IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TSB '07 IS 250 HVAC Evap Drain (Service Follow-Up)

Old 10-05-11, 07:46 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB '07 IS 250 HVAC Evap Drain (Service Follow-Up)

Just had my '07 IS250 serviced for HVAC Evap Drain TSB, Lexus of Pembroke Pines took care of it, no questions asked, for free ! Corporate said it was not covered under my Cert Pre-Owned Warranty, but the dealer did it in two hours. I was impressed by their promptness, you just don't see that kind of service in the US anymore, so thought I would give them a thumbs up !!!
Old 10-05-11, 08:50 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this the TSIB you had performed?: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ain-tsib-2.pdf

If so, I see no reason whatsoever this shouldn't be covered by CPO warranty. Here are the items that are expressly excluded by the CPO warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

It looks like the parts replaced for this fix are the drain and packing. I see nothing on the above list that seems to reference or include drain or packing, so that means it should be covered.

Did they give you a reason why they said it wasn't covered by CPO?
Old 10-05-11, 08:56 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Also, what are the symptoms/things to watch out for regarding this issue?
Old 10-05-11, 09:31 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

This is the TSB , TSB 2/09/2010 L-SB-0016-10 . I thought it should be covered too, but when I spoke with corporate they told me it was not. I didn't press the issue with corporate. I just called my local service rep , & they were very polite, and helpful, and repaired it at no cost to me. The carpets were not moldy, at least right now they were not. I was told to keep and eye on them and if needed they would be replaced.
Old 10-05-11, 09:34 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SMigone
This is the TSB , /Users/seanmigone/Desktop/TSIB HVAC Evaporator Drain.pdf , I thought it should be covered too, but when I spoke with corporate they told me it was not. I didn't press the issue with corporate. I just called my local service rep , & they were very polite, and helpful. The carpets were not moldy, at least right now they were not. I was told to keep and eye on them and if needed they would be replaced.
Yours might be an updated version of the TSIB I posted, or maybe an entirely different one.

I'm glad it was eventually covered for you, but I'd really like to hear from others who've had this done whether it's covered by CPO/VSA warranties or not. I can't see any possible reason whatsoever it wouldn't be covered by CPO, and I can tell you if it happens to me on my CPO and they claim not to cover it I'll raise absolute hell. I also feel like in the "Lexus nightmare" thread there are people who said it was covered by extended warranty.

How did you know you were suffering from the issue? Were the carpets damp? Front or rear?
Old 10-05-11, 09:36 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

Symptoms are , A soaking wet carpet in mostly the rear of the car, but I've read that the front can be affected too, and when you have your A/C on there should be a puddle underneath your car when parked, as most cars have. Mine had the wet carpets , and no puddle at all. Being I live in south Florida, and run the A/C almost 365 days a year, this was an important issue.
Old 10-05-11, 09:44 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info Calvin.
Old 10-05-11, 09:46 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

Bottom line is, if your VIN, or year and make fall into the TSB, and you don't have a puddle of water underneath your vehicle after A/C use, the water is draining into something that it should not.
Old 10-05-11, 09:55 AM
tjschraf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this only with the is 250?
Old 10-05-11, 09:58 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SMigone
Bottom line is, if your VIN, or year and make fall into the TSB, and you don't have a puddle of water underneath your vehicle after A/C use, the water is draining into something that it should not.
Interesting, i was told by my dealer that our cars would not have a puddle under them...the drain was designed to drop on a hot engine part and evaporate instead of creating a puddle. (I took it in once because I was concerned at the lack of a puddle--however it is very dry here in Colorado)

Mine does not create any puddle at all--should i worry? I have no wetness or antyhing else that leads me to beleive I might have an issue.

Also how can I tell where mine was made Tahara or TMK?

Last edited by funglenn; 10-05-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 09:58 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

No, check the PDF above. It's a variety of Lexus models, including both IS250 and IS350.
Old 10-06-11, 08:30 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

It does drain right above the transmission, and down onto, or past the exhaust, but it still produces a puddle, at least in mine. I would look at the TSIB, and if your vehicle falls into the category, and your under warranty, as well as having a dealer that will cooperate with you ? I would just ask them to remove the plastic grommet that has been causing the trouble. Thats all it really is ! Its just that they have to put it on a lift, drop the exhaust, and transmission slightly to get to it.
Old 10-06-11, 08:50 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Might sound dumb, but how do you read the VIN and tell if it falls before the 'Production Change Effective VIN' on the pdf?

Has anyone done this outside of warranty? If so, how much is the cost? I'm guessing it's not cheap!
Old 10-06-11, 10:55 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by funglenn
Interesting, i was told by my dealer that our cars would not have a puddle under them...the drain was designed to drop on a hot engine part and evaporate instead of creating a puddle. (I took it in once because I was concerned at the lack of a puddle--however it is very dry here in Colorado)

Mine does not create any puddle at all--should i worry? I have no wetness or antyhing else that leads me to beleive I might have an issue.

Also how can I tell where mine was made Tahara or TMK?
My guess is that the heat from the transmission prevents the water coming out of the drain from freezing in really cold weather. When the drain is working as it should, the water just leaks down the side of the tranny and onto the floor.

I tried to have my nearest dealer perform this TSB outside of warranty but they declined. My carpet wasn't wet or anything but I wanted it done as a preventive measure.

I attempted to pull the drain grommet out myself but my front exhaust bolts were rounded out, which prevented me from removing them. Even with those bolts on, I was able to drop the transmission down about 2 inches and this is barely enough room to get a hand up there to snag that grommet. I ended up using a mirror and snaking my hand with needle nose pliars and tearing the grommet and some other foam like material from the area.

This job is a lot easier with the car on a lift instead of 4 jackstands and laying on your back.

There was guy that mentioned in another thread that the grommet can be pulled if you remove the intake manifold.