IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F / Sport Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 12:38 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Looks like the lower plug isn't fully attached to the ecu. Though I've not done this mod, I'd assume that both plugs should be very close to flush against the ecu housing...like the one up top.
Old 07-10-14, 08:19 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Looks like the lower plug isn't fully attached to the ecu. Though I've not done this mod, I'd assume that both plugs should be very close to flush against the ecu housing...like the one up top.
Gville, thanks for the suggestion. As it turns out, the plug was actually fastened appropriately, the only way I know this was that I measured the actual pin length(male) and then subtracted the same amount from the female part closest to the edge of the plug, so that when they connected I knew it was a proper fit. I am not a fan of this type of connector that Lexus uses, they wreaked havoc on my fingers lol.
Old 07-11-14, 11:53 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Odd, but glad you got the thing to work correctly! Enjoy!
Old 07-20-14, 07:35 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So....

4 full sessions at the new Thunderhill West track on Friday, approx 40 laps. The car is a completely different beast. The steering is much more responsive, but more then that the stability control is what I am most impressed with. The car had barely any rear wheel slippage or tire spin compared to before. It was just impossible in the past to exit out of a turn without spinning one of the rear tires. Deffinately able to put a lot more power to the wheels than previous track sessions.

Now to get a front sway bar and some serious rubber to get this snow plow to turn in instead of plowing.
Old 07-21-14, 08:20 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting observation. I didn't realize the stability control was that different. I too can't stand spinning up the inside tire coming out of turns in my 08 IS350 which had me looking onto a LSD but they are just way to expensive. Prior to the ECU update were you running with the stability/traction control completely completely off? That is how I have been running for a while as it is so invasive and cuts 100% of the power when you start to slide. What mode were you running in with the ISF ECU. Any appreciable brake fade or ware as I think the IS350 systems used the brakes to control wheel spin and last time I used it I cooked the breaks within a few laps. If the ISF traction control is that much better this might be in my future.
Old 07-23-14, 02:19 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power mode on, which to the IF steering ECU is the same as sport button. No changes to traction control as I've read that once you change to the IF steering ECU it handles better and lowers most peoples lap times vs traction OFF.

Brake fade initially was an issue. After a couple of laps I realized that I had to ease the brakes on much sooner and do some serious trail braking to alleviate the brake fade. These are heavy cars. I was using EBC Yellow stuff pads, they seem to have held up pretty well. I'll have to see how much wear as I haven't had the wheels off since the track.

I'm thinking Carbotech Pads next time, their expensive as hell but they served me well in a lot of racing/track events in the past. Also some stickier tires, I'm on pilot sports right now.

Also as I stated it's almost impossible to get these cars to rotate as any attempt to power out of corners by nailing the throttle, just causes the car to downshift and spin/lose control of the rear end.

I refused to try to use the paddle shifters as I've come so close to overreving the engine on several occasions on the street. It just shifts WAY to slow when using the paddle shifters.
Old 07-25-14, 08:33 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know for sure if the no power steering after ECU swap is normal, or if that is an issue?

Can you calibrate the ECU without power steering? I thought that trying to force the steering wheel without power steering is bad for some of the steering/front end components?

Has anyone successfully calibrated the ECU themselves, using the Chinese Techstream? If so, do you have any instructions? While trying to calibrate mine, I kept having communication issues. I also never had my 'PS' light come on, but the software says at a certain step that it should be on.
Old 07-25-14, 09:19 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

In my case, my power steering was operating fine after I did the '12 IS-F Steering ECU swap. I did a test drive around the neighborhood and I didn't have any abnormalities. The next day, I drove the car to the dealership (15-20 minute drive) and everything was still working fine.

I'm not sure why we're seeing mixed results with the power steering's behavior after the steering ECU swap...
Old 07-25-14, 10:04 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
In my case, my power steering was operating fine after I did the '12 IS-F Steering ECU swap. I did a test drive around the neighborhood and I didn't have any abnormalities. The next day, I drove the car to the dealership (15-20 minute drive) and everything was still working fine.

I'm not sure why we're seeing mixed results with the power steering's behavior after the steering ECU swap...
Was yours brand new, never calibrated or installed before?
Old 07-25-14, 12:23 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Was yours brand new, never calibrated or installed before?
Yup, I purchased mine brand-new from Sewell. I took a gamble by installing the ECU without having immediate access to techstream for calibration (and when I was doing my own research on CL several months ago, there weren't any first-hand accounts from other users having problems with an uncalibrated ECU like there are now). After the install and test drive, I posted on the IS350 and IS-F Steering ECU threads that I had no issues driving around with my uncalibrated ECU. Seems like the results may vary...
Old 07-25-14, 12:30 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
Yup, I purchased mine brand-new from Sewell. I took a gamble by installing the ECU without having immediate access to techstream for calibration (and when I was doing my own research on CL several months ago, there weren't any first-hand accounts from other users having problems with an uncalibrated ECU like there are now). After the install and test drive, I posted on the IS350 and IS-F Steering ECU threads that I had no issues driving around with my uncalibrated ECU. Seems like the results may vary...
Hmmm... that is very interesting.

I may try again tonight or tomorrow morning and see what I can do.

Don't suppose anyone here has actual experience with techstream? Or a decent DIY?
Old 07-25-14, 06:32 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sewell has 2 different ecu's
The expensive one says it is for 2014-2015 the other less expensive one is for the earlier years.
I'm kind of expecting they are not compatible? Has anyone tried the 2014-2015 in an earlier IS?
Old 07-25-14, 06:37 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Hmmm... that is very interesting.

I may try again tonight or tomorrow morning and see what I can do.

Don't suppose anyone here has actual experience with techstream? Or a decent DIY?
The calibration of the ecu is very easy. I only ever used the program twice and was able to navigate it with ease. I installed and programmed my ecu in 40min
Old 07-25-14, 06:39 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scott1256c
sewell has 2 different ecu's
The expensive one says it is for 2014-2015 the other less expensive one is for the earlier years.
I'm kind of expecting they are not compatible? Has anyone tried the 2014-2015 in an earlier IS?
It's 2013-2014. There won't be a 2015 isf. I just installed the part number ending in "42" (2013-2014) in my 2008, works like a charm.
Old 07-25-14, 06:57 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Compthis
The calibration of the ecu is very easy. I only ever used the program twice and was able to navigate it with ease. I installed and programmed my ecu in 40min
Would you mind explaining the process and your installation?

Did you lose power steering with the new ECU installed? Did the PS light illuminate after the installation?

Which version techstream did you use?

After the installation, I turned the car 'on' but the engine off. Connected techstream, went into EPMS and went into 'utility'. Tried following the instructions but kept having errors or communication issues.

Quick Reply: IS-F / Sport Steering ECU