IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VLED DRL Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 10:32 PM
iZ250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VLED DRL Help Please...

I know this question has been dug into the ground, but I have yet to come across a more recent thread on the matter.

I want to get a VLED DRL set for my 2010 is250 with stock OEM HIDs. I emailed vleds about the issue with the car requiring the harness/module etc, "DRL Kit," to prevent flickering and disfunctional output. They replied giving me a link to only these bulbs, 2 V-LED 5k White 7.5W DRL/FOG:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...91119-1-2.html

and said, "These will plug in and will operate, but may not be at its brightest - that's where an HID Module would come in. You may get a bulb out warning - load resistor will fix that. If they flicker, a relay harness may be in order."

On top of that, he even told me to go to forums... and now I'm back here. My question is, has anyone recently bought any VLEDs for the DRLs for a 2010? And whether or not I would need to get the whole kit like this: V-LEDS 5K 9005 HIGH POWER LED DRL KIT?

http://www.v-leds.com/Headlights-Tai...67528-1-2.html

Any further questions, concerns and/or comments are welcome. Thanks.

O yea first post so here you guys go!

Old 10-12-11, 12:01 PM
iZ250
Driver School Candidate

bumpity bump...
Old 10-12-11, 12:41 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iZ250
I know this question has been dug into the ground, but I have yet to come across a more recent thread on the matter.

I want to get a VLED DRL set for my 2010 is250 with stock OEM HIDs. I emailed vleds about the issue with the car requiring the harness/module etc, "DRL Kit," to prevent flickering and disfunctional output. They replied giving me a link to only these bulbs, 2 V-LED 5k White 7.5W DRL/FOG:

and said, "These will plug in and will operate, but may not be at its brightest - that's where an HID Module would come in. You may get a bulb out warning - load resistor will fix that. If they flicker, a relay harness may be in order."

On top of that, he even told me to go to forums... and now I'm back here. My question is, has anyone recently bought any VLEDs for the DRLs for a 2010? And whether or not I would need to get the whole kit like this: V-LEDS 5K 9005 HIGH POWER LED DRL KIT?

http://www.v-leds.com/Headlights-Tai...67528-1-2.html

Any further questions, concerns and/or comments are welcome. Thanks.

O yea first post so here you guys go!

I don't have a 2010 but I can answer your question. It depends on if you want the led to be dim or to be bright. If you get the kit, it will make it bright all the time. If you don't get the kit your led will only get half or lower voltage so it won't be bright and will flicker. You will still see it but it won't be as bright with the module included in the kit.
Old 10-12-11, 01:25 PM
iZ250
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your clear and timely answer. I spent countless hours searching forums for something remotely recent. I think I will spend the extra $30 for the kit just so everything will be covered. I will post some pics, probably in one of the main threads.
Old 10-13-11, 09:13 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I don't have a 2010 but I can answer your question. It depends on if you want the led to be dim or to be bright. If you get the kit, it will make it bright all the time. If you don't get the kit your led will only get half or lower voltage so it won't be bright and will flicker. You will still see it but it won't be as bright with the module included in the kit.
That was the case with the older, 28 LED DRL bulbs, but the newer one (with 4 large LEDs) that the OP linked to runs at maximum brightness with the module/decoder by itself, no need for a relay harness.

Thank you for your clear and timely answer. I spent countless hours searching forums for something remotely recent. I think I will spend the extra $30 for the kit just so everything will be covered. I will post some pics, probably in one of the main threads.
The second LED DRL you linked you to does indeed require a relay harness to run at full brightness. That's the older design, but it's still the brightest one.
Old 10-13-11, 02:38 PM
iZ250
Driver School Candidate

Thank you brociouz.

To clarify: If i were to buy the "newer one" (4 large LEDs), I would also need to buy a module/decoder for each, total 2?

And the install would not invlove drilling through the protector cap? I would only need to hookup the module to the current OEM hookups, plug in the new LEDs into the remaining module plug, stuff the module into the housing, and then plug in the LEDs? Much like the iJDMtoy LED DRL setup is? There will be no issues such as a single light lighting up because theres isnt enough power?

The only downside to this would be that the actual (4 large LED) light would output less than the older 28 LED one?
Old 10-13-11, 09:05 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Yes, you would need 2 decoders. Be careful to make sure they're not sold in pairs though. Nope, no drilling with the newer style. The modules tuck into the area behind the moisture shield. No issues.

Correct, only real downside is that the newer ones aren't as bright. Some also prefer the older style because the individual LEDs scatter the light better/differently.
Old 10-14-11, 10:35 AM
iZ250
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much!!!
Old 10-26-11, 03:40 PM
100degrees
Pole Position

So I was looking into this again.

If I were to get the newer 4 large LED DRL Bulbs:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...90992-1-3.html

I need these modules?:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...97704-1-3.html

In the description, it states not to use the module with any of the DRL bulbs that VLED is selling. So I am stumped. As I am also trying to get LED DRLs without cutting the dust shield.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-26-11, 04:17 PM
JCIS250RWD
Rookie

Forget all these headaches. Take the car to the dealership, slip the guy a $20, and just have him turn off ur DRL's.
Old 10-27-11, 09:59 AM
my1s250
Lead Lap

newer vled drl needs more power thats why you need the harness and one module....older one you don't need the harness but you need the module so that the LED don't flicker and running at maximum output
Old 10-27-11, 10:10 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by 100degrees
So I was looking into this again.

If I were to get the newer 4 large LED DRL Bulbs:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...90992-1-3.html

I need these modules?:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...97704-1-3.html

In the description, it states not to use the module with any of the DRL bulbs that VLED is selling. So I am stumped. As I am also trying to get LED DRLs without cutting the dust shield.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Fascinating. That note about not using them with the 7.5W is new. Perhaps call V-LEDs and see what's up.

Originally Posted by my1s250
newer vled drl needs more power thats why you need the harness and one module....older one you don't need the harness but you need the module so that the LED don't flicker and running at maximum output
It's actually the opposite. The older V-LED DRLs (13W, 28 LEDs) required a relay harness and module because it needed the extra power. The newer V-LED DRLs (7.5W, 4 large LEDs) used to only require a module, no harness, but that disclaimer runs counter to that now. The older style, 13W 28 LEDs, is about twice as bright as the new one, but requires that harness.
Old 10-28-11, 11:07 PM
iZ250
Driver School Candidate

I also came across that as well, and did a little cross checking.

The above set is not under the category of "High Power LED" on their site. (Checked by clicking their link on the left)

Other LEDs, such as their 7.5W H11 and 7.5W H7 fall under the link. Furthermore, the part# of these are H11_15_HP_W_6K and H7_15_HP_W_6K. Safely, to assume that the "HP" stands for High Power. Now when we look at the part# of the original link we have 9005_15_HP_W_5K, again "HP".

And to confuse me further, why would the 9005_DRL_MODULE be referenced as a module used with the 9005 LED category. The only two 9005 DRL LEDs available are the older 13W 28LED and the newer and originally linked 7.5W 4LED model.

So, I believe the newer 4LED model can be safely used in conjunction with the module in order to run at full brightness. I will be making my purchase, 7.5W 4LEDs + 2x 9005 DRL Modules, this weekend and let you all know the outcome, unless anyone can convince me otherwise...
Old 10-30-11, 10:15 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

So, I believe the newer 4LED model can be safely used in conjunction with the module in order to run at full brightness. I will be making my purchase, 7.5W 4LEDs + 2x 9005 DRL Modules, this weekend and let you all know the outcome, unless anyone can convince me otherwise...
This has always been my understanding until that disclaimer confused me. That setup works perfectly fine, I've installed it on a few local members' cars.
Old 10-31-11, 07:07 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

i bought the recommended led module and bulb and installed with no problems no cutting and the module fit into the housing just as everyone stated...

Quick Reply: VLED DRL Help Please...