IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cracked windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 03:50 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Cracked windsheild

So today I was walking by the car and notice a crack on the windsheild by the mirror on the passenger side :/ I'm sure a few days ago there isn't one. I think it just cracked ... is it possible? I don't remeber being hit by any rocks and don't use the freeway in the past couple weeks or very often at all.

Should I try to get it repair for now and might need to replace later? I have non-deductible on glass insurance, but will a claim like this increase my insurance premium?

Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked windsheild-imgp2396.jpg  
Old 10-15-11, 04:00 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

might as well get it fix now beforethe crack spread. This has happened to me twice already and i gotten it replaced both times with Oem windshields. my insurance took care of it without a deductible.
Old 10-15-11, 04:10 PM
nosurprise
Racer

eh, you mean the crack appear on its own?

I'll call up geico. I'm going to the dealer to get oil change on Monday, probably can check with them too.

EDIT: since you're in AZ, where did you get yours replace? They did good work?

Last edited by nosurprise; 10-15-11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 04:38 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

nah i think it might have been a rock that cause the crack. I got mine replaced through safelite, they took care of all the paperwork and order the windshield for me. You can either go to one of their shops or have them come to your home or workplace whichever is better for you. just make sure you request an OEM windshield or else they will give you a generic one.
Old 10-15-11, 07:10 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specc00
just make sure you request an OEM windshield or else they will give you a generic one.
Safelite did my Audi, no issues (Wiper sensor gave them some grief but it all came out well in the end) ...
Like Spec says, Insurance Co. first tries to get you to take generic, but if you insist on OEM they pretty much do it for you...

V
Old 10-15-11, 10:09 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck getting them to replace it with a Lexus windsheild. I fought Geico tooth and nail over mine.. wasnt paying the diff. so went with pilkington replacement windsheild
Old 10-16-11, 01:13 PM
LDNN
Driver

Instead of letting the insurance company dictate what type to get, why can't we just go to the dealer and let them handle the repair as well as filing the paperwork? I believe insurance all companies have non-deductible for windshield, it must be a safety regulation. However, they may increase your premium because it costs them 400-500 bucks to process each claim and I'd think they want to get that back from you.
Old 10-16-11, 03:49 PM
sgv2GIS
Rookie

The OEM windshield is ridiculously overpriced. You can get a PPG for much cheaper and its the same or better quality. PM me if you want a referral.
Old 10-16-11, 10:57 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

I have got 2 windshields replace by safelite both times with an OEM replacement. I didnt have an issue getting my insurance (Allstate) to pay for the replacement and i didnt have to pay out of pocket. I spent about 20 minutes each time on the phone with safelite, 15 of which was just looking for a time and place that was suited for me but I guess it's different with geico.
Old 10-16-11, 11:16 PM
Niche2425
Rookie

I thought safelite did free chip repairs, but I cant really see the crack on the pic u posted. might be too late now for that free repair though I think they have to be very minor for a free repair aka before it starts cracking.
Old 04-09-13, 08:00 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

i have "the hartford" insurance and just went in to a safelite shop to get my windshield replaced. they wouldnt give me OEM and says that my car is too old and i would have to pay out of pocket. now im going back in thursday for aftermarket. did anyone have a problem with this and will they mess up the dash TSB clips?
Old 04-10-13, 09:33 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

This can go under comprehensive coverage on your insurance claim. Do it!
Old 04-11-13, 11:28 AM
dong888
Pole Position

not really. It depends on your insurance company. I know famers is really bad on this type of stuff. They will pay for non-oem windshield. If you want oem windshield that has lexus logo at the corner, you will have to pay the difference. The exception is that they will only pay for oem windshield if your car is less than 1 year old (or some number, depending on ins company).

My experience is that 21st century (which I used until 4 years ago) and AAA (current insurance) will replace with oem windshield while repair is free without deductible.

I replaced once 7 years ago at the dealership. The bill costs $1200 while I paid $50 deductible. Even though I think safelite could do it for less than $1000 with the oem glass. Dealer \just charge more,
Old 04-11-13, 12:18 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would claims like this increase your insurance premiums? I have always almost paid for everything out of pocket just to keep my premiums down and mainly have insurance for liability. I rather fork out a couple hundred now than pay increased amounts over X years. Was just curious, sorry didn't mean to deter the thread too much.
Old 04-11-13, 04:39 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I think these kinds of claims normally wouldn't increase your premium. When I got it replaced, my premium didn't increase, but it did increase a little bit ($50) in the previous payment -- I'll check on other insurance carriers. Anyways, working with the repair shop, I was able to get Geico to replace with OEM because I complain about non-OEM being more noisy.

Quick Reply: Cracked windsheild