IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 08:29 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??

Hey all...planning to update my stereo system in the next week or so...looking for feedback on components. I have a '12 IS350 it's got the 3-piece components in all four doors with the factory sub in the back. Anyone replaced the stock 3-piece with an aftermarket one? If so, which ones and how's it sound? I hear the 3-piece is quite a pain to tune and get sounding right. Might just roll 2-piece...anyone done this? Any issues with sound or anything with the missing speaker?
Old 10-31-11, 08:47 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed 3 way Morel Elates with an Audison Bit One. After a few hours of tuning all I can say is WOW. I have only replaced the fronts and kept the stock as fillers in the rear. I was deciding between Morel, Focal but The Focals are to bright in in your face. Just my opinion. I then auditioned the 2 ways a what a difference the 3 ways make. If your gonna do it do...do it right and go 3 ways. I also have a JL 12w7 ae and am pushing the sound through the ski port. It sounds amazing in my car and would highly recommend Morel.
Attached Thumbnails Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-011.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-009.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-jl6.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-jl4.jpg  
Old 10-31-11, 08:51 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's all a preference. many installers will tell you that you do not need components in the rear(which you really dont). you just need a good set of coaxials in the rear with a good amp. in terms of 3 or 2 way, it really depends what brand you go for. like ohface said, Focals are very "in your face", but it is what it is. do your research and buy what you think fulfills your taste. i think it's funny because it seems like all of a sudden within the last 3 months, more 2IS members are becoming more aware of Audio which has me posting more frequently

i give it..... 5 minutes before sffd103 replies to this thread
Old 10-31-11, 09:15 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ohface
I just installed 3 way Morel Elates with an Audison Bit One. After a few hours of tuning all I can say is WOW. I have only replaced the fronts and kept the stock as fillers in the rear. I was deciding between Morel, Focal but The Focals are to bright in in your face. Just my opinion. I then auditioned the 2 ways a what a difference the 3 ways make. If your gonna do it do...do it right and go 3 ways. I also have a JL 12w7 ae and am pushing the sound through the ski port. It sounds amazing in my car and would highly recommend Morel.
That's a pretty dope set up you've got there...and in the same exact car I've got only mines a '12 props on your taste! Good to know the 3-way is a better sound and not too much drama to tune. I was leaning that way but was concerned about the adjusting. Prolly only gonna roll a 10w6 in the trunk though, I listen to a lot of metal...don't need so much bass. I've never actually heard of the Morels i'll have to check those out. As far as the tuning goes, that's all adjusted on the amp right? I have the nav system so all that's staying but there isn't a whole lot of sound adjustability on that, so just curious how all that would work.
Old 10-31-11, 09:30 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jaymugg
That's a pretty dope set up you've got there...and in the same exact car I've got only mines a '12 props on your taste! Good to know the 3-way is a better sound and not too much drama to tune. I was leaning that way but was concerned about the adjusting. Prolly only gonna roll a 10w6 in the trunk though, I listen to a lot of metal...don't need so much bass. I've never actually heard of the Morels i'll have to check those out. As far as the tuning goes, that's all adjusted on the amp right? I have the nav system so all that's staying but there isn't a whole lot of sound adjustability on that, so just curious how all that would work.
Thanks man It took me so long to figure out the combo I wanted. The sub install is so clean and i have my whole trunk and able to pull my spare out in 5 seconds if needed. Regarding the tuning it actually comes from the processor. Their is slight adjustments on the amp but it is all from the 3 ways cross over and the processor. It took a lot of work to tune that Audison Bit One but well worth it. You will for sure need professional installation unless you have a knack for messing with these kinds of things. They left my factory amp and ran everything through it so i could keep all functions from bluetooth and navi. When i receive a call it all mutes just like stock and i still have bass treble and fade available to mess with in the head unit settings. I also have a remote for the Bit One that controls all presets, fade, treble, bass on the fly which is incredible. I have 5-6 settings saved on the remote
Old 10-31-11, 09:32 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks man It took me so long to figure out the combo I wanted. The sub install is so clean and i have my whole trunk and able to pull my spare out in 5 seconds if needed. Regarding the tuning it actually comes from the processor. Their is slight adjustments on the amp but it is all from the 3 ways cross over and the processor. It took a lot of work to tune that Audison Bit One but well worth it. You will for sure need professional installation unless you have a knack for messing with these kinds of things. They left my factory amp and ran everything through it so i could keep all functions from bluetooth and navi. When i receive a call it all mutes just like stock and i still have bass treble and fade available to mess with in the head unit settings. I also have a remote for the Bit One that controls all presets, fade, treble, bass on the fly which is incredible. I have 5-6 settings saved on the remote
I can't wait to install my bit.one.
Old 10-31-11, 09:55 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Good call on the professional install bud, no way i'm pullin that off! I have a hook up on audio equipment though, just gotta tell 'em what I want....it's turning into the never ending search! Sounds like your set-up is pretty intense...dunno if i'd even have the know how to operate it to its full potential. I like how they left your factory amp so you didnt lose all the functions with the bluetooth and all. You said you only put the components in the front right? It doesnt throw the sound off at all with the stock speakers in the back? Did you have the Mark Levison speakers stock or just the regular ones? I hear you dont really need components in the back but i've always had them so just curious as to how that all works.
Old 10-31-11, 10:03 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i give it..... 5 minutes before sffd103 replies to this thread [/QUOTE]

hat's funny you say that. Had to take my kids trick or treating. I went with the 3 ways from Hertz up front and a Hertz 3" mid in the center dash. I left the rears alone cause they are just for fill. The Morel is a good speaker brand as well. I also have a JL Audio 12W7 in the trunk firing up to a large hole made in the rear deck. Here is the build thread I made on the system.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html Last pic for eye candy!
Attached Thumbnails Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-stay-stetti-stereo.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-bos-rear-upper-pic.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-eos-rear.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-stereo-bass-knob.jpg   Audio system...2 piece or 3 component speakers??-autosport-5.jpg  

Last edited by Sffd103; 11-01-11 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 11:49 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
i give it..... 5 minutes before sffd103 replies to this thread
hat's funny you say that. Had to take my kids trick or treating. I went with the 3 ways from Hertz up front and a Hertz 3" mid in the center dash. I left the rears alone cause they are just for fill. The Morel is a good speaker brand as well. I also have a JL Audio 12W7 in the trunk firing up to a large hole made in the rear deck. Here is the build thread I made on the system.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html Last pic for eye candy![/QUOTE]

shes scratching your rear bumper paint!!!
Old 11-01-11, 01:16 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

shes scratching your rear bumper paint!!! [/QUOTE]

Janet is THE only one that I will let do that!!!! BIGGEST crush on her!!
Old 11-01-11, 07:38 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jaymugg
Good call on the professional install bud, no way i'm pullin that off! I have a hook up on audio equipment though, just gotta tell 'em what I want....it's turning into the never ending search! Sounds like your set-up is pretty intense...dunno if i'd even have the know how to operate it to its full potential. I like how they left your factory amp so you didnt lose all the functions with the bluetooth and all. You said you only put the components in the front right? It doesnt throw the sound off at all with the stock speakers in the back? Did you have the Mark Levison speakers stock or just the regular ones? I hear you dont really need components in the back but i've always had them so just curious as to how that all works.
No Mark Levinson and having just the rear stock as fillers is plenty. Let me tell you if you sat in my car you would be blown away with how it sounds. The Bit One makes it sound like I replaced all speakers. If there is any way to audition the speakers IN A CAR before you buy I would highly recommend it