IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!! Snapped lugnut

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 12:39 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!! Snapped lugnut

While i was tightening my lugnut i snapped the bottom portion of lugnut. I did have a 5mm slip

on spacer which might have been the cause. I usually torque it to 80 ft lbs, but it snapped

before that. About 2mm of the lug is broken off and threaded on the stud. Does anyone have any

idea how to get this off without damaging my wheels. Please help!

Old 10-16-11, 12:44 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take the rim off? My only suggestion is if you can take the rim off try taking a monkey wrench and getting a good grip on it to slowly screw it off after the rim is off.
Old 10-16-11, 12:48 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

^ no it's threaded on there enough to were it won't budge.
Old 10-16-11, 01:02 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

damn sick sorry to see that happen, I want to offer advice but I am confused... a piece of your nechro lug is stuck on the stud?
Old 10-16-11, 01:16 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, its the bottom portion that snapped in half and its threaded on to the stud. Now i can't get the wheel off. It's crazy because i've always used a 5mm spacer with the same brand lugnut without any problems before. I wish the stud would've broke instead.
Old 10-16-11, 01:49 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

After some searching i found a solution, a little different then my problem, but it should work out lol.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546
Old 10-16-11, 02:33 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Take your wheel off, get a hammer, then start tapping it out. Should fall rite out. Buy a new stud and tap it back in.
Old 10-16-11, 02:48 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
Take your wheel off, get a hammer, then start tapping it out. Should fall rite out. Buy a new stud and tap it back in.
I can't get the wheel off because part of the broken lug is threaded on the stud. I guess i'm gonna have to drill it out and get new studs.
Old 10-16-11, 03:42 PM
sgv2GIS
Rookie

Buy a new stud. Jack up the car, preferably a lift, remove the knuckle assembly from the back (it wont be easy, but possible) tap the stud in from the front, and remove from the back.
Old 10-16-11, 06:32 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sick
I can't get the wheel off because part of the broken lug is threaded on the stud. I guess i'm gonna have to drill it out and get new studs.
so u r saying the lug was a tight fit in the hole in the wheel? Scary... What wheels u running?

If you take the other 4 lugs offf, the wheel SHOULD slip out, and then use a monkey wrench to turn the broken lug.
Old 10-16-11, 06:51 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

No I think he's saying the lug is still seated against the wheel, not like wedged in. My only thing I could suggest would be put some jb weld on the end of the lug that broke, tighten it down again, let it cure, then see if you can break the tension that way. I had a lug strip one time and that worked. Make sure not to put too much if you do cuz it could smoosh out and adhere to your wheel.
Old 10-16-11, 06:58 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

It's kinda hard to tell from the pic, but the 3rd pic is the hole where the lug goes. If you look where i colored in

blue thats the stud and the red circle is the broken peice of the lug that screwed on, which is why i can't get

the wheel off. I'm thinking the only way to go about this is to drill it out, i can't think of a way to turn the broken

lug nut because it's too short.

Old 10-16-11, 07:04 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sick
After some searching i found a solution, a little different then my problem, but it should work out lol.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546
Your kidding right.... I hope so.... I'm wondering if you could take a small drill bit and start to eat away at the portion of the broken lugnut and the stud. You would have to be pretty careful though when drilling so you don't mark up the inside of the Lugnut well. But also i dont how solid of a metal those lugnuts are or the stud. Just an idea...
Old 10-16-11, 07:12 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoAlias
Your kidding right.... I hope so.... I'm wondering if you could take a small drill bit and start to eat away at the portion of the broken lugnut and the stud. You would have to be pretty careful though when drilling so you don't mark up the inside of the Lugnut well. But also i dont how solid of a metal those lugnuts are or the stud. Just an idea...
Haha, yeah. I think drilling is my only option.
Old 10-16-11, 07:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

How many turns of thread broke off? How about a pic of one in good condition next to the broken one.

If the threads are few enough, you'd be best off taking a 10mm punch or brass drift and hammering the stud from the front side to break off the broken piece. You'll definitely need a new stud after this, but they're common as dirt and pretty cheap. Toyota uses the same studs on almost everything, so they're not hard to locate when you need a replacement.

Drilling would be about the most difficult way to solve this problem. I would try it dead last.

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!! Snapped lugnut