IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 vs g37s

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 11:15 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually beat a G on the highway. I'm not sure if it was the G35 or G37. But he had an aftermarket EXHUAST and what looked like suspention. Pulled up to him.. He floored it I floored and I just pulled on him and this happened twice.

As far as G or IS in my eyes Lexus is a better brand of cars and the IS looks better with a better inteoir. Plus people who drive G sedans usually act like losers so it was the Lexus for me without even looking at which one if faster before hand. Also the G isn't more reliable then the IS soooo. Clear winner for me
Old 04-22-15, 06:02 AM
LegendIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
I actually beat a G on the highway. I'm not sure if it was the G35 or G37. But he had an aftermarket EXHUAST and what looked like suspention. Pulled up to him.. He floored it I floored and I just pulled on him and this happened twice.

As far as G or IS in my eyes Lexus is a better brand of cars and the IS looks better with a better inteoir. Plus people who drive G sedans usually act like losers so it was the Lexus for me without even looking at which one if faster before hand. Also the G isn't more reliable then the IS soooo. Clear winner for me
Then it's decided, I'm going for a Lexus IS350.
Old 04-22-15, 09:40 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jajajaja well that's something... #ButNotScience lol
Old 04-23-15, 07:24 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas

You sure you can't tell what it was? The g35 and g37 look pretty different. From my experience of driving the Is350, the g37 coupe, and the g37 sedan, the Lexus is quicker. But that was all city driving and accelerating From lower speeds in which the IS should be faster.
Old 04-23-15, 07:37 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LegendIS
i have watched that video, but the majority of videos have the infinity winning, so i am thinking that the is350 in the video was, modded or the infiniti wasn't serious, btw what can i do to increase the performance of a lexus if I'm on a budget
Yeah the majority of videos I've seen in YouTube and other sites usually have the infinity winning as well. Kinda weird since the IS definitely felt faster too me. However it's usually the IS350 getting pulled up top and not from a dig although I have seen it happen....

Anyone on here have any personal experience?? I was set to race a buddy's G37 coupe because he said that my lexus was slow and I wanted to prove him wrong (at the track) but he sold it not too long ago for a GTR and now he's even more of a complete NISMO fanatic... Kinda annoying to be honest lol.

Anyway so that's always left me curious. Has anyone raced a g37?
Old 04-23-15, 08:01 AM
LegendIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
Yeah the majority of videos I've seen in YouTube and other sites usually have the infinity winning as well. Kinda weird since the IS definitely felt faster too me. However it's usually the IS350 getting pulled up top and not from a dig although I have seen it happen....

Anyone on here have any personal experience?? I was set to race a buddy's G37 coupe because he said that my lexus was slow and I wanted to prove him wrong (at the track) but he sold it not too long ago for a GTR and now he's even more of a complete NISMO fanatic... Kinda annoying to be honest lol.

Anyway so that's always left me curious. Has anyone raced a g37?
i tried both lexus is350 and an infiniti g37 2006 and 2011 respectively and even i felt the lexus is350 is faster (or atleast more fun to drive) but the numbers say otherwise, I've seen youtube videos of the infiniti and the lexus going 0-60 and it does seem lexus reaches 60 faster because the lexus reaches that speed while in 2nd gear while the infiniti reaches that speed in third gear which is why lexus is faster in the begining, but since the infiniti is 7 speed , it has the advantage of losing less acceleration in higher gears.
something else i found out when i was doing research was that the lexus is350 has a speed limiter, which at first doesn't seem like anything major but the thing that caught me was that for reaching the lexus is350 top speed where the limiter is set (143mph) you only need to be in 5th gear and you don't need to change 6th gear, and that 6th gear is only there for cruising but if there was no speed limiter the top speed can reach 160-180, or atleast thats what I've read but think its logical.

so my theory is this: if we change the gear ratio in the lexus is350 so that it would reach 143mph in 6th gear instead of 5th, it would be able to reach the top speed of 143mph a lot faster because of the better acceleration (i would do a baseless estimate of 10% to 30% better acceleration ) and would be able to even able to win against the fastest sedans like the mercedes c class amg, bmw m3-m6 and the infiniti g37.

the down side of this is that it will have worst MPG, would go down a significant amount (baseless estimation of 1-4 miles per gallon) based on driving conditions, and i guess lexus wanted their car to have better mpg to make it more of an everyday car , but if they made more gears (which they did in the new models) like infiniti, the older models woudve had been monsters.

i don't know much about mechanics so correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by LegendIS; 04-23-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 11:11 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LegendIS
i tried both lexus is350 and an infiniti g37 2006 and 2011 respectively and even i felt the lexus is350 is faster (or atleast more fun to drive) but the numbers say otherwise, I've seen youtube videos of the infiniti and the lexus going 0-60 and it does seem lexus reaches 60 faster because the lexus reaches that speed while in 2nd gear while the infiniti reaches that speed in third gear which is why lexus is faster in the begining, but since the infiniti is 7 speed , it has the advantage of losing less acceleration in higher gears.
something else i found out when i was doing research was that the lexus is350 has a speed limiter, which at first doesn't seem like anything major but the thing that caught me was that for reaching the lexus is350 top speed where the limiter is set (143mph) you only need to be in 5th gear and you don't need to change 6th gear, and that 6th gear is only there for cruising but if there was no speed limiter the top speed can reach 160-180, or atleast thats what I've read but think its logical.

so my theory is this: if we change the gear ratio in the lexus is350 so that it would reach 143mph in 6th gear instead of 5th, it would be able to reach the top speed of 143mph a lot faster because of the better acceleration (i would do a baseless estimate of 10% to 30% better acceleration ) and would be able to even able to win against the fastest sedans like the mercedes c class amg, bmw m3-m6 and the infiniti g37.

the down side of this is that it will have worst MPG, would go down a significant amount (baseless estimation of 1-4 miles per gallon) based on driving conditions, and i guess lexus wanted their car to have better mpg to make it more of an everyday car , but if they made more gears (which they did in the new models) like infiniti, the older models woudve had been monsters.

i don't know much about mechanics so correct me if I'm wrong.

No speed limiter? Huh. Can anybody tell me what a stock 2007 IS350 is capable of top speed wise? Also anybody increase the top speed without huge negatives like low mpg or prohibitive costs?
Old 04-23-15, 11:20 AM
LegendIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgoorn
No speed limiter? Huh. Can anybody tell me what a stock 2007 IS350 is capable of top speed wise? Also anybody increase the top speed without huge negatives like low mpg or prohibitive costs?
as i said, its capable if going higher speeds, but lexus limited the speed electronically to around 143 mph, i think some people know how to remove it, but they hesitate to say because of liability, or so i have been told.
Old 04-24-15, 11:58 AM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought g37's were strictly coupes, they make 4 doors? I've yet to see one.
Old 04-24-15, 12:27 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RUCKER
I thought g37's were strictly coupes, they make 4 doors? I've yet to see one.
Old 04-25-15, 12:42 AM
eroids
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend has a 2010 g37s 4dr 6speed manual and i have a is350. its a close race but i beat him everytime about a car length and slowly pull. we both have k&n intakes. when i drive his car i miss the 6 speed manual .. the car is beautiful and aggressive but next to my baby its alright :]

Last edited by eroids; 04-25-15 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 01:29 AM
LegendIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eroids
my friend has a 2010 g37s 4dr 6speed manual and i have a is350. its a close race but i beat him everytime about a car length and slowly pull. we both have k&n intakes. when i drive his car i miss the 6 speed manual .. the car is beautiful and aggressive but next to my baby its alright :]

So I guessing of the Infiniti was a 7 speed instead of 6 it would beat the Lexus, no. gears can make a small diffrence In the long run, that's why 7 speed infinitis usually beat the lexus when a Lexus does beat the Infiniti from dig
Old 04-27-15, 07:22 AM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Wow I missed all this activity. Nice vid! Glad to see the IS doing some work. I just finished getting all the work done to my 08 350. Love the new looks and handling. Thing is more awesome to drive. Glad to see you chose the IS350 Legend. You won't be disappointed. To answer your question before. I installed Swift springs, FSport sways, Tokico shocks, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, SS brake lines, ATE blue brake fluid, and already had the F-Sport intake. Car handles awesome. No more body roll and handles flatter. Can't wait to take it to both Autocross and Road race events.

Again the aftermarket has slim pickings in the power/hp department. Only exhaust and intake. Supercharging is not readily available around here and if you find one it will cost you probably half the price of the car. LOL! Not worth it. Car is plenty fun as is especially with the mods I listed.
Old 05-06-15, 02:33 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I was at the drags last weekend. There were 3 G35-37 there. There was a G35 coupe, G35 sedan and G37 coupe. I didn't directly race them but the times they put down were sad. The G35s didn't get below 15s and the G37 put down mid to high 14s. I was no champ with a 14.2 best, 14.4 worst but i was faster than them.
Old 05-06-15, 06:27 PM
IonSpray35
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eroids

My friend also has a G37S with a six speed, 2010 I believe. We raced 8 times straight (on a dig) and I beat him by a car length or so as well. Both bone stock.

With all things being equal (launch, driver experience, conditions) it really depends on when you call it a race. The 2IS is great from 0-110 mph or so. After that it can be anemic. There's a PDF on the forums somewhere from Road and Track comparison with the Acura TL Type S and G35 Sport with a graphic that shows the acceleration among all three. After 100 mph, the TL and G35 start to catch up.