IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear ended after only 4 months of owning her...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 11:02 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing back from dead! The other insurance took 2 months to send me a check according to their inspection. I finally had some time to take my car to Longo Collision Center for repairs. Thought everything will go smoothly but nope! Apparently the other insurance only covers up to $3,000 in damages. WTF? My repair came out to be $3,200 and some change therefore the other insurance told me to go through my insurance now. I called my insurance and explained what's going on and they told me at this point, they will repair the car and get the $3,000 from the other insurance. I can't believe there's such a policy that covers only up to $3,000. It's ridiculous. In the meantime, I'm stuck in a ES350 which is a nice car but it's too comfortable for my taste. I miss my car already!
Old 02-26-12, 11:11 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3200? Was there damage besides what was pictured? I would have had them mail me the check and put on the 1500 ISF bumper that comes painted from Sewell and then had an extra 1500 for other upgrades. I guess they are probably getting you on the labor I dont think its hard to swap out a bumper though.
Old 02-26-12, 11:20 PM
isdouble
Rookie

I went to the shop and saw the list of damaged components. They found out there was more internal damages than they thought. Honestly I don't care about the high labor charges because this accident isn't my fault. Therefore, nothing will be out of my pocket. As long as the repair is done correctly, I would be happy. I'll ask for the list of damage components tomorrow. As for ISF bumper idea, I'll pass on it. I like the OEM look. Funny thing is, when they told me it was around $3200, I thought my exhaust was damaged so I was looking forward to swapping it out for a F-Sport exhaust but it wasn't damaged. Oh well!
Old 02-27-12, 12:24 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I would of took that $3000 and ran.. Getting a new bumper painted would cost ~$1000. Other minor cosmetic damages underneath the car, I could care less about. Pocket $2000 = win win...
Old 02-27-12, 05:18 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

These body shops do a few wacky things to make the bill higher. they could have messed things up themselves so the adjuster would hike up the price of the repairs, this giving them more labor to. It happens all the time in NY. I was rear ended in my previous IS and got the entire GFX kit with F-sport exhaust and intake from my body shop for free. I dont know how he did it. All i know is my car came back with the goodies that I just transferred to my 11 IS =) hope 2014 can use the same parts lol jk.
Old 02-27-12, 05:22 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bumper cover is just the painted plastic bit on the outside. The actual metal bumper bar underneath may have taken the hit and needs to be replaced.

I thought minimum property damage liability coverage was $5,000 in CA, so maybe it's something else like the other party's insurance contesting the appraisal for the work required.
Old 02-27-12, 08:26 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

what kind of laws you guys got in CA??? if any accident in NJ u call the cops and they get a report. No report how you going to prove to insurance you got hit?
Old 02-27-12, 09:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems a lot of fishy stuff going on here. $3200 seems high for a minor rear-ending, but it does seem there could be some damage beyond just the bumper. I just wouldn't expect $3200 worth, considering a painted bumper is $600 or so from Sewell.

The thing that confuses me though is the claim that a cop won't write a report for a minor collision or one not involving injuries. I can speak for Missouri at least, but I have never had a problem getting police to write a report for a minor accident. I was sitting in a parked car and a woman backed into me, dented my front quarter panel, called the cops and they came and wrote a report.
Old 02-27-12, 09:07 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Most cities in CA are broke and don't want to spend any money on these type of things, unless someone gets hurt your on your own.
Old 02-27-12, 09:15 PM
isdouble
Rookie

^
I called the cops because the lady would not cooperate with me. I asked the operator if she can send out a cop to write a report but she told me if noone is hurt and we aren't blocking any traffic, they can't do anything about it. I'm still waiting from my insurance as the appraiser did come out today and wrote a report on it.
Old 02-27-12, 09:39 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that sucks but like sffd said rear end usually always go in your favor.
Old 02-27-12, 10:25 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by isdouble
I called the cops because the lady would not cooperate with me. I asked the operator if she can send out a cop to write a report but she told me if noone is hurt and we aren't blocking any traffic, they can't do anything about it. I'm still waiting from my insurance as the appraiser did come out today and wrote a report on it.
That's so weird. I would've smacked the lady or parked the car in the middle of traffic and then called the cops. Here in FL, cops come when we need them to.

In the your case, I would be furious with the lady. First, you're gonna touch my car and then deny that there aren't any damages? Must be on drugs. Glad you got a good amount of money out of it. Good luck with the repairs...spend wisely

Last edited by Dvo; 02-28-12 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-27-12, 11:28 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mixa86
what kind of laws you guys got in CA??? ............how you going to prove to insurance you got hit?
First, we have crappy laws in CA

Second, that's where taking pictures of the scene, and the cars in their original post-accident location can be very useful.
Old 02-27-12, 11:41 PM
showtymers
Driver

ok there is a problem you might run into here.. by not filing the report first...she is prolly claiming it was your fault.. and i have a friend that was in both aprt of the insurance ... adjuster and claims.. they usually follow the first person who makes the claim.. hopefully thats not the case here..
Old 02-28-12, 12:06 AM
isdouble
Rookie

For everyone that's confused about what's happening here, I'll clear it up a bit. They already admitted fault. Not much you can do when you rear end someone. So they paid me according to their inspection but when I took it to Longo Collision Center (only reason why I chose this place is because nothing is coming out of my pocket ), they told me it will be more than what the other insurance company paid me. However, the lady's insurance only covers up to $3000 and my repair came out a bit higher than that so now they told me to go through my insurance which is why my appraiser came out today and took a report on my vehicle. It's just a headache right now. I just don't have much time to go through with this at the moment. Second midterm as well as Final is coming up very soon. Being Mechanical Engineering doesn't help at all either.. Too HARD!

Quick Reply: Rear ended after only 4 months of owning her...