IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F / Sport Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 08:28 AM
RomeIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the second day having it, and even on normal mode steering is definitely heavier. Worth the money.

CHECK YOUR JUNKYARDS!!!
Old 08-31-12, 03:09 AM
yungsters
Rookie

I got the 2012 IS-F ECU installed and calibrated on my 2006 IS350 two days ago. Granted that the ECU has not fully adjusted to my driving, yet, but here's my feedback so far.

In normal mode, the steering is slightly stiffer than what it used to be. As others have pointed out, with power mode, it is noticeable stiffer and requires more strength to rotate the wheel.

I remember reading somewhere in this thread a question about whether this can upgrade older models to switch into sports shifting mode while in drive when using the paddle shifters (like in newer models). The answer is no.

In my opinion, there is no difference in the shifting at all. Normal mode and power mode still affect the shifting and sensitivity of the gas pedal like it did before. For me, this only affected the steering wheel stiffness.
Old 08-31-12, 06:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

There is no way this would affect anything but the steering. Not sure where you got the idea that it might.

Jeff
Old 08-31-12, 09:50 AM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Also i took my car to highway and defiantly * steering wheel becomes more firmer on highway when car go faster.*

Thanks for Jeff Lange for openning this thread and for his advices.*
Old 08-31-12, 10:18 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Yes the steering is almost as light at parking lot speeds, once you get above about 10km/h (6mph) is when you begin to notice the difference.

Jeff
Old 09-04-12, 11:01 AM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yes if you had the Techstream Lite software and an adapter cable you can calibrate it yourself.

As for going to Lexus, I wouldn't even tell them that you put in one from an IS F or anything like that, just say you had your steering ECU replaced and were instructed to bring it to the dealer to get it calibrated. Not sure what they'll charge you. Probably 0.3-0.5 hours.

Jeff
I was just quoted $208 by Woodfield Lexus to have my new steering ecu installed and calibrated. That said, I think ill just install it myself and find a shop that uses Techstream Lite software.

Anybody care to do a DIY since I have no clue where to begin? I think someone mentioned new mounting brackets will be required going to an ISF ecu...

Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-12, 09:49 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still dont feel the difference between normal and ect power.....
Old 10-08-12, 06:09 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Alantjai
Still dont feel the difference between normal and ect power.....
Since you only have the F-Sport part and not the IS F one, I wouldn't expect any difference. Only the IS F one changes.

Jeff
Old 01-21-13, 02:13 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone please tell me how you're supposed to unplug the harnesses from the ecu?
Thanks!
Old 01-21-13, 02:29 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Since you only have the F-Sport part and not the IS F one, I wouldn't expect any difference. Only the IS F one changes.

Jeff
Jeff, the best part is to get the ISF steering ECU not the IS-Sport ECU right?
Old 01-21-13, 02:58 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

the steering is almost as light at parking lot speeds
my car feels like that now on the freeway very numb, almost like I am steering a pirate ship. there feels like there's slop in the wheel.
I don't feel very confident at all @ high speeds in a bend with cars on either side of me.

Could a newer steering ESU help with this issue?

I have BC coils and sways in my garage ready to be installed, so I am completely stock on OEM NON-Sport suspension.
Old 01-21-13, 03:12 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if this has already been asked, but this sport package ECU Is not compatible with pre-09 ISes, correct? Or would it work with my 07 IS350?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it listed on the Sewell site as available for the 2007 in the F-Sport accessories question. So that probably answers the question... Probably not worth $440 + tax + shipping + installation hassle, though...

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-21-13 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 05:20 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Jeff, the best part is to get the ISF steering ECU not the IS-Sport ECU right?
Yes, I find the IS F steering ECU to be the best choice.

Originally Posted by circuitt
my car feels like that now on the freeway very numb, almost like I am steering a pirate ship. there feels like there's slop in the wheel.
I don't feel very confident at all @ high speeds in a bend with cars on either side of me.

Could a newer steering ESU help with this issue?

I have BC coils and sways in my garage ready to be installed, so I am completely stock on OEM NON-Sport suspension.
It may be able to help, provided there's nothing actually wrong with your car that is causing the loose steering feel.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Sorry if this has already been asked, but this sport package ECU Is not compatible with pre-09 ISes, correct? Or would it work with my 07 IS350?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it listed on the Sewell site as available for the 2007 in the F-Sport accessories question. So that probably answers the question... Probably not worth $440 + tax + shipping + installation hassle, though...
From everything I've seen/heard at the point it seems that all 2IS steering ECU's are functionally interchangeable without issue.

Jeff
Old 01-21-13, 11:07 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

It may be able to help, provided there's nothing actually wrong with your car that is causing the loose steering feel.
I have a CPO so I might have the dealer take a stab at it. I definitely don't feel a connection to the road, (hard to explain) feels like maybe an inch or so slop, so say I am going 80mph on an S curve, first steering left holding that angle, then steering to my right, just doesn't feel very precise.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-20-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 12:26 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new item to my mod list!!

Quick Reply: IS-F / Sport Steering ECU