Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 02:46 PM
Herblenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better picture for me to count the threads..

Yeah.. Looks like you were only using top 4-6 thread to hold your wheels.. And almost 12 threads til your studs broke. Not sure what type of wheels you are running but you shouldn't be this far away from hubs to lugs. Most Wheels (I have 8 sets of wheels at home) and most are around 4 threads away from hub to lugs.
The following users liked this post:
lakai5 (05-06-22)
Old 02-27-14, 08:32 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking to add 10 mm spacers to my and place my ISF rims on my mk3 supra, couldn't just longer lugs take care of this?
Old 02-28-14, 05:33 AM
ChiLexus10
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 25mm spacers on my Chrysler front and back and they held up perfectly fine all the way up to 185mph.never had any issues with them. Sounds like a user error. 4 threads will not hold a rim. Either buy smaller spacers or get extended studs on the spacers
Old 02-28-14, 03:38 PM
JusticeK
Rookie

Originally Posted by zazzn
I'm looking to add 10 mm spacers to my and place my ISF rims on my mk3 supra, couldn't just longer lugs take care of this?
Recently got a very similar spacer to the ichiba V2 by project kics in 10mm. There should be zero issues as long as its mounted and torqued correctly. No issues for me so far. I recommend them.

Jay
Old 02-28-14, 06:11 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

When anyone ask me what they think of spacers i always tell them to skip that and just go with more offset rims. Go hard or go home.

Last edited by Raybean; 02-28-14 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-14-14, 07:29 PM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

I didn't read all 8 pages but has anyone asked if its alright to run a 5mm spacer in the front to clear is the IS350 BBK? That's all I really need to clear my fronts thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-15, 07:32 AM
Haldol
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. No spacers for me, unless the evidence points to more safe than stock.
Old 04-15-15, 09:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Herblenny
Better picture for me to count the threads..

Yeah.. Looks like you were only using top 4-6 thread to hold your wheels.. And almost 12 threads til your studs broke. Not sure what type of wheels you are running but you shouldn't be this far away from hubs to lugs. Most Wheels (I have 8 sets of wheels at home) and most are around 4 threads away from hub to lugs.
Just an observation, these look like a shear failure. Couple of things: 1) Steel used is inferior 2) Over or under torqued. Likely a combination of the 2.

Have had my 25 mm FRT and 30 mm RR spacers without issues. I periodically inspect the threads and make sure I torque it correctly. So far so good. But sure is scary to hear and see a failed spacer.

I also do not try to drive like a maniac...no extreme lateral forces exerted on the tires...lol. Now that is just me being a wooze.
Old 04-15-15, 06:13 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Herblenny
Hmm.. Sorry to bring an old thread back up.. but I was about to buy some more spacers and ran across this thread..

So, this is what bothers me with this picture.. There are too much threads left on your broken stud on the spacers... Which lead me to think you might of had wrong type of lugs for your wheels or another spacer on top of this. I just checked with my V2 15mm on one of my old SSR and for my lugs to sit flush with the wheels, I have about 4-5 threads from the surface of the hub. On your spacers, looks like you used only 4-5 thread to mount your wheels. This could of been the issue where you were only holding the wheel (weight also plays big) at the edge of your studs, creating too much stress.

Of course, this is just my observations.
This. I'm surprised no one else agreed with this statement or considered this issue.
Old 04-16-15, 07:52 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's why I never thought of installing spacers.

I am engineering student, the spacer must be engineered specifically to your car ONLY.

This is also why you should rethink before buying any "Universal fit" product.

Be careful guys
Old 04-16-15, 10:01 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

And, when you use spacers or deviate from stock offsets with different wheels, you are putting stress on suspension components in areas not designed to handle those loads. Over time, maybe a long time, something will fail.

Lou
Old 04-16-15, 02:22 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
And, when you use spacers or deviate from stock offsets with different wheels, you are putting stress on suspension components in areas not designed to handle those loads. Over time, maybe a long time, something will fail.

Lou
Sorry but you are wrong about the affects of offset on suspension. Most of the car design with multiple magnitude of safety factor so changing offset wont have too much negative.
The worse when before slammed the car with those silly stance.
Old 04-16-15, 08:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^

http://www.ehow.com/list_5791338_whe...pros-cons.html

Lou
Old 04-16-15, 08:15 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I hate spacers !!!!
Old 07-30-15, 02:43 PM
davidblain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
I want to set the record straight, I am not a street racer and I don't try and drift my IS250. I just drive it from point A to point B. Going 15mph over the speed limit is the most aggressive I have been with this car.

So here is the story. I was driving back from Long Island to Philly on 95 south, going 75mph, when suddenly I felt significant vibration. I had a feeling it was the rear wheels where I had installed ICHIBA V2 15mm, I never did feel safe with these spacers. So I drive to the next exit to check it out and what I saw shocked me. Three bolts with the spline nuts broke off from the left rear wheel. This was really scary I could have really messed up my car. Only two nuts were preventing my wheel from flying off on the highway. Before you guys say anything I routinely check that the lug nuts and spacers are torqued to 76 ft lbs, -maybe I needed to check more often.- But seriously these spacers are not even a year old (bought them in March of this year) and 3 bolts broke. AND of course it was night time and I had to stop in a sketchy area right in front of a bodega, however a "very nice" homeless person on a bike offered to help. I'm not a biatch but dudes when I say sketchy I really felt like i was going to be mugged for my rims, tools, underwear etc. Luckily, I was able to remove the piece of ***** spacers, split my spline nuts to have 3 rims being held by 4 nuts and drive home safely to Philly. Anyway I just want to thank UCHIBA for a life lesson. Flushness with these spaces are not worth totaling your car and if it is that important to you then buy the right offsets.

Yeah Yeah, I know didn't happen unless there are pics. So here you go:

Attachment 227545

Did you have original wheels or after market??? I want to put 15mm spacers on my 2011 ISF but I want it to be safe

Quick Reply: Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers