted from Lexus Japan as replacement bumpers in North America only come pre-primed (unpainted) and needs to be painted.

As for the insurance asking for your injuries and stuff, they may ask what your parents do for living. I remember, my sister in her friends car was rear ended. The insurance ask her friend, what her dad's occupation was, and it happen to be lawyer, so the person documented it down (maybe in case he tries to ask for big compensation from the accident? - this was long ago)
Old 11-28-11, 12:45 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry bro.

True story, I and two cars behind me ran over a fresh retread semi-truck tire (it blew right in front of me!). I managed to flag the driver over to the side of the road and us three vehicles preceeded to write down the truckers info. He had the edacity of coming up my silver Lancer front bumper and preceed to try to rub off the black marks from the tire. I told him to stop right there and that rubbing off marks will not help your case here. Good I guess that I managed to drive away with only cosemtic issues, while the Cobra Stang behind me lost his front lip spoiler and fog lamp AND the Corolla behind him got the worst of it. She lost a quarter of her bumper AND cracked her radiator! Coolant all over the side of the HWY.

BTW, it's near impossible to flag a trucker off the road. So you need to call his phone # on the side of the cab and have his dispatch tell him to pull over. They cannot tell when they lose a tire on their trailer.
Old 11-28-11, 12:51 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

damn, that sucks getting rear ended especially your car is new.. but on the bright side is that her insurance will take care of the damages 100% no brainier bout that. hope everything gets fixed properly, good luck!
Old 11-28-11, 12:52 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Time for an isF rear bumper conversion!!!!

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/1954.html

online: 1463.97
ClubLexus: 1125.72
Old 11-28-11, 01:06 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Thanks for the messages guys! As I was talking to my insurance company, she already filed a claim so I'm waiting on her adjuster to give me a call to take a look at my car. I'm not sure if they are going to replace the bumper or try to repair it. What do you guys think?
Old 11-28-11, 01:13 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have the bumper completely replaced and not repaired. Your car is brand new and there is no need to try to fix something because it will never be perfect.
Old 11-28-11, 01:13 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by isdouble
Thanks for the messages guys! As I was talking to my insurance company, she already filed a claim so I'm waiting on her adjuster to give me a call to take a look at my car. I'm not sure if they are going to replace the bumper or try to repair it. What do you guys think?
Did she say that her adjuster was going to call you and come take a look at your car? Just wondering because there have been sketchy people that will file a claim with their insurance and try and make it seem like they were not at fault in the accident. So all their insurance is covering is their own car. 99% of the time a rear end accident is the fault of the person that hits you though. Just make sure shes not trying to screw you over

And they will definitely replace the bumper. There's probably damage to parts underneath that bumper too that they will discover when doing the estimate.

Make sure you ask for OEM replacement parts during the repair process too
Old 11-28-11, 01:26 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Sorry to hear man, that blows! Yeah a simple "wipe off" and poof... scratches & dent just disappear...lol Some people are straight ridiculous!

Definitely make sure the adjuster prices it on BRAND NEW LEXUS CERTIFIED OEM PARTS and not on parts from wrecked cars or junkyards. An adjuster tried to pull this on my mom with her 5-series after getting the door complete smashed in when a chic backed into her at a parking lot. They ended up forking up the money for the BMW certified OEM parts. It's worth the hassle!
Old 11-28-11, 01:37 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
Sorry to hear man, that blows! Yeah a simple "wipe off" and poof... scratches & dent just disappear...lol Some people are straight ridiculous!

Definitely make sure the adjuster prices it on BRAND NEW LEXUS CERTIFIED OEM PARTS and not on parts from wrecked cars or junkyards. An adjuster tried to pull this on my mom with her 5-series after getting the door complete smashed in when a chic backed into her at a parking lot. They ended up forking up the money for the BMW certified OEM parts. It's worth the hassle!
No joke those insurance adjusters will try and save every penny they can during a claim process if they have to pay out! Make sure you milk them for what you deserve, which is the same parts your car came with! Not some replica bumpers made in China!
Old 11-28-11, 01:59 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, I would be furious if that happened to me (with her saying there wasn't any damage and trying to get out of paying for it). A similar thing happened to me, I was rear ended on the freeway a couple months after buying my car. It's a long story, but the guy who hit me straight up lied when going through the insurance process and said we were at a gas station and I had reversed into him. WTF?! Anyway, after my lawyer sent a letter to him he stopped by my office and gave me cash for the damages. At least I got an upgraded bumper out of the whole fiasco.

Hope you get things resolved quickly. I too recommend a complete bumper cover replacement. It's probably cheaper anyway.

Quick Reply: Rear ended after only 4 months of owning her...