IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad day for my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 10:40 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best of luck to you, but something tells me it's going to be a larger job than you've estimated above, both in terms of parts and dollars.

Here's one more thing to keep in mind that hasn't been said above. Chances are extremely good that this accident will show up on Carfax and/or Autocheck. You may think that because you're not having it repaired at a body shop or dealer that it won't, but that really doesn't matter. People often erroneously think that only if you report an accident on your insurance does the info go to Carfax. Carfax buys information from insurance companies, motor vehicle departments, law enforcement agencies, etc to get accident information. Here's an article: http://brokensecrets.com/2010/08/23/...carfax-report/

Given that you're making an insurance claim at least for the other car's damage, AND there's presumably a police report, this is almost certainly going to show up. Accidents always ding a car's resale value. But an accident with significant, potentially frame, damage that was repaired with eBay parts by the owner alone? This car will be impossible to resell to any buyer with a positive IQ.

Just wanted to throw that out there as you're deciding on options.
Old 11-16-11, 10:44 AM
uttam24
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ sorry about your accident Chi but i am glad you are ok. The ebay headlights you are talking about they are replicas right made by TYC AFTERMARKET? because oem are way more expensive. IF you are fine with replica then thats a good deal. I might have some parts that you are looking for such as intake, headlights, grille, front rim, DRL bulb. I hope you get everything straighten out. send me text
Old 11-16-11, 10:49 AM
birador
Lead Lap

parts can be replaced,the most important is you who did not hurt,good luck with all your plans!
Old 11-16-11, 11:22 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The situation that you just explained happen to my EX in MY old car, and she was at fault. Even though the on-coming traffic could have avoided it, she was still at fault...something like avoidable collision or whatever.

GL bro!
Old 11-16-11, 11:22 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B16da9
Are you financing the car or fully paid for?
Pretty sure it has to be fully paid for or he can't buy 1 way insurance.
Old 11-16-11, 01:13 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Pretty sure it has to be fully paid for or he can't buy 1 way insurance.
^^ thats true. If you are financing a car you must to have full coverage.
Old 11-16-11, 01:29 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Best of luck to you, but something tells me it's going to be a larger job than you've estimated above, both in terms of parts and dollars.

Here's one more thing to keep in mind that hasn't been said above. Chances are extremely good that this accident will show up on Carfax and/or Autocheck. You may think that because you're not having it repaired at a body shop or dealer that it won't, but that really doesn't matter. People often erroneously think that only if you report an accident on your insurance does the info go to Carfax. Carfax buys information from insurance companies, motor vehicle departments, law enforcement agencies, etc to get accident information. Here's an article: http://brokensecrets.com/2010/08/23/...carfax-report/

Given that you're making an insurance claim at least for the other car's damage, AND there's presumably a police report, this is almost certainly going to show up. Accidents always ding a car's resale value. But an accident with significant, potentially frame, damage that was repaired with eBay parts by the owner alone? This car will be impossible to resell to any buyer with a positive IQ.

That's not entirely accurate. CarFax does not show the type of damage or the circumstances surrounding it. After car searching from June to September I know this all too well. Additionally, CarFax can't get crash info from over 20 states. There is a good article on that somewhere. I also know that all too well as I found out from other means that the car I bought was in a wreck.
Old 11-16-11, 01:40 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376

You'd be surprised....

My brother spun out his Civic in the rain and crashed into a brick wall a couple years ago. A police report was made by the guy whose property the brick wall was on, as well as a separate report i believe for events that led to the accident. The car then went to 2 body shops (one for the original estimate, one where actual repairs where done), went to the Honda dealership twice for airbag replacement and inspection as well. Insurance was of course notified, both my brothers car insurance and the other parties property insurance. To this day, his Carfax report is CLEAN. As a matter of fact, the Carfax says the car is worth $400 more because of its clean title -_-

Carfax is a fail. I'll never trust Carfax or similar companies.
Old 11-16-11, 02:16 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

very likely there's frame damage.....yes, you can replace with new parts....but is the car roadworthy?

cars are always replaceable but not the driver....

good luck
Old 11-16-11, 02:20 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn that looks bad... sorry to see that
Old 11-16-11, 02:24 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
very likely there's frame damage.....yes, you can replace with new parts....but is the car roadworthy?

cars are always replaceable but not the driver....

good luck
+1 should probably get it taken to a shop to ensure that the frame is still good
Old 11-16-11, 02:35 PM
TheDream
Rookie

Damn that hurts to see but good thing you're alright.

Since you don't have comprehensive/collision, it means you paid for the car in full with cash. Didn't you have the money to at least pay for coverage for the time being, even electing a very high deductible?

Make sure you take the car to a frame shop that does work on Lexus and have them make sure everything is back to spec so that the suspension/alignment is back to normal and all the panels line up as they should. Make sure you go with Toyota OEM parts used/new, because in my experience, aftermarket parts may work and get the job done, but they may not fit right and WILL fail in the future (Don't get me started on the number of times I've replaced the driveshafts on my Legend).

Another thing about carfax, the accident probably won't show up on there. Not everything is reported and if you sell it you will have to be upfront about it because chances are they will see the signs of it (weld marks/panel alignment/paint differences).

For the future, I'd suggest getting onto your parent's policy and have them list themselves as the primary drivers and you as the secondary driver to reduce the cost.
Old 11-16-11, 03:10 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding insurance, yes I only have liability. Believe me, EVERYONE had told me to get full coverage on a car like this. However, the quotes I got were just outrageous. I first went to Allstate and those known companies. They wanted anywhere from $4000-6000/6 months. Meaning about $10,000 a year! I bought the car for only $20,300. My current insurance is a local company who gave me the best rate possible which is about $400/6 months for liability alone. They offered full coverage for a little over $2000ish but I can't trust a small company with full coverage. I can't go under my parents since they never driven a car their whole lives. I could go under my brother's or sister's but that will jack up their prices cause every company says it due to my age and car.

About resale value, I don't give a crap about it. I never had the intent to sell my car ever. If anything, I still plan to keep the car until I'm out of school and just give it to my brother or sell it cheap to my friends. I definitely know it kills the value, probably thousands but I'm not selling the car. Police report was filed but the VIN number, you can't tell what this guy wrote, it looks like scribbles. I'll check my VIN in the future on Carfax but I doubt it will appear, not that it'll matter to me, just for curiosity.

About the structure of the car, it's fine. The car runs perfectly, just that the radiator support brackets are bent so the radiator is not mounted properly. The only place that one can tell I had an accident in the metal below the intake box. It's slightly bent but it wouldn't even make a difference whether it's fixed or not. But I will bring it to have it checked out by a shop to make sure everything is fine after I do the repairs.
Old 11-16-11, 03:23 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
dude, im not gonna lie to you. Thats like 15k + worth of damage judging by the photo you provided and your description. It may be a total loss. IMO saving 6k over a year is not worth the 15k + you need to pay for the repair now.

Best of luck to you sir. It pains me to see the picture. On a more positive note, im glad your alright.
Exactly... Since all you had was liability and the accident is apparently your fault, you're stuck with the bill now for your car. Your insurance will pay for the other car but not yours.
Old 11-16-11, 03:44 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0126
That's not entirely accurate. CarFax does not show the type of damage or the circumstances surrounding it. After car searching from June to September I know this all too well. Additionally, CarFax can't get crash info from over 20 states. There is a good article on that somewhere. I also know that all too well as I found out from other means that the car I bought was in a wreck.
Didn't say Carfax shows type and circumstance of accident, only that there's a good chance it'll show up as an accident. While Carfax wouldn't show that it was frame damage and repaired by the owner using used/online parts, a potential buyer would likely ask about the nature of an accident showing up on Carfax, and to lie and say it was done professionally would be fraud.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You'd be surprised....

My brother spun out his Civic in the rain and crashed into a brick wall a couple years ago. A police report was made by the guy whose property the brick wall was on, as well as a separate report i believe for events that led to the accident. The car then went to 2 body shops (one for the original estimate, one where actual repairs where done), went to the Honda dealership twice for airbag replacement and inspection as well. Insurance was of course notified, both my brothers car insurance and the other parties property insurance. To this day, his Carfax report is CLEAN. As a matter of fact, the Carfax says the car is worth $400 more because of its clean title -_-

Carfax is a fail. I'll never trust Carfax or similar companies.
You're right, in many instances Carfax misses things. I only brought it up to raise it as a concern for the OP, in case that helped factor into any of his decisions (e.g. where to have repairs done, etc), since no one else had mentioned it. If resale value is of concern to him (it may not be), then I wouldn't necessarily cross my fingers and hope Carfax misses it, however.

OP - sorry again, hope everything goes well for you on the repairs.

Quick Reply: Bad day for my IS350