IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Sewell Vent

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 08:35 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shizblam
This is wrong. Basically because it doesn't matter if they guess or not. If you have a Fedex or UPS shipping account, it doesn't matter what you estimate the weight to be. You will be charged the amount that it either weighs or its dimensional weight... Fedex doesn't win... they get the same amount. If you got charged the amount you stated... wouldn't you ALWAYS understate the weight and size?
Sorry, I should have been more clear:

At my dealership when we mail something UPS, we MUST put the weight. No weight known? The trucker will take it but they will charge us more for it. If we think something weighs 4lbs, we say 5. If something weighs 25lbs, we say 26 or whatever. We don't UNDERSTATE, but over state for unknown weights.
Old 09-26-11, 08:42 PM
shizblam
Driver School Candidate

And I'm saying that the package will be weighed and sized at some point by a UPS employee so that you are charged the right amount regardless of the weight and size you put down. Do you really think they trust their customers to not screw them?
Old 09-26-11, 08:49 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

I've worked for several large companys. 1 Apple, 2 Tiffany & Co. We used both FedEx and UPS. One thing that we did there was we weighed every package and charged customers accordingly, if not we ate most of the cost. If they wanted they could pre measure their items before they post it online, its not like they have hundreds of thousands of sku's.

Also its not just $10 more, they charge us $38 for that 1lb package to ship to hawaii (and its not a huge box). The more I think about this the more I feel I got shafted, I think they may have lost me as a customer.
Old 09-26-11, 09:12 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shizblam
And I'm saying that the package will be weighed and sized at some point by a UPS employee so that you are charged the right amount regardless of the weight and size you put down. Do you really think they trust their customers to not screw them?
Excellent point, I am sure they don't just trust their customers. But my point is that if Sewell write 3lbs and its 1lb, FedEx doesn't say crap.

Here is what I ordered and paid for shipping to Atlanta, GA. REMEMBER, shipping is to YOUR zip code, not state.

Shipment 1: Shipping Cost: $10.44 (Small but heavy box) (Delivered in 3 business days)
-Filters: Engine Oil Filter-Oil Filter
-Gasket: Oils and Fluids-Crush Gasket (Oil drain plug)
-Leather Conditioner & Cleaner-Leather Conditioner & Cleaner Set
-Steering Damper-Steering Wheel Shake Damper

Shipment 2: Shipping Cost: $34.39 (HUGE, slightly heavy, awkward box) (Delivered in 3 business days)
-GFX-Front Lip

Shipment 3: Shipping Cost: $11.34 (Large flat box, semi-heavy) (Delivered in 3 business days)
-All-Weather Floor Mats: 2-Piece-Floor Mat Set - Black (RWD)

To me, shipping is not that expensive. I have no room to complain. So what, they might make an extra $2 off of shipping? Doesn't bother me. They didn't have to give me the discount in the beginning. Their discount to us is more than my dealership discount.
Old 09-26-11, 09:19 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by weesped
I've worked for several large companys. 1 Apple, 2 Tiffany & Co. We used both FedEx and UPS. One thing that we did there was we weighed every package and charged customers accordingly, if not we ate most of the cost. If they wanted they could pre measure their items before they post it online, its not like they have hundreds of thousands of sku's.

Also its not just $10 more, they charge us $38 for that 1lb package to ship to hawaii (and its not a huge box). The more I think about this the more I feel I got shafted, I think they may have lost me as a customer.
I totally agree. The only crap part is that it still beats any local business here. hate how everyone gets free shipping on items except us. At least eat some of the shipping cost if you can't give us free shipping damn it!
Old 09-26-11, 09:25 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my little vent about Sewell and how I think some of their business practices are a bit disappointing. Sewell is a name on the forum that was associate with good service and good prices for parts, but the more I buy from them the more disappointed I am.

I just recently ordered a few maintenance items from them (replacement wipers etc), I weighted the items I got and they totaled less than 1lb, but they went ahead and charged me 4lb of fedex shipping, in addition to that my package was missing items!

I emailed them about my missing item asking them to just credit me the money for the item I no longer need it. Instead of emailing me back with a message they just sent me a shipping notification, no apology or anything. Its like dealing with a machine. I remember a few years ago they were all about customer service, not I feel theres defiantly a lack of that. Ok thanks for listening guys!
so weird. same thing happen to me. Got a message from fed ex saying that they left my gfx kit at my door but then nothing is on my door step. So i email sewell and they dont even say anything and just ship me out another one that i haven't even received yet. Sewell
Old 09-26-11, 10:00 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dackp143
Excellent point, I am sure they don't just trust their customers. But my point is that if Sewell write 3lbs and its 1lb, FedEx doesn't say crap.

Here is what I ordered and paid for shipping to Atlanta, GA. REMEMBER, shipping is to YOUR zip code, not state.

Shipment 1: Shipping Cost: $10.44 (Small but heavy box) (Delivered in 3 business days)
-Filters: Engine Oil Filter-Oil Filter
-Gasket: Oils and Fluids-Crush Gasket (Oil drain plug)
-Leather Conditioner & Cleaner-Leather Conditioner & Cleaner Set
-Steering Damper-Steering Wheel Shake Damper

Shipment 2: Shipping Cost: $34.39 (HUGE, slightly heavy, awkward box) (Delivered in 3 business days)
-GFX-Front Lip

Shipment 3: Shipping Cost: $11.34 (Large flat box, semi-heavy) (Delivered in 3 business days)
-All-Weather Floor Mats: 2-Piece-Floor Mat Set - Black (RWD)

To me, shipping is not that expensive. I have no room to complain. So what, they might make an extra $2 off of shipping? Doesn't bother me. They didn't have to give me the discount in the beginning. Their discount to us is more than my dealership discount.
Your wrong FedEx does say something. When you have a business account you type in w/e weight you think it is, when you drop it off they will re-lable the box if the shipping weight you put on is off from the real weight. The labels are all charged to the account so they charge you based off the real shipping weight.

I know this because when we would ship things at Apple (retail) for free to customers, we type in a ball park number, when we brought it to FedEx they re weigh it and print another label with the correct weight.
Old 09-27-11, 04:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The shipping fee is high for say for a couple of air filters or engine cover clips at about $10.If you order a case of oil with the filters or engine clips,the shipping goes to $12 which isn't bad.
You have top order an expensive item or bunch of cheap stuff to make the shipping cost worth it.
Old 09-27-11, 05:49 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, i'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth from Sewell too. They are taking too long to ship my stuff and they are just simple maintenance items. They ignore your emails as well. Maybe Carson Toyota is better to do business with.
Old 09-27-11, 06:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if you think shipping is high, say something to them. i ordered some parts from them before (misc. fasteners and clips) which came to a total of approx 30-40 bucks IIRC. Sewell's site said the shipping for like 60 bucks. i questioned it and they mentioned that their shipping is automatically calculated and that it should have not cost that much. They fixed the problem for me and i believe it dropped down to 10 bucks
Old 09-27-11, 06:14 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

lol at thinking FedEx or UPS does not weigh thing them selves. Like weesped said, when we weigh a package, they will correct it if it's wrong. As a business they can't just "pocket the rest."

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The shipping fee is high for say for a couple of air filters or engine cover clips at about $10.If you order a case of oil with the filters or engine clips,the shipping goes to $12 which isn't bad.
You have top order an expensive item or bunch of cheap stuff to make the shipping cost worth it.
That's a good point. I hate waiting to buy a lot at once though. I like getting what I want when I want lol!

Sewell does have good prices! Yet look at how many customers they get from this site. They should be offering us good prices with the volume this site sends them. This site should get some good money from the Sewell Sponsorship.
Old 09-27-11, 06:17 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitecel
I totally agree. The only crap part is that it still beats any local business here. hate how everyone gets free shipping on items except us. At least eat some of the shipping cost if you can't give us free shipping damn it!
They discount their prices more than anyone on the Internet, and this still isn't good enough? Interesting. It must take a lot to please some of you guys. Maybe they should just give everything away for FREE! Now we are talking! Free GFX everything!

Last edited by dackp143; 09-27-11 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-27-11, 06:20 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Your wrong FedEx does say something. When you have a business account you type in w/e weight you think it is, when you drop it off they will re-lable the box if the shipping weight you put on is off from the real weight. The labels are all charged to the account so they charge you based off the real shipping weight.

I know this because when we would ship things at Apple (retail) for free to customers, we type in a ball park number, when we brought it to FedEx they re weigh it and print another label with the correct weight.
That makes sense, I would definitely have to agree that they do most likely change the shipping. To bad Sewell isn't rich like Apple and can give all the free shipping! :/

If I were you, I guess I wouldn't buy from Sewell then so you don't have to deal with the shipping headache. That's what I would do if I felt ripped off by a company.
Old 09-27-11, 06:31 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dackp143
To bad Sewell isn't rich like Apple and can give all the free shipping! :/.
They may not be as big as Apple. Yet I promise you whoever owns "Sewell" is very wealthy. They are still making money off of us. They are selling a whole hell of a lot more parts than other Lexus dealer's are. Cut prices and make up for it in volume!
Old 09-27-11, 06:35 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

I think if you don't like Sewell, then head to your local dealership and buy from them. Most likely most of you will be spending that $10 shipping charge in gas just to get there and back home let alone you will pay full dealer price. Just sayin

Quick Reply: My Sewell Vent