IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air Bag Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 05:13 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Warning Light

My air bag warning light came on a few days ago on my '08 250. Any idea why this would be happening? I assume it is some issue with the air bag system but no idea what. I made an appt to take to dealer next week. I will try not to have an accident until then!
Old 08-10-11, 05:18 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, my airbag light has been on for as long as i can remember. The weird thing is, sometimes its on and sometimes its not. I really dont feel like paying to have this checked out though. So i havent... Tell me how it goes, if its urgent then ill get mine checked out too lol.
Old 08-10-11, 05:56 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Is it the SRS light that is on the right of your cluster?
Old 08-10-11, 05:57 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys lol get it fixed.. I had the same problem and its a airbag sensor TSIB. With the light on, NONE of your airbags work so if you get into an accident your screwed.

I had to "Pay" to get it checked out but the dealer fixes the TSIB with no charge to you in the end.

The sensor goes behind the entire dash and along the door supposedly so make sure to inspect they didnt ***** up your dash. Mine has two small rips in it

Needless to say the dealer cut all of my aftermarket items behind the dash without my permission and I will never go to that dealer again.
Old 08-10-11, 06:03 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Yeah it is a tsib had my done last month. They coulda refuse you tho with the wiring. That what my dealer said and make you pay for there time just a head up.
Old 08-11-11, 07:56 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Yes, I beleive it is the SRS light- looks like a seated person with a round bag in front of him her?). I must have missed this TSIB as it appeared that it only applied to the 2006 models and mine is an '08. I have brought this car if for SO many recalls and TSIB's and my 4 year warranty runs out in Nov. Still having vibration at idle even after the top end cleaning. Had a 97 ES 300 before this for 10 years with no problems except a smog issue repair for $300 at year 9. What has happened with Lexus????
Old 08-11-11, 10:32 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

it applies to the 06-08 cause my is and 08. It was done free of charge since im still under warranty.
Old 08-11-11, 11:19 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
guys lol get it fixed.. I had the same problem and its a airbag sensor TSIB. With the light on, NONE of your airbags work so if you get into an accident your screwed.

I had to "Pay" to get it checked out but the dealer fixes the TSIB with no charge to you in the end.

The sensor goes behind the entire dash and along the door supposedly so make sure to inspect they didnt ***** up your dash. Mine has two small rips in it

Needless to say the dealer cut all of my aftermarket items behind the dash without my permission and I will never go to that dealer again.
When did you get yours fixed? Im out of warranty and they wont fix it for free. They said $120 to just inspect it, and they move from there. Im gonna guess they are gonna charge me a fortune, so ive been holding back...
Old 08-11-11, 12:09 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
When did you get yours fixed? Im out of warranty and they wont fix it for free. They said $120 to just inspect it, and they move from there. Im gonna guess they are gonna charge me a fortune, so ive been holding back...
This is the first I've heard of an airbag-related TSIB, so I can't speak to it, but I can tell you this. If there was a known issue on the 2IS that caused the airbag to fail and Toyota even released a TSIB about it, I'd be all over them to cover it no matter what year and mileage I was at. If I were in your situation where I had this issue, was out of warranty, and they wanted to charge me for it, I would do the following:

1) Print off the TSIB and bring it to the dealership

2) Explain that this is a major safety issue and that if they won't cover it, you'll be calling Lexus Corporate and filing a complaint with the NHTSA
Old 08-11-11, 12:24 PM
Jordo609
Driver School Candidate

To add to the list, my light just came on about 2 weeks ago and I have been ignoring it, but obviously figured it was something that I needed to get fixed.
Old 08-11-11, 12:30 PM
Jordo609
Driver School Candidate

I just found this. It has the TSB attached in it and others that had this problem

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ution-tsb.html
Old 08-11-11, 12:33 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Notice it's covered for 72 months/70k miles, for those who thought they might have been out of warranty but aren't.

Print this TSIB and bring it to the dealership if you're out of the above 70k warranty and raise hell if they won't cover it.
Old 08-11-11, 12:53 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Just remember if you out your factory warranty. You still have to pay them to find if that the issue or not. I know sound wrong but that what Lexus does. Reason being papahoff Had to pay for the testing done. Since my car had aftermarket stuff they said if I did anything electrical tapping to my car it would void and I be paying for the service fix.
Old 08-11-11, 12:57 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jordo609
I just found this. It has the TSB attached in it and others that had this problem

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ution-tsb.html
Originally Posted by calvin2376
Notice it's covered for 72 months/70k miles, for those who thought they might have been out of warranty but aren't.

Print this TSIB and bring it to the dealership if you're out of the above 70k warranty and raise hell if they won't cover it.
SWEET! im not over 70k miles I just called the same rep i was talking to who told me it cant be done, and he was being a total douche. I politely told him that other memebers on a forum im involved on told me that had the same issue and it is covered by this TSB for 72 months or 70k miles. He told me that it could be anything, and either way they will charge me for diagnosis. Plus he was being totally condesending. Probably because i proved him wrong, and that im 19. I seriously feel like i dont get treated with nearly the same respect as older adults...Im calling corporate to figure this out. Thanks guys!
Old 08-11-11, 01:35 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by laobo979
Just remember if you out your factory warranty. You still have to pay them to find if that the issue or not. I know sound wrong but that what Lexus does. Reason being papahoff Had to pay for the testing done.
This item is covered by the 72 mo/70k restraint warranty. If a problem is covered by this warranty, then you should not be charged a diagnostic fee. Same as if you had the cam gear issue arise - it's covered by the 70k powertrain warranty, and if the dealership determines that's the problem, you shouldn't have to pay diagnostic fees.

Originally Posted by laobo979
Since my car had aftermarket stuff they said if I did anything electrical tapping to my car it would void and I be paying for the service fix.
This is a flat-out lie if that's what you were told. Lexus can't deny you warranty coverage unless it can be proven that your modification or aftermarket part specifically caused the problem. He may be right that the specific electrical work you did in fact caused the problem. In that case yes, it's all out of pocket. But if you're within the 72 mo/70k mile restraint system warranty and your SRS light comes on and you take it to the dealership and they determine it's due to the problem addressed in the TSIB, they would have to show that whatever you did to your wiring actually CAUSED the problem. They can't just say "your warranty is void because you modified your wiring".

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
SWEET! im not over 70k miles I just called the same rep i was talking to who told me it cant be done, and he was being a total douche. I politely told him that other memebers on a forum im involved on told me that had the same issue and it is covered by this TSB for 72 months or 70k miles. He told me that it could be anything, and either way they will charge me for diagnosis. Plus he was being totally condesending. Probably because i proved him wrong, and that im 19. I seriously feel like i dont get treated with nearly the same respect as older adults...Im calling corporate to figure this out. Thanks guys!
Like I said above, if a problem is covered by warranty, so is the diagnostic fee. If you're out of warranty, that's a whole different story - the dealership could charge you the diagnostic + repair cost, or goodwill a portion or all of it. But if you're under warranty, it should be covered 100%. If I were you, I'd bring my warranty booklet and the printed TSIB over to the dealership and go straight to the service manager.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Warning Light