IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Two Week IS350 Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 01:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont recommend getting a steering dampener till you figure out why your car is vibrating first. Its possible you might cover up the problem without getting to the root of it.
Old 11-10-11, 01:36 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on purchase OP... Glad you like your car... it's hard not to like...
Old 11-10-11, 02:54 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I dont recommend getting a steering dampener till you figure out why your car is vibrating first. Its possible you might cover up the problem without getting to the root of it.
Thats a good point Llama

If it is something major like mentioned before (bent rim or bad tires) then you want to get it resolved first due to safety issues.

I would still highly reccomend the steering damperner. I drive 80 miles a day on the freeway at about 60-100 (depending if i'm going to be late LOL) and can't even tell there is a road under me as far as the steering wheel is concerned.
Old 11-10-11, 02:57 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i miss my 350, good idea on picking one up congrats!
Old 11-10-11, 03:19 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by birador
80mph wish i could do that here in illinois hiway-sometimes it needs wheel or tire balance but like what the gentleman commented before,there's a steering damper that helps ease or solve vibration,there's a DIY on how to install that part

+1 for your decision on purchasing LEXUS and good luck,
welcome and congrats
The steering damper is not going to solve your vibration issue. This sounds like you have a wheel out of balance. I do not have a steering damper and i have no vibrations at those speeds. My cummute to work everyday is in the speed range of 75-85 and I do live in Chicago.
Old 11-10-11, 04:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to CL....congrats on your new ride. All the items mentioned are great. I agree with balancing the wheels and seeing if one is damaged. let the modding begin! Post a pic of it too!
Old 11-10-11, 05:22 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

congrats on ur new car and hope you will keep enjoying it!
Old 11-10-11, 05:27 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your car is my twin. Good deal. I got mine a few grand moar than you.

Yeah read up on the manual. Coming from a Camry, the IS is so much moar technologically advanced. I was surprised to find out that it even has a low windshield fluid sensor lol.

I have slight vibration at 80mph and up too. I suspect I need an alignment.
Old 11-10-11, 05:39 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoac
Thats a good point Llama

If it is something major like mentioned before (bent rim or bad tires) then you want to get it resolved first due to safety issues.

I would still highly reccomend the steering damperner. I drive 80 miles a day on the freeway at about 60-100 (depending if i'm going to be late LOL) and can't even tell there is a road under me as far as the steering wheel is concerned.

Did you realize a large difference with the steering wheel dampener? Sounds like a good investment if it makes a noticeable difference

Congats on the car OP, and welcome!
Old 11-10-11, 05:49 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

^ Its not a HUGE difference. But it makes all of the vibrations feel muted. Imagine a loud sound, and you cover your ears, it is still there but muted. Now imagine that with the vibrations in your steering wheel.

If I had to do it again I would in half of a heart beat. Best mod for the price out of anything else.
Old 11-10-11, 05:53 PM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Congratz on your new ride. I went the is250 route mainly because I'm A) a poor college student in the army and B) live a 12 hour drive from home so I needed the more fuel economical version. My next is going to be an ISF though :P the 350 is sweet, glad you're liking it.
Old 11-10-11, 06:21 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by my95tsi
The steering damper is not going to solve your vibration issue. This sounds like you have a wheel out of balance. I do not have a steering damper and i have no vibrations at those speeds. My cummute to work everyday is in the speed range of 75-85 and I do live in Chicago.
you're lucky still not catch with state police,legally we only have max 65mph speed limit here,my first statement start with wheel and tire balance and only suggestion comes with the steering damper not recommendation and still it's the owner discretion what will his/her next solution so that's why input are not limited to one member
Old 11-15-11, 01:00 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06

Yeah, we like our 06. Great car, runs like a champ, has the IS-F air intake. We ordered it in October 05, and four months later it arrived. The Insides looks brand spanking new. Never have had a issue with it, except the clear coat sux. It was good for about two years and has gone down hill since.
We plan on getting it redone. Probably have to take it down to Charlotte NC, if I can get DaveGS4 to recommend someone that does good work there.
enjoy your car ! (Wax it a lot !)
Have a good one.
Old 11-15-11, 02:09 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Yeah, we like our 06. Great car, runs like a champ, has the IS-F air intake. We ordered it in October 05, and four months later it arrived. The Insides looks brand spanking new. Never have had a issue with it, except the clear coat sux. It was good for about two years and has gone down hill since.
We plan on getting it redone. Probably have to take it down to Charlotte NC, if I can get DaveGS4 to recommend someone that does good work there.
enjoy your car ! (Wax it a lot !)
Have a good one.
Clearcoat failure after 2 years? My car is 4 years old and paint still looks new.
Old 11-16-11, 06:42 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istarzan
Clearcoat failure after 2 years? My car is 4 years old and paint still looks new.
That's good. Don't get me wrong, the paint on the sides& the paint under the clear plastic on the front are fine. The roof, hood & Trunk is where its gradually faded and pitted away. It looks good from a distance. I always joke it looks great for a 10 year old Lexus,

Quick Reply: My Two Week IS350 Review